RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was having some fuel economy problems over the past few months. Normally I get 850 km to 1050 km per tank of diesel depending on how cold it is and how much city driving or idling happens.

I found the cause and the solution see pictures.... 馃槀. Funny how I went from 500 km per tank all the way up to 925 km as soon as I changed out the door.

Attachments

Administrator
Nice job. Was someone seriously stealing fuel? It's a pain in the butt with the double flaps.

Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice job. Was someone seriously stealing fuel? It's a pain in the butt with the double flaps.
Yes they had figured out a way.

I was thinking it was just cold weather combined with a lot of stop and start driving so I started taking detailed daily notes; and I was also thinking the injectors might be fouled or shot

One morning I found something in the order of a quarter tank missing (or about 4 or 5 gallons) and the story became very clear.

I know it is probably someone who is out of work due to COVID but it certainly alerted me about other concerns such as tampering.

Problem solved and fuel economy is back in the normal range.

Premium Member
Nice! Is your truck Delmonico Red? If so where did you get the paint for the gas cap cover? It looks like a great color match. I'm thinking of doing the same.

Registered
I worry about tampering more than stealing, but I think it's a smart idea. I bought this locking cap for mine.

Registered
Same reasoning I bought mine, I'm guessing you have the matching DEF cap also?
I do not, but have thought about it. Do you have the locking DEF cap, too?

Registered
I worry about tampering more than stealing, but I think it's a smart idea. I bought this locking cap for mine.

Hi: biodiesel... Just one more thing to think about since my neighbour just bought a diesel garden tractor. All his other toys are "Gassers"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Registered
Regarding the suspected fuel theft, Should be easy to get a logical guess, Closest teenager with access to a Diesel vehicle... Definitely isn鈥檛 a organized crime ring ....Only Getting 5gallons at a time ...

Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
I do not, but have thought about it. Do you have the locking DEF cap, too?
If I remember correctly there was a special going on at the time I bought them, but you had to buy both.

FYI: Both locking caps are available for the DT body trucks also. They're a different design as the filler neck has changed.

Registered
If I remember correctly there was a special going on at the time I bought them, but you had to buy both.
It never hurts to have extra protection.

FYI: Both locking caps are available for the DT body trucks also. They're a different design as the filler neck has changed.
It's on backorder (9/15/2021). I plan on buying it, though. Here's what it looks like:

Reactions: UHBrandt

Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Regarding the suspected fuel theft, Should be easy to get a logical guess, Closest teenager with access to a Diesel vehicle... Definitely isn鈥檛 a organized crime ring ....Only Getting 5gallons at a time ...
Definitely not a major theft situation - they would have retaliated with anger and created damage once the lock was installed.

They did figure out how to defeat the anti-siphon; fortunately, without drilling the tank. Not hard to do - but it is certainly not as simple as sticking a garden hose into it. It does take some brains, some tubing, a fish tape, and YouTube university.

I live near the center of a large city so it would be tough to figure out who it is. I am going to go with the assumption it is someone down on their luck due to COVID or something like that and that they needed the fuel more than I did.

I usually get one smashed window a year from homeless or meth heads looking for change or anything of value to pawn - they don鈥檛 drive though. Cest la vie and thank God I don鈥檛 walk In those shoes.

Registered
Or a local scumbag druggie that now has a gas powered car that just stopped running. At least they didn't drill a hole in the tank.

Reactions: UHBrandt

Registered
If it were someone that just needed a little gas to get somewhere for the day, then pulling your diesel fuel would have taught them a lesson fairly quickly. I'm agreeing with the OP that it was someone that knew what that your truck was a diesel and they also needed diesel.

Registered
Maybe one of your neighbors has a video camera....
In my neighborhood, I think there's enough cameras to cover every blind spot. What one neighbor doesn't capture, another neighbor does.

Registered
I have a 300 yard shooting range next to my house and a shooting house. No need for cameras. Don't ever remember being worried about thieves. Years ago, my late Dad caught a punk stealing gas from his truck. Tracked him for a mile thru deep snow carrying a loaded 12 ga. Caught him, marched him back and made him pour the gas back into his truck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts