RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
I said something about this on one of Captainmal’s threads I believe, the ultra reliable has been updated and changed in these new ones, there’s gonna be bugs, they’ll get worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Very interesting.

Lots of stuff you never see in this video. As for the failure - sure a "show stopper". Thanks goodness it is pretty rare to see this.

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
Wow windowed the block. Bummer he had to return the core. Wonder how much it would cost to buy and what the shipping was. Be good to keep the high pressure fuel pump injectors & turbo. I believe he misspoke that it only comes with a 60k powertrain warranty and not the 100k like the ED.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,304 Posts
Well I guess it's got to happen eventually, but this is the first "blown up" CTD I've seen/heard of since I started looking at the 2500 trucks last winter.

Sure can't say that about the Ecodiesel motor when its every week or so it seems. That is one of the main reasons I moved on, I got tired of playing the "Ecodiesel lottery", especially in the far off places we roam in Alaska/Canada.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
As a retired boatbuilder, I can tell you that everything can break, even the super expensive German made MAN diesels. Nic named "Mangrenades" by local fishermen here in Maine.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,188 Posts
Big job. No wonder the tech shortage is so serious. This is serious wrench turning and I really respect the skills they have. Add the parts shortage issue and it is not hard to lose a vehicle for months, almost need a back up vehicle!

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Big job. No wonder the tech shortage is so serious. This is serious wrench turning and I really respect the skills they have. Add the parts shortage issue and it is not hard to lose a vehicle for months, almost need a back up vehicle!
Brings up a good point. Looking at the frame, body, drivetrain and related parts was an experience. No way the causal "shade-tree" mechanic can deal with all that stuff. Even with the best $100 floor jack from Harbor Freight you aren't gonna be able to tackle anything like that. Our vehicles today are way too complex.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,188 Posts
Give it another decade and it will be a big electric motor and a vehicle with 10k fewer parts.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Brings up a good point. Looking at the frame, body, drivetrain and related parts was an experience. No way the causal "shade-tree" mechanic can deal with all that stuff. Even with the best $100 floor jack from Harbor Freight you aren't gonna be able to tackle anything like that. Our vehicles today are way too complex.
I jacked up and took off the right front tire while investigating installing a front mud flap (didn't happen), my floor jack was straining to lift that Cummins, OMG it's a heavy beast.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I personally think electric vehicles are not the future.
Although I want to agree, I am torn, I think we may see a some sort of hydrogen fuel cell, hybrid system, and I don’t think it’s a one size fits all solution, electric is honestly ok for the city dwellers and folks like that, but what about farmers, cold weather, rural communities, where electric vehicle range is not sufficient? I just don’t see it being effective in lots of scenarios. Over the road trucks are another issue entirely. Huge infrastructure changes will have to take place and they’re still building new gas stations everywhere, I don’t think petrol is going anywhere anytime soon, and not to mention all the parts and pieces of everything are made by petrol, including the equipment used to mine the ore for batteries

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,083 Posts
my floor jack was straining to lift that Cummins, OMG it's a heavy beast.
and to think your '21 Cummins actually is something like 100 lbs lighter than the '18 and prior 6.7L engines. The block was changed from grey cast iron to CGI for the '19 and newer blocks, it's lighter and stronger.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mainstream ev's came out in early 2000s. Toyota Prius hybrid etc.. Technology is too slow moving that I am afraid it will die before its able to take over internal combustion engines. This is just an opinion.

We might see hydrogen cell or some other sort of technology succeeding faster then the electric.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Although I want to agree, I am torn, I think we may see a some sort of hydrogen fuel cell, hybrid system, and I don’t think it’s a one size fits all solution, electric is honestly ok for the city dwellers and folks like that, but what about farmers, cold weather, rural communities, where electric vehicle range is not sufficient? I just don’t see it being effective in lots of scenarios. Over the road trucks are another issue entirely. Huge infrastructure changes will have to take place and they’re still building new gas stations everywhere, I don’t think petrol is going anywhere anytime soon, and not to mention all the parts and pieces of everything are made by petrol, including the equipment used to mine the ore for batteries

Agreed. It would be tough towing an RV down the Alaska-Canada Hwy with an electric truck, it's only 2,400 miles from my house to my brothers in Olympia, Washington.

I also had thought hydrogen would be the nicer alternative fuel. We went to the moon in 1969, I have no doubt things will get sorted out in the not too far off future.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
and to think your '21 Cummins actually is something like 100 lbs lighter than the '18 and prior 6.7L engines. The block was changed from grey cast iron to CGI for the '19 and newer blocks, it's lighter and stronger.
I did not know that, very interesting.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It all comes down to the good ol sayin " No replacement for deplacement" Somethings just can't be beat no matter how much the technology grows.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts