RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be getting into one of these trucks within the next couple weeks, but have been having some confusion over the gears. On the Ram build site I only see 3.55 being standard, yet when I look at window stickers through dealers websites some show 3.21 as standard. On some stickers it will specify 3.55 under the optional equipment, some not. I've called a couple of the dealers nearby and I get the sales guy's "well come on down and we'll figure it out"...not the answer I'm looking for!

Done some searches elsewhere, can't come up with a definitive answer...what have you guys found? If these trucks are equipped with 3.21, how much impact does that have on towing capacity? Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
believe it depends on the engine selected.

I believe Pentastar powered trucks get 3.21s or 3.55s, while Hemi and EcoDiesel trucks get 3.55s or 3.92s.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
With the Diesel engine... 3.55's are standard. The 3.92's are the option.

When looking at a window sticker, you may see "3.21 Standard"... but as above... it's what the "Standard" truck would come with. Once an "Option" engine is added, the base parts will change in the second section of the window sticker.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
With the Diesel engine... 3.55's are standard. The 3.92's are the option.

When looking at a window sticker, you may see "3.21 Standard"... but as above... it's what the "Standard" truck would come with. Once an "Option" engine is added, the base parts will change in the second section of the window sticker.
Bang on

·
Registered
346 Posts
I believe the Outdoorsman is 3.92 standard, and the 3.55 the option. At least it was that way when I ordered mine.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
We would see some people getting crazy milage with 321's

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe the Outdoorsman is 3.92 standard, and the 3.55 the option. At least it was that way when I ordered mine.
Yep, my outdoorsman came with the option of 3:55's. Would not have bought this dealer truck had it been standard 3:92's. I even crawled under the truck and saw the 3:55 sticker on the axel. Heck I love the colors and truck so muck, I probably would have had the dealer change the rear end to 3:55's if it didn't have them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One is not necessarily better than the other depending on your needs. 3.55 will net you slightly better mileage and give you 7500-8000 lbs towing. 3.92 give you about another 1000 lbs towing and gives a bit better low end grunt.

3.92 seems to be hard to come by, at least here in AZ. Hoping I don't have to order one when I buy but it may come down to that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks,I want to get the most out of my vehicle for towing purposes.but here in New York if I can not get passenger plates it might make me re think what to buy..test drove this and love it's power it's more than enough for me but I want passenger plates. My wife tells me that she read a thread that commercial plates at tolls pay more,New York is such a money hungry state,here you buy a low emission vehicle and they want to make you register commercial for several hundred pounds........dumb .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yet another reason I like it here in AZ, there are some counties here that still don't even do emissions testing.

I did a quick search on NY passenger plates and found on the DMV web site that a pickup can be registered as passenger as long as it's not used for business, cannot have business advertising, and has a curb weight of 5500 or less. On the Ram towing page I found that a 1500 3.0 4x4 6'4" bed weighs in at 5550...so with the right combination you'll definitely fall within the needed weight.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks,I want to get the most out of my vehicle for towing purposes.but here in New York if I can not get passenger plates it might make me re think what to buy..test drove this and love it's power it's more than enough for me but I want passenger plates. My wife tells me that she read a thread that commercial plates at tolls pay more,New York is such a money hungry state,here you buy a low emission vehicle and they want to make you register commercial for several hundred pounds........dumb .
My big horn crew cab 4x4 5'7" bed came in it at 7 pounds under the max for passenger plates. Dodged a bullet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts