RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but I have read the forums since I got my truck. Lots of information here and I'm very appreciative for all of the knowledge i have gained reading it.
Up until about a month ago all was good with my ecodiesel. I monitor my regens with an Edge cts 2. My soot percentage buildup was very regular. It would tick up by 1% every few miles, faster when the engine was cold, but nothing like it does now. Now it can jump 20% in a matter of seconds. I recently took a trip to the beach. 400 mile round trip. Had to take the truck on a highway drive just before the trip to do a regen. About 50 miles into the trip the soot jumped from 50% to 70% in a about 1 minute of driving. The regen then started.
The erratic readings ended about 150 miles on the way to the beach. I thought that it just needed a long trip to clean it out, but on the way home I had the same thing. Erratic soot until I was nearly home. Now it is even worse. 27 miles between regens.
I should mention that I got a check engine light with a P20EE code and the dealer replaced my catalytic converter just days before the trip. While at the dealer, I mentioned the soot problems and was told to ignore my edge monitor. The erratic soot percentage started before the check engine light. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P20EE = early 2014 change SCR//or to fix ;flash with RRT 15-088 dated Dec 2nd 2015
maybe clogged injector nozzle ,,
------------------------------------------------------

Yours is a 2016 , they still changed the SCR ,,,,,,,ok ,,,,
that funny business with soot levels started only after the dealer touched it ???
code P20EE never came back ???

in time it may throw code P0428 , pinpointing which sensor around the DPF is going bad
there are 3 sensors I believe .impossible to tell just by looks ,
** don't buy a used sensor when you replace , .
a thread on one of the sensors .
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/62742-exhaust-temp-sensor-question.html
also how is your coolant level in bottle ??
the EGR cooler can fail in a few different ways , one of them sends coolant down in the exhaust ,
clogging the face of the DOC ( DOC is the first of 2 sections inside the DPF canister ) ,
the multiple sensors around the DPF measure differences in restrictions
PRE and POST DPF , if the coolant is making a waxy deposit on the DOC it could mess with the readings .
just another possibility

Attachments

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Could be your EGR is going bad , Watch your coolant level making sure it stays where it should.. Just having your SCR replaced makes me think it’s a upstream issue,causing down stream problems....

BTW your Edge unit only READS the trucks mechanical functions and health issues , I’d be more inclined to believe the Edge over your dealership.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Welcome to the forum - First post.

You have a 2016. Did you get the AEM done? If so, regardless of the mileage, you have a warranty on all those stupid emissions sensors. There are also two catalyst systems in the truck. You say one was replaced. Which one?

Let the dealer figure it out. It all should be on warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies. They replaced the converter. Said it was clogged. Interesting that the coolant was questioned. I did have a leak a while ago and they said the tank itself had a leak and replaced it.that was last fall. I just looked today and it was about 1/2"below the full line. My initial thought was that is was the particulate sensor. I should have mentioned before that the soot % also drops, but not nearly as much as it goes up.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Mmmmm. A drop in the coolant level should have nothing to do with the DPF. Watch that rather often for now. It should not be dropping at all. If you top off, use the right stuff or distilled water. Do NOT try to use any of the "universal" coolants sold.

Appreciate the follow-up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Welcome.

My 15 started the same erratic soot readings right after I had the AEM done. To the point where I could not tow my boat because it would essentially go into a continuous regen.

GDE solved my issues.

Now I see the soot bounce up a couple points under hard acceleration, then go drop back in a minute of driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You got the tune while having issues? I want to get the GDE, but i am worried about losing the warranty. I had the AEM done also but the soot readings started before I got it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks guys. Been a while since I have been on the forum, got bored with all the negative "IT's gona blow" stuff. Then I got this recall and wham! When they installed the update the dealership toasted the ECM, it took 5 days to get a new one and during that time they left me high and dry with no wheels. After the update the truck has less power, gets less mileage on a tank but worse is the regen. Seems that every time I look at the CTS it's in regen. In 1 three hours highway trip it regened 4 times and that was while pulling my trailer. Prior to the update it would not have regened at all as the truck ran hot enough not to require it. This sucks, just wish I could get to GDE. Hopefully soon.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Oh man , you let FCA flash your truck ,
with no $$$ , and no extended warranty like they are getting in the USA .
in USA if AEM takes more than 3 hours you get a loaner , another shaft to canadian owners , no loaner .....5 days ...:mad:
the dealer is not flashing my truck with that canadian AEM version , no way ,
waiting for the class action in Canada to do its thing , hoping we get a deal
more or less similar to the USA settlement .
Others have had it flashed in Canada saying they see no difference , other have
seen the truck turn into a dog like yours , fried ECM as a bonus .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks guys. Been a while since I have been on the forum, got bored with all the negative "IT's gona blow" stuff. Then I got this recall and wham! When they installed the update the dealership toasted the ECM, it took 5 days to get a new one and during that time they left me high and dry with no wheels. After the update the truck has less power, gets less mileage on a tank but worse is the regen. Seems that every time I look at the CTS it's in regen. In 1 three hours highway trip it regened 4 times and that was while pulling my trailer. Prior to the update it would not have regened at all as the truck ran hot enough not to require it. This sucks, just wish I could get to GDE. Hopefully soon.
Tailgate used to fly open on my truck. Did the recall myself $2 part. Thats how much I dont want to see the Dealership.. I wont let them flash the AEM untill they offer me $$$$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts