RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The level sensors in my DEF tank have been slowly dying over the last year or so, so I finally figured it was time and got a tank on order. Of course as soon as I ordered it, they failed completely and the 300 mile until no restart countdown started. Then I found out that the tank had to be backordered and wouldn't arrive in time, so I had to come up with a work around. I remember reading somewhere (here I suspect) that the fix was as simple as touching a jumper wire across the starter relay with the ignition on. I located the relay, plugged a couple of wires into it (points 30 and 87 on the relay), using ring terminals for the tabs and ran it inside the truck to a pushbutton switch. I suspect the hood has to be closed before starting, unless you have the kill switch bypassed. Also, the pushbutton switch is a necessity, because otherwise the starter will keep cranking after the engine starts. The short is it worked great (no pun intended) and I can thumb my nose at the silly EPA requirement. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am with you on this, mine is dead too...waiting on the tank. The countdown happened yesterday and when I pulled into driveway no restart. Weird thing is my DEF gauge jumped up to full yesterday after going down slowly for 6 months. Still no restart though and still have P203E code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am with you on this, mine is dead too...waiting on the tank. The countdown happened yesterday and when I pulled into driveway no restart. Weird thing is my DEF gauge jumped up to full yesterday after going down slowly for 6 months. Still no restart though and still have P203E code.
I believe you have to reset the code. I think you have to use a AffaOBD or go to dealer to do that. You can try a cheap code reader and it may work but I don't thin k so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I believe you have to reset the code. I think you have to use a AffaOBD or go to dealer to do that. You can try a cheap code reader and it may work but I don't thin k so.
Reset the code for DEF fluid/No restart? I have AlfaOBD, that can be done? I reset the code for P203E didnt help.
I'll check it out, anybody know where that might be....AlfaOBD has LOTS of codes. :)

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reset the code for DEF fluid/No restart? I have AlfaOBD, that can be done? I reset the code for P203E didnt help.
I'll check it out, anybody know where that might be....AlfaOBD has LOTS of codes. :)

Thanks for the tip.
Bob, that was something I read somewhere. I have not had any experience with it. Hope you find it. I will look around and see if I can find it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Once the count down gets to zero if you have alpha you can put it in a 40 miles test mode (dont remember exactly what its called) during the 40 miles it well run its own tests and self clear if the issue is fixed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got it into the reset mode. It gives 50 miles on my truck. I noticed there is a SCR DEF fluid level reset in AlfaOBD. It says it is to be used if maintenance is performed on DEF tank. Tried it, but it says: "Failed. Values outside the allowable parameters...."

It is so weird, gauge shows full, but DEF light is on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts