RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Vendor
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are finalizing an EPA compliant tunes that meets all federal regulations for the RAM engine ecm and transmission ecm. We hope to have a 49 state solution in the June time frame (this is contingent on how long covid keeps everyone shut down) and a CARB EO later this summer. The federal tests include: FTP75, HWFEC (highway fuel economy cycle), US06 and SC03 at a certified emission lab.

Once available, both tunes will be delivered with OBD flash tools, no more ecm swaps. Existing customers will need to have dealer overwrite existing tune to bring it back to stock, then the flash tool can be used. It is a virtual read process and that is why it cannot be used over an existing tune. The tool is $200 and reflash is $50 for existing customers, less shipping/handling.

The new tunes drive exactly the same as the older versions. Still 30hp, 65ftlb over stock, less turbo lag, reduced soot formation, cleaner engine oil, minimized risk of fire in intake, and 2-4 mpg gain over recall tune from FCA.

The new engine tune will not support any powertrain hardware modifications, it is designed for stock hardware only.

In order to meet the emission requirements, there were several areas we had to address in the FCA calibration. First off, NOx is the critical emission and most difficult to meet the targets. The temperature of the exhaust system if vital to have good NOx conversion through the SCR cat. We employed a 'fast warm-up' mode on a cold engine to reach 240 C face temp on SCR cat much quicker than factory. This means we are converting NOx earlier in test cycle. Then we had to address the extremely high egr gas temps that are pumped back into the intake. This involved modifying a post injection event, reduce egr flowrate and use more egr cooling to keep gas temps in the plastic intake below melting point of the thermoplastic manifold. Then the injection events (pilots, main and post injections) had to be tweaked to minimize soot formation at the lower Lambda regions. The turbo management needed modification to have the proper pressure drop from exhaust manifold to intake to allow us to not need to use the intake throttle as much as factory as this part hurts efficiency. We also modified the SCR dosing and catalyst storage model to minimize the risk of overdosing, while still dosing enough to get good NOx conversion.

We are pleased with the results thus far. A more responsive vehicle that gets better fuel economy. For those that never had a GDE tune, this is night and day better than what FCA has put out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad to have you back!

Quick question, how do we know if we have the latest FCA stock tune? My PCM was recently flashed at the dealer but the paperwork never said what version they used.

·
Vendor
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the update, glad to have you back!

Quick question, how do we know if we have the latest FCA stock tune? My PCM was recently flashed at the dealer but the paperwork never said what version they used.
Visit the dealer and ask for the service history or just tell them to apply the latest release for the engine and trans.

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
Thanks for the update and for sharing some of the actual specifics involved. Many here will appreciate you taking the extra time to explain. On another note and perhaps on another thread any thoughts or things to share with respects to tune goals and time frame goals for the gen 3?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Since your tune will be fully compliant with all regulations, delivers more HP, better fuel mileage, and a better functioning engine, I can't understand why FCA doesn't license it from you in order to recover from the debacle of their in-house tuning efforts. The PR boost from finally fixing their mess would be worth the cost in reputational damage control alone.

Reactions: JLawley and DJL_57

·
Registered
267 Posts
With your new EPA compliant tune will we still be able to add-on turbo braking, high idle and regen messages?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
While I have replaced my 2014 Ecodiesel which didn't have a GDE tune with a 2020 Pentastar this news is good for everyone with a current Ecodiesel and a desire for one. I am very encouraged by what I have read. THe ability to meet emissions requirements and make the claimed improvements in performance and efficiency is spectacular. I understand it is longer and more costly but would like to recognize and applaud GDE for taking this route. It is a good deal for all of us, whatever we drive.

Nice job Guys!

·
Vendor
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With your new EPA compliant tune will we still be able to add-on turbo braking, high idle and regen messages?
Regen message and engine braking will be options. No more high idle or oil pressure sensing. Trans will still have optional race mode.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great news. The AEM regen is not acceptable to me. Thanks for the continued support....aka life support for the ecodiesel.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thank you for the transparency and thorough post.

How do you use more EGR cooling than FCA to lower the intake temperatures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thank you for the transparency and thorough post.

How do you use more EGR cooling than FCA to lower the intake temperatures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While im not trying to put words in there mouth but a cleaner tune with less soot production would allow the egr cooler to flow better and require less use of the bypass valve.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Similar to the tune we had before. Roughly about 2-4 times the mileage of AEM tune depending on drive cycle. The AEM tune regens once every 50-300 miles and the GDE compliant tune is about once every 200-700 miles.
I am happy with current version, in my 2016 and willing to forgo the $3075 and keep as is at 208,000 miles and 5107 mechanically flawless hours.

Given the above can you offer an opinion between 'as is' vs. the new tune and cashing out the $3075?

The money is irrelevant, another 5 years and 150,000 miles is my goal gifting the truck to my son next Summer when he graduated college.

IMG_1720 (1).jpg

1 - 20 of 175 Posts