RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Still waiting to see proof that a warranty claim has been denied because of a tune....

I am really curious why you are on this forum. Don't seem to like EcoDiesels and fca, and consrantly discouraging anyone who is interested in performance and reliability...
I never had any issues with warranty claims due to the tune on my ecodiesel.
I'm curious too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since the very beginning of this recall, I've understood why FCA pushed out the "band-aid recall". But, why are ECOs manufactured after 3/1/18 not included ... did they fix the software or the actual problem after 3/1/18 ?
"The suspect period began on June 13, 2014, when 3.0L Diesel engines with suspect
tone wheels were introduced in vehicle production, through March 7, 2018, when
suspect engine stock was depleted in vehicle production. The vehicle population was
determined by engine and vehicle assembly traceability records."

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The fact remains, tuning voids your warranty, I don't have a list of the trucks bought back because of lemon laws, nor do I have a list of trucks refused warranty work because of epa emissions modifications, not my problem, FCA's

After spending 60,000$ for a ram that would get 28mpg and pull whatever load ram claimed at the dealership and then upon acquisition finding it was a Fiat, didn't get 28 but 22-24mpg (and that was just something Fiat did to keep them US emissions able, dropping the mpg's was colleratol damage from the retune FCA applied to the ecodiesel) then to learn the EGR was melting, the main bearing were failing in 25 trucks a week and the tone wheels were disintegrating and Fiat had no fixes for any of the problems, all critical.

I'll point out my opinion to people that are wondering about the ecodiesel, this isn't a psycho ponzi scheme to me, and I will happily point out that Hot Shot will do what a warranty voiding tune does for pennies, not a fanboy.

Fanboy
An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.
Hot shot can alter the scr warmup strategy which is the root cause of the cold lag? Hows that work? Also fca well never use the word void nor well they void a warranty they can flag a vehicle with a limited warranty then choose what parts of the warranty to honor. If your going to make claims like that at least try a do it correctly. My truck is flagged with a limited warranty because its tuned and deleted yet Ive still gotten warranty work done by fca.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Still waiting to see proof that a warranty claim has been denied because of a tune....

I am really curious why you are on this forum. Don't seem to like EcoDiesels and fca, and constantly discouraging anyone who is interested in performance and reliability...
I personally like it when people post both the pro's and con's, the good and the bad. If we want just the pro's and good what good is that? I want to know and hear both sides and make up my own mind in terms of what to do with my ED, etc. If I was shopping for a new one and came to this site, I'd also want both sides of the story.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Gputah did not ask for a list of the trucks bought back because of lemon laws or a list of trucks refused warranty work because of epa emissions modifications. He asked for proof that a warranty claim has been denied because of a tune. And you reply with unrelated and fanboy crap. Wow!
To echo Gputah, I too wonder why you are on this forum.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
"The suspect period began on June 13, 2014, when 3.0L Diesel engines with suspect
tone wheels were introduced in vehicle production, through March 7, 2018, when
suspect engine stock was depleted in vehicle production. The vehicle population was
determined by engine and vehicle assembly traceability records."

Thanks for posting the link.

Sure sounds like the only way you get a new tone wheel is if you didn't get the AEM. Owners who opted for the AEM only get the software update.

This is exactly what RamCares posted on this forum quite some time ago.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Perhaps we need a new thread to find out if any members were denied warranty repairs as a result of having a tune. I know my truck had several repairs that were covered under warranty.
And include tuned trucks that were not denied or received warranty repair

Reactions: Gputah and 97hmcs

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Perhaps we need a new thread to find out if any members were denied warranty repairs as a result of having a tune. I know my truck had several repairs that were covered under warranty.
And include tuned trucks that were not denied or received warranty repair
Let's give NPR the honor of starting the new thread if he chooses to. :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How about a thread comparing (name that tune) vs the OEM tuning + HotShots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
102 Posts
"Ive got a challenge for you get fca to put in writing that they well officially VOID a warranty for an emissions intact tune they have no reason to look for,"

Putting in writing that they WONT officially Void a warranty might be a better challenge!

That being said most tunes can be taken in and out so easily that it renders the whole discussion moot doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
"Ive got a challenge for you get fca to put in writing that they well officially VOID a warranty for an emissions intact tune they have no reason to look for,"

Putting in writing that they WONT officially Void a warranty might be a better challenge!

That being said most tunes can be taken in and out so easily that it renders the whole discussion moot doesn't it?
The reason I worded it that way is fca well not use the word void but they can deny a warranty claim and flag a vehicle with a limited warranty. But unless they have a reason to look for one in the place they wont. If hardware looks stock they wont bother look unless its some weird odd ball that gets escalated to engineering.

·
Vendor
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
I had to delete a few of NPRboy 'fakenews' stories. I will not tolerate blatant lies on the GDE sponsored forum. Clearly, this guy does not understand engineering, fluids or thermodynamics and knows very little about powertrain systems. In our experience selling roughly 15,000 tunes on FCA vehicles, I have not received one call from a customer that lost a warranty when needed. This only pertains to intact tuning where no hard parts are changed on the vehicle. If one removes parts and it is visually detectable, that does not count.

Flash counts only tell that a tune has been changed, not if an aftermarket tune was ever used, so this would not hold up in court. CVN is a unique identifier for each tune, GM uses this data to determine warranty coverage and will void warranty coverage if a CVN was installed that is not in GM's calibration system. So in GM's case, any tuning will void warranty if the dealer checks CVN history, some will not check, so find a good GM dealer if tuned. However, because FCA does not catalog CVN numbers, or provided them to the EPA or provide to dealers, then they have no way to determine if a tune was installed during its life. It is also apparent that CARB is also clueless about CVN as they have been giving us grief about how to verify if a tune is installed. We tried to explain to them, but it seems to be outside their comprehension.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'd say there are at least two warranty discussions to have :

1) whether or not warranty can be legally voided by a user installing a tune.

I don't know and have no opinion. That opinion has to come from FCA and/or court actions after a warranty has been voided .... nobody else can speak for FCA or the courts, regardless of what examples may be brought by Ecod drivers.

2) whether it's worth the risk of voiding a warranty (whether true or false). I have an opinion on this.

I bought extended warranty because in my seventh decade on this planet I want to sit with a coffee driving a loaner while FCA fixes my truck ... and I can afford to buy the extra warranty. Once the warranties have expired I would definitely look at tunes, especially GDE's but until then, why would I risk what I already have? Whether voiding the warranty is legal or not, once it happens the onus is on the customer to bring legal action against FCA for voiding a warranty because FCA holds the hammer, and it would be my lawyers against their waayyy better funded legal teams .... no thank you.

I think GDE (and others) probably build great products. I would look at them after my current FCA warranty expires, but in a personal risk/benefit analysis scenario, I personally would wait until my warranty is done.

As always .... others are free to do differently.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Lies, really, well, it's a fact that if an ecodiesel is tuned it loses its manufacturer drive train warranty (read the warranty), and it's a fact that hot shot takes away the throttle freeze and increases mpg's.
Didn't realize this was actually a private forum, I'd suggest putting it behind a password and naming it "Outlaws".

EMISSIONS STATEMENT Mopar Performance customers are responsible for complying with applicable federal state and local environmental laws and regulations. Many Mopar Performance Parts and components are designed to be equipped in vehicles that are operated not on streets or highways (such as vehicles intended for competition or off-road use). Motor vehicles designed for transport on streets or highways and equipped with such parts may cause such motor vehicles to be out of compliance with applicable emissions standards. It may be a violation of federal and state law to operate such motor vehicles equipped with such parts, except where vehicles equipped with such parts are operated not on streets or highways and where such vehicles lack features customarily associated with safe and practical highway use. If you install such parts on a motor vehicle, and your motor vehicle fails a required state or local inspection and maintenance (I/M) emissions test, including any test required to maintain or renew your motor vehicle’s registration, or if your motor vehicle is subject to an emissions recall, in either case, FCA US LLC may not be required to repair your motor vehicle under the emissions warranty, and you may be required to remove those parts and replace them with other parts at your own expense in order to obtain repairs necessary to pass the I/M emissions test or to ensure your motor vehicle is compliant with applicable emissions standards after the recall repair
I'm reading:
"FCA US LLC may not be required to repair your motor vehicle under the emissions warranty, and you may be required to remove those parts and replace them with other parts at your own expense in order to obtain repairs necessary to pass the I/M emissions test or to ensure your motor vehicle is compliant with applicable emissions standards after the recall repair "

There's more to it than you realize.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I've owned VW diesels since 2000 and this same debate has been on-going since before I joined their forum. IF a dealer really wants to void your warranty, they will look for reasons. Best thing to remember is to not be a d$$$ while dropping your truck off. Don't freely offer up the fact that you have a tune. As most lawyers will tell you, only answer the question you're asked.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been following this soap opera since it started. I had GDE's pre-EPA ECU on my 2016 and 2017 Ecos, and never had a problem with either the tune or service/warranty, and the two dealerships I frequented knew about it and commented that it was a 'bright' idea. One mechanic was really enthusiastic about the tune, and and voucher the opinion he couldn't see warranty denial based on a tune that improved usability and reduced internal contamination. In terms of 'fanboy', I think he's a troll and feeds off the responses he gets. Stop feeding him by responding to his posts and hopefully he'll move on to annoying more gullible people. (y)

Reactions: chadg2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now that this tune has been out a while, can we get an update from the early users? Anyone with problems? DEF usage? EGR fails? How clean is your oil?

241 - 260 of 267 Posts