RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2017 RAM Ecodiesel

About a month ago I started to notice intermittent power steering loss.

No CEL's -- next thing I did was replace the fuse on the battery as I've been told those provide power to EPS, no fix.

Brought truck into local mechanic -- scanned for codes, nothing. Disconnected/reconnected everything -- said was fixed, intermittent power steering loss occurred days later again.

Found the attached recall & ran my VIN # -- it didn't pop. But, I feel this has to be it.

Thinking best option is to bring to MOPAR dealer and have them check it out?

Thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Following your outcome as my steering just started getting weird on me. No codes. Feels like a dead spot I the steering. Neighbor has fancy code reader and reset PS so ill see if that helps.
Mine is a 2016

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tyler. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
Mine is at dealer today for steering so I'll update once I find something out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I scheduled with a MOPAR dealer & they are out until June 6th

Curious to see if they will cover cost as they have a recall out for the EPS gear, my VIN does not match - but everything is pointing to the same issue as the recall. Intermittent power steering loss.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lucky I have several dealers in Omaha so one had early appts. Just got the call from them. Power steering rack failure. No parts locally so they are scouring to find one. No estimate when part might be available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a tone wheel delam. that was not in their 'effected VINs'. Obviously it was effected as it happened. I've spent 5 months badgering Chrysler and my dealer (in a nice way but relentless). My dealer even called Chrysler himself to say I was getting screwed on this one and they finally, as of yesterday sent me an email to have it covered. MY POINT: just because they want to hide behind 'effected VINs' doesn't mean they should not stand behind all of their products/vehicles. Keep pushing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure if this is that same... I just started having steering issues..felt almost like my front tires were low or something....easy to steer maybe 15% either way, then stiff... Look at the intermediate steering shaft. In the engine bay. You'll see it... Has a u-joint. While I didn't take it off, I did spray the crap out of it with some Amsoil MP... that's all I had. It worked temporarily. So then I soaked it in lithium grease I had on hand. Worked in for a day and it fixed my problem. It's an expensive part for what it is .... There are YouTube videos of it.
Hopefully that's your problem. One of the joints starts seizing.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Not sure if this is that same... I just started having steering issues..felt almost like my front tires were low or something....easy to steer maybe 15% either way, then stiff... Look at the intermediate steering shaft. In the engine bay. You'll see it... Has a u-joint. While I didn't take it off, I did spray the crap out of it with some Amsoil MP... that's all I had. It worked temporarily. So then I soaked it in lithium grease I had on hand. Worked in for a day and it fixed my problem. It's an expensive part for what it is .... There are YouTube videos of it.
Hopefully that's your problem. One of the joints starts seizing.
Had that happen on my old 2005 Ram! 300,000 miles, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts