RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd post this for those that might be interested in having the exhaust brake turn on whenever the engine is started.
I found this on another forum and tried it out on my 2018 6.7 cummins and it works.

Start with a 7 pin trailer plug. Connect a 5w 10 ohm resister between the #1 and #2 terminal. This is the ground and trailer brake terminals.

With the resistor in place, and the plug plugged in. The truck is fooled into thinking there is a trailer attached and will default to the exhaust brake setting that was in place when the truck was last shut down.

I cannot comment on what years this works on, but it does work on my 2018.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am sure it would work on my 2017. It keeps the eb on with a trailer hooked.

But its almost a non issue with me. I live on an acreage far away from people. I just run out with my key and forget about it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thats a neat workaround, I wonder if alpha OBD would have a way to change the setting in the body controller and then you wouldn't need the plug

Reactions: Lucky Dog

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgive my ignorance, but what does this do and why do you need it? I love learning cool tricks like this.
great pictures.
I like to drive with my Exhaust brake on. This work around will have the brake on, if it was on when the truck was shut down. I don't have to rely on my memory to turn it on each time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you figure that out, post it up here. I've been looking for an excuse to try that out.
I would if I could but I don't have a cummins so I have no way to test it

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
if you ride around with the exhaust brake on would it not be hard to coast a distance to a stop?

Coasting along is a great way to save fuel. Driving under throttle close to say a stop sign or traffic light, turn etc. uses both fuel and brakes. I just coast along, shutting down the throttle as soon as I can see a coasting situation. Only ever used the exhaust brake to flat out hold downhill speed and especially when towing for that and stopping.

I am in no hurry normally. Most of the time I have nowhere to go and all day to get there.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
107 Posts
I like to drive with my Exhaust brake on. This work around will have the brake on, if it was on when the truck was shut down. I don't have to rely on my memory to turn it on each time.
Could you explain why? Is it like a jake brake and you do it for the noise? Couldn't you just keep your foot on the brake if you're doing it to keep from going too fast? Inquiring minds etc..

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,163 Posts
My wife turns it on when the coach is hooked up. I do know the more it's used the less turbo actuator problems are the end result.
Leaving palm springs tomorrow. Back up to Arcata.Over half of the 800 plus miles is steep and curvy. This invention makes it enjoyable. I can't go back to gasser again as long as we keep doing this annual journey.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could you explain why? Is it like a jake brake and you do it for the noise? Couldn't you just keep your foot on the brake if you're doing it to keep from going too fast? Inquiring minds etc..
The Exhaust brake is pretty quiet. you can hear it but it is not much louder than the standard exhaust sound. I like to use it to keep my foot off the brake, saving on brake wear. The exhaust brake acts like a brake without using your brakes.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you ride around with the exhaust brake on would it not be hard to coast a distance to a stop?

Coasting along is a great way to save fuel. Driving under throttle close to say a stop sign or traffic light, turn etc. uses both fuel and brakes. I just coast along, shutting down the throttle as soon as I can see a coasting situation. Only ever used the exhaust brake to flat out hold downhill speed and especially when towing for that and stopping.

I am in no hurry normally. Most of the time I have nowhere to go and all day to get there.
If it uses more fuel by using the exhaust brake I sure have not noticed it. Once you use it for a while, it seems easier to coast up to a light or stop and use way less brake in the process. I'll add that where I drive mostly is pretty rural, there is not many stop and go situations, mostly just slow down and speed up.
And like HVAC said, using it is supposed to prolong the life of the trubo actuator.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
If it uses more fuel by using the exhaust brake I sure have not noticed it. Once you use it for a while, it seems easier to coast up to a light or stop and use way less brake in the process. I'll add that where I drive mostly is pretty rural, there is not many stop and go situations, mostly just slow down and speed up.
And like HVAC said, using it is supposed to prolong the life of the trubo actuator.
NOT an issue of using fuel while the exhaust brake is slowing down. It is an issue of slowing down because of the exhaust brake when you could be coasting for a longer distance. Hence the fuel savings.

Bizarre behavior to throttle up to a visible stop by going fast and then "jamming on the brakes" I see drivers do that often. I have ridden with a guy that does that gas - brake - gas - brake thing all the time. Once. That's enough of that silliness for me. My wife has ridden with him and she comments on how hideous that driving behavior is.

I like the exhaust brake when you need to slow down. It saves some brake wear, though mostly is not very aggressive unless you are in Tow Haul mode. To me it is of little bother to reach over and hit the switch. Then you have to remember to hit it two more times to get through that hold setting and turn the thing off. When i have left it on by mistake, each time I let off the throttle the darn truck slows dramatically. OOPS. I reach down and turn the thing off. Judicious coasting is a important part of good driving in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thought main reason for running exhaust brake all the time on the 6.7 was to keep soot build-up to a minimum on ports and vanes of turbo. Read it somewhere ...... Using the engine brake keeps the vanes actuating from low to full open as use exhaust brake and also keeps soot deposits on passage ways to a minimum.

Supposed to reduce the chances of the vanes getting crudded up with soot to the point of sticking to a minimum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Thought main reason for running exhaust brake all the time on the 6.7 was to keep soot build-up to a minimum on ports and vanes of turbo. Read it somewhere ...... Using the engine brake keeps the vanes actuating from low to full open as use exhaust brake and also keeps soot deposits on passage ways to a minimum.

Supposed to reduce the chances of the vanes getting crudded up with soot to the point of sticking to a minimum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did read of a reason to occasionally turn on that exhaust brake. Don't remember just what that was.

You could be right. Just don't remember.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 Limited CTD
47 Posts

I thought pushing the selector twice for auto exhaust brake helped with this. At least my experience with auto EB is that it doesn't always (ever?) engage when I let of the gas, only when I step on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I thought pushing the selector twice for auto exhaust brake helped with this. At least my experience with auto EB is that it doesn't always (ever?) engage when I let of the gas, only when I step on the brake pedal.
Did not know the second press gave a thing you are calling "auto exhaust".

I have use it intentionally when descending long hills while towing. What I did there is set a speed, touch the brake and hope it kept that speed without increasing but also NOT slowing down. Frankly I did not think the darn thing worked that well.

Now the first position keeps the exhaust brake on and does a continual slow-down to near stop. When I have used it is before coming to a stop, especially on downhills. Also tried it on long downhills and again, not super aggressive but it did keep on decelerating. As you got to a point where you were comfortable with the speed that next position seemed to hold it better and not continue the slow-down.

Unless you are in tow haul mode, neither position is very aggressive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As for keeping turbo vanes clean, is this a problem for fully deleted trucks? I too use my EB at times as I read it prolongs turbo life but my truck is fully deleted and am curious if the soot issue is an EGR related issue?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
As for keeping turbo vanes clean, is this a problem for fully deleted trucks? I too use my EB at times as I read it prolongs turbo life but my truck is fully deleted and am curious if the soot issue is an EGR related issue?
The soot is produced in cylinder but its not really an issue with newer diesels anyways. All exhaust braking does is command the vgt to fully closed to create a restriction in the exhaust stream. Deleted trucks still produce just as much soot in cylinder under most conditions. During normal driving the vgt gets moved a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did not know the second press gave a thing you are calling "auto exhaust".

I have use it intentionally when descending long hills while towing. What I did there is set a speed, touch the brake and hope it kept that speed without increasing but also NOT slowing down. Frankly I did not think the darn thing worked that well.

Now the first position keeps the exhaust brake on and does a continual slow-down to near stop. When I have used it is before coming to a stop, especially on downhills. Also tried it on long downhills and again, not super aggressive but it did keep on decelerating. As you got to a point where you were comfortable with the speed that next position seemed to hold it better and not continue the slow-down.

Unless you are in tow haul mode, neither position is very aggressive.
The auto function works when you apply the brake or when you have the cruise control applied and speed exceeds set point, You can reduce set point of CC while driving and EB will activate to reduce speed to new SP.
This is a very nice feature while driving mountain roads with variable grade fluctuations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts