RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will sometimes watch the EVIC Fuel economy gauge on long trips. Most of the time I notice that all seems to work fine. The sliding bar shows the present MPG and the little triangle and avg rate seem to move up or down per the results on the sliding bar. I notice on downhill coasting the bar never goes above 33 MPG. My bar shows 0 to 40. I see forum post that their truck shows 99MPG. I also notice that If I drive over 70MPH the sliding bar peaks out at that 33 spot but the avg starts to drop. I will look at the manual CD to see if I have something set up wrong. Does this make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I remember others posting similar things a while back. I think it was a glitch in the EVIC but don't quote me on that. 2015 should read up to 40 on the graph, 2014's only went to 30.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The Larimie Limited & Longhorn have the big dash display - it might be an option on the rest, not sure. My Longhorn goes up to 99, but obviously that is not a true reading. I did have my EVIC checked against hand calculated mileage & it was extremely close (like 1/10 of a mpg).

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
My 2014 Tradesman only goes to 30 mpg on the EVIC and I find that lacking, as it often is pegged at 30 mpg and I can't optimize my driving. That's why I have resorted to other monitoring on my truck, such as a ScanGauge and Android OBD II display.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,773 Posts
My Outdoorsman goes up to 99mpg. I think you have to the premium cluster(EVIC) with 7" multi-view color display.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Try this. Place that little shift know into Neutral ( N ) and watch what happens when you coast.

Did not have a "monkey wrench" handy so threw this in. I say you should stop driving yourself crazy looking at that thing. Leave it on another screen and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like my 2015 Big Horn is correct with the 0-40 bar. I now understand the larger gauge gives up to the 99. I am still wondering about the bar gauge showing 30+ MPG but the average dropping at higher speeds. Only does this at 70MPH or better.
Cap, I usually have the coolant, tranny, oil temp screen showing but I like to have the fuel economy screen on when I have a Chevy or Ford buddy riding shotgun. They can't believe the MPG with a crew cab pickup.
Once a month the Mrs and I take a ride to see the Kids and Grand kids (365 miles one way). I fill up at home and drive nearly round trip on one tank. With my 2005 Hemi, I fill up at home and twice on the way up. My wallet lets me know I am saving a lot on fuel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My 2015 HFE Express (small screen) is marked to 40 but the moving 'bar' will not go above approx. 30. The 'avg.' triangle will go above that and even off the chart if you just reset it then are cruising downhill!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts