Always flash back to stock before a dealer visit. If they overwrite the GDE tune, it will lock the flash tool rendering it junk and you would be out $200. Do not do this.I had pretty much the same questions TractorMan had but I have an additional one. If, after taking my Eco to the dealer for...lets say warranty work, and they flash over my tune, can I simply flash over that with the GDE tune again? Or do I flash mine back to original before taking it in and then flash the GDE tune when I get home? I'm not sure how that works. I don't want to void my extended warranty nor do I want to lose my GDE tune.
Communication is a 2 way street reach out to them.I just wish they would let you know if your tune woud be emailed today or not.. I have had zero contact from them all week just trying to make sure I did everything right on my part. Trying to leave for a few days but with limited internet access where Im headed its a tough call to go or not. Id like to try the tune on the trip. Since i dont drive this truck much. just frustrated with the lack of communication.
Well sir I haved called, emailed and PM on facebook. Nada zip zero communication.Communication is a 2 way street reach out to them.
Strange everytime I reached out I have received a response within hours.Well sir I haved called, emailed and PM on facebook. Nada zip zero communication.
No confirmation that I sent the file correctly. I certainly could be at fault. But there is no way of knowing. This started at the beging of the week so I gave them plenty of time to respond. I was just trying to plan a trip so I could try the tune. No biggy lost a 1/2 day trying to get a hold of GDE. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling for customer service. I know they are busy. I imagine everyone is hounding them.
Man I was order #15. Still waiting. Postponing towing boat to cabin until
They finally responded after I resent the file. Different email addy.Strange everytime I reached out I have received a response within hours.
curious on what day did you send the file I am assuming I am going to be next week as well.I've emailed, called and FB Message. Dont know how I can do more. Like I said frustrated with the lack of communication on their part.
They finally responded after I resent the file. Different email addy.
It appears they go out in the order received not purchased. Which makes sense but Im out west so due to shipping it took 6 days to receive the tuner. I doubt Ill have a tune today. more than likely next week.
Last Saturday night. Thats my take on the email I got. GDE Servers are being updated this weekend. I imagine a lot of customers got the files returned to GDE before I received my tuner. If I had known that I would have waited to buy it. My patience runs thin once I spend my $$. I wanted it for this trip, which is not going to happen so I dont need it until fall now. But I want it since they have my $$.. LOL..curious on what day did you send the file I am assuming I am going to be next week as well.