RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been bitter cold all month which is never good for mileage. And I know the EVIC can be off, but today it took the prize.

I filled up today, the EVIC said 18.3 mpg.

Hand calculated, 22.5 mpg. Yea, more like it.

That is 4.2 mpg discrepancy, but in a good way! For all the long warmups sitting at a fast idle, and all the short trips we do, 22.5 mpg is pretty good for this time of year, reminding me why I like this Ram Ecodiesel!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice!

I haven't hand calculated but my EVIC hasn't gone below 24 MPG all winter (Northern New England)

·
Administrator
8,497 Posts
The EVIC only tracks the last 200 miles so it's not unusual to see a big difference depending on the conditions and miles driven.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm always surprised to hear this. I have 70k miles on an ED and a Hemi Ram 1500, and I have literally never had the EVIC off by more than 1.5 mpg, and almost never had it off by more than 1 mpg, and I'd say 75% of the time it's within .5 mpg.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's all the sitting at a fast idle warming up, every time. 10-15 minutes at 1500 rpm, throws it for a loop.

Now, if driving, all day, the same way, the EVIC is real close to right on. I was just surprised how far off it was today.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The EVIC only tracks the last 200 miles so it's not unusual to see a big difference depending on the conditions and miles driven.
Seems stupid to me. Why wouldn’t they program it to the beginning of the trip reset? Or, if they had a good reason for the past 200 miles, give me a choice to have the mpg average for the trip or tank (I reset the trip A info at fill ups).

·
Registered
823 Posts
Seems stupid to me. Why wouldn’t they program it to the beginning of the trip reset? Or, if they had a good reason for the past 200 miles, give me a choice to have the mpg average for the trip or tank (I reset the trip A info at fill ups).
I don't even pay attention the Fuel Economy screen. The trip screen monitors mpg since the last reset, and that's what i compare to my hand-calc numbers at the pump.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The reason for the big difference is the gde tune is way more efficient at idle. Under normal driving conditions 1.5 mpg variations are about the normal but idle time can make that worse. Its crazy how much tuning can change.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe it's because it's a Tradesman, it has the el cheapo dash display. I wish it did a better job too.

My last truck was a Silverado, the DIC was pretty good on the mileage numbers, but it was a higher trim too.

It could very well be the higher Ram trims have better EVICS, it seems many report more even numbers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's been bitter cold all month which is never good for mileage. And I know the EVIC can be off, but today it took the prize.

I filled up today, the EVIC said 18.3 mpg.

Hand calculated, 22.5 mpg. Yea, more like it.

That is 4.2 mpg discrepancy, but in a good way! For all the long warmups sitting at a fast idle, and all the short trips we do, 22.5 mpg is pretty good for this time of year, reminding me why I like this Ram Ecodiesel!
<My 2015 Laramie ED -filled up yesterday - Dash said 19.6 avg MPG - I thought that was rather low - thinking about things - checked mileage by calculator - result 27.4 MPG - now that's better
why is there such a difference ?

·
Registered
854 Posts
<My 2015 Laramie ED -filled up yesterday - Dash said 19.6 avg MPG - I thought that was rather low - thinking about things - checked mileage by calculator - result 27.4 MPG - now that's better
Part of the difference could be that you didn't fill it as full as the last time. If you're only looking at a single tank, then your mileage would be greatly effected by exactly how much you pumped and where you drove. I use fuelly and let it calculate each tank but then look at lifetime average. My last tank was a little lower, probably due to winter coming to NC last week. It's gone now so don't worry about me. Last tank was down to 21.2. Tank before that was 23.6, but that was mostly interstate. Lifetime is sitting at 22.2 with almost 34k miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So are you referring to the avg fuel mileage that is shown with the instant economy screen?
I have trip A reset with oil changes and trip B reset on fuel ups and the avg economy on all 3 is hardly ever the same so not sure how it's just the last 200 that it keeps track as after 200 ml on a tank they would all read the same avg

·
Registered
732 Posts
So are you referring to the avg fuel mileage that is shown with the instant economy screen?
I have trip A reset with oil changes and trip B reset on fuel ups and the avg economy on all 3 is hardly ever the same so not sure how it's just the last 200 that it keeps track as after 200 ml on a tank they would all read the same avg
They will all end up the same or very close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My experience aligns with the thought that it only counts the most recent so many miles. My mileage is always skewed to what I did last on that tank. IF I tow the first part then drive empty the second part the EVIC will show higher than what the calculated average is. IF I reverse it and drive empty the first half and tow the second half the EVIC will show lower than the hand calculated.

Ive had my EVIC be over 5 mpg off on occasion. I drove it 30,000 miles stock and now 51,000 miles tuned and I see no difference in the accuracy or lack there of concerning the EVIC fuel mileage calculation.

Additionally I use trip A to keep track of my miles on the tank and I use trip B to keep track of my miles on my oil change. No matter what im doing, when I fill up and clear trip A within a few hundred miles Trip A and Trip B will have the same fuel economy.

I have burned several tanks that were all largely used the same way and the EVIC ranges from + to - 1 mpg on those. When you start doing different things though like 1/2 a tank of empty hwy at 60 mph and 1/2 a tank of towing a travel trailer they EVIC can get pretty far off pretty quick.

·
Administrator
8,497 Posts
Maybe yours is different than my 2014, After a couple hundred miles my avg, trip A, and trip B all read the same.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, you got me beat, you win the prize!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts