RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, Blue, Big Horn, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.55 gear ratio,
27 Posts
Ok, guys with the new tune from GDE, if you get the exhaust brake, can the exhaust brake be turned on and off when you want? I imagine there are time when you may not want it on, such as slippery conditions or maybe neighborhoods that ban its use etc.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Ok, guys with the new tune from GDE, if you get the exhaust brake, can the exhaust brake be turned on and off when you want? I imagine there are time when you may not want it on, such as slippery conditions or maybe neighborhoods that ban its use etc.
It can not be turned off. If it hasn't changed, it only activates above 2k rpm and when off the throttle.

It is a turbo brake, not the typical exhaust brake you're thinking of that creates all the extra noise. It will not cause issues in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed the new tune and put about 40 miles on it thus far (not a lot, I know.) The new transmission logic keeps the RPMs pretty low when not in Tow/Haul mode and I hardly notice any engine braking. As soon as I turned on Tow/Haul mode the shift logic keeps the RPMs higher and the increased engine braking was definitely noticeable. I don't see any potential for creating any issues on slippery roads and the noise increase is negligible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, so now a new question has come up for me. What happens when Ram issues a recall that requires the engine controller to be flashed to address a major issue. I know we can revert back to factory tune and take it in, but in the case of say a crankshaft position sensor that they are changing what the controller is looking for To address a shutdown/no start scenario, now your factory tune would be fixed but not the GDE tune. In theory the issue could still occur with your GDE tune running. Will GDE issue some sort of free patch, or will we have to recopy the factory tune and send it back in like when we first bought it and hopefully receive a revised copy free? Or will we have to pay for some kind of update or something? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm just guessing, but it will probably be a $50 update fee just as it was before the EPA crackdown.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm just guessing, but it will probably be a $50 update fee just as it was before the EPA crackdown.
Ok so, I make a decision to go ahead and order a tune, but Ram announces a new recall just before I order. Now I would need to wait 1or 2+ months for Ram to figure their stuff out and issue the fixes before I can go ahead and get a tune ordered or I will be setting myself up to have to pay another $50 right away. Hmm. Then there is no saying they won’t issue another recall and have to shell another $50 to make sure the truck is safe again. I can understand if it was a matter of “ Hey now we have a new version that adds more economy or more power etc, upgrade now for $50.” But Pay for update to fix a recall especially if a safety recap In the base function of the software it is based on really is a bummer.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ok so, I make a decision to go ahead and order a tune, but Ram announces a new recall just before I order. Now I would need to wait 1or 2+ months for Ram to figure their stuff out and issue the fixes before I can go ahead and get a tune ordered or I will be setting myself up to have to pay another $50 right away. Hmm. Then there is no saying they won’t issue another recall and have to shell another $50 to make sure the truck is safe again. I can understand if it was a matter of “ Hey now we have a new version that adds more economy or more power etc, upgrade now for $50.” But Pay for update to fix a recall especially if a safety recap In the base function of the software it is based on really is a bummer.
Do you feel the truck is safe now? Not all recalls need to be done. My truck is multiple recalls behind and well never get all done while I own it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s always safe until it is not. Kinda like it is ok to break the law, it’s not hurting anyone... until it does, or you get caught. I figure if it is a big enough issue that a company like Ram is commuting resources and money to it. It should be taken seriously. Companies like that don’t spend money on something unless they have too. I can think of a number of situations that an engine dying unexpectedly and not restarting could be very dangerous. Evidently Ram does too.

Don’t get me wrong I have had vehicles in the past that I procrastinated and never got certain recalls addressed and I am sure many others do too. But we should not be pushed into that corner because we would have to pay to get it fixed. Sounds like a bit of a liability issue for a company to me.

To each his own, some people I am sure this doesn’t bother. But I know where I stand on the idea. Be interesting to here GDE’s official response and see if this is infact truely how they would handle it.

·
Vendor
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
^^^ FCA is 15 years late to the party here. Bosch has had cam sensor logic to run an engine without crank synchronization for a long time. This software is just a band-aid to let to limp the vehicle to a shop to have reluctor wheel replaced, vs. leaving you stranded on the road. The recall does not fix the underlying issue with the design, unfortunately. We charge $50 for updates if FCA changes the software as it is time intensive to build these tunes the way we are doing it. Just because FCA messed up and is doing another recall, does not mean GDE should eat the cost of their mistake.

·
Registered
346 Posts
^^^ FCA is 15 years late to the party here. Bosch has had cam sensor logic to run an engine without crank synchronization for a long time. This software is just a band-aid to let to limp the vehicle to a shop to have reluctor wheel replaced, vs. leaving you stranded on the road. The recall does not fix the underlying issue with the design, unfortunately. We charge $50 for updates if FCA changes the software as it is time intensive to build these tunes the way we are doing it. Just because FCA messed up and is doing another recall, does not mean GDE should eat the cost of their mistake.
Since the very beginning of this recall, I've understood why FCA pushed out the "band-aid recall". But, why are ECOs manufactured after 3/1/18 not included ... did they fix the software or the actual problem after 3/1/18 ?

·
Registered
2020 Laramie EcoDiesel
15 Posts
Any updates on releasing a 2020 tune? Mine has a terrible lag/dead spot in certain situations at low rpm that is incredibly frustrating. Just hopeful to see one offered in the next few months or so, I understand there is 4 season tasting that needs to be done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I’d also like to get some performance estimates on the new tune. What are you seeing for HP and torque gains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
104 Posts
I’ve had the GDE Hot Tune on my 2014 ED for a couple months. Aside from the ever popular HP and torque numbers, the greatly improved drive-ability is the biggest benefit.

No cold turbo lag, no numb go pedal, no surging, cleaner running and better shifting. To me this is way more compelling than big power numbers.

The GDE tune is EPA-compliant except for California.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Any updates on releasing a 2020 tune? Mine has a terrible lag/dead spot in certain situations at low rpm that is incredibly frustrating. Just hopeful to see one offered in the next few months or so, I understand there is 4 season tasting that needs to be done.
Have you had the AEM update, update done? There's lots of posts about the second update removing the lag that some people experienced after the first one.

Although ... with a 2020, you maybe weren't part of that episode ....

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
It's certainly your choice to add a tune and void your warranty, but...Hot Shot Diesel Extreme will take away the cold start lag and poor throttle response when warm right now.

A tune will not void a warranty. Give it a rest.....

And Hotshots is amazing stuff, but it doesn't take away the cold start lag... I used it stock long before tuned and the lag is still there. Its built into the software. Only way to change it, is to change the software.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It's certainly your choice to add a tune and void your warranty, but...Hot Shot Diesel Extreme will take away the cold start lag and poor throttle response when warm right now.

Ive got a challenge for you get fca to put in writing that they well officially VOID a warranty for an emissions intact tune they have no reason to look for, good luck. Also get actually proof hot shots products well fix calibration issues. If you cant do either of these then drop the claims.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Ha,Ha,HA HA HA
Right, FCA has 25 motors self destructing a week and I must prove they will void a warranty if an aftermarket tune intended to change FCA's federally mandated emissions legal tune is found, ha, ha, HA HA HA

If hot shot doesn't work for you it must be your tune;)
Hot shot doesn't claim it changes calibration, you did though, Hot Shot claims it will clean the gunk out of the way so the engine can engine, here on earth, not on earth2;)

No, I won't stop leading a horse to water, btw, changing headlight bulb types from halogen to xenon or led is also against federal law, here on earth.

[UPDATED]Stage 3's Stance on Tuning and Your Vehicle's Warranty
Posted by Jason Locke on 3/18/2014 to Informative Articles
By far and away the most frequently asked question when it comes to performance tuning of a given vehicle's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Unit (ECU) is "will this void my warranty?" The short answer is yes, unequivocally and absolutely yes. Performance software tuning of your vehicle's computer will practically always void and Powertrain Warranty that your car or truck may or may not have. "But Stage 3," you say, "what about the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, running the vehicle through a drive cycle before I go into the dealer, or running down my battery to hide my tune?" There are some ways where you're still protected and ways that you can possibly hide a performance tune from the prying eyes of Ford and your dealership. So the long answer to the initial question is "yes, but..." The fact is that the whole tuning/warranty situation is pretty sticky and complex, but there is a good reason that we at Stage 3 tell you that your warranty will definitely be voided while the other guys beat around the bush or even lie through their teeth: we're looking out for you and your vehicle's best interest.

BTW, every time you change the ECU or add a tune via the OBD2 it sets off a P1400 code which every dealer can see.
Still waiting to see proof that a warranty claim has been denied because of a tune....

I am really curious why you are on this forum. Don't seem to like EcoDiesels and fca, and constantly discouraging anyone who is interested in performance and reliability...

221 - 240 of 267 Posts