RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the past week or so I have been researching tuning my ED. Reading most of the threads in this Green Diesel Engineering section, then reading over at GDE’s forum and finally, some correspondence with GDE answered all of my questions to the point that I have it ordered with the Engine Braking option.

Currently, I have it set up for the ECM Exchange with refund on ECM return. GDE feels that it is not really worth the money to keep my original ECM.

I’ve read several threads on this topic; but, they didn’t really address my concerns. In the general topics where GDE is discussed, it seems the verdict is split on keeping our ECM. I read some kept theirs while others think it’s no big deal to do the Exchange/Refund swap and some seem to even just park the truck for the turn-around time. I am curious to your thoughts.

Some of my thoughts/concerns/questions…

1. $500 to keep vs $50 for every time the dealer overwrites the ECM… or worse yet… heaven forbid… GDE closes the doors and we can’t get re-writes.

2. FCA/EPA Settlement — From what I gather, this only applies to 2016 and older. My 2017 and newer do not qualify. Does that mean I won’t get a recall? … or just that I won’t get the cash back / extended warranty? Not that I care... I didn't know it existed till reading this last week.

3. If I do get a recall, does FCA have some power to force me to upgrade?... at least as long as I don’t have a problem and have to take it to them… to say… replace the motor?

4. In the future can they add or replace some hardware and/or software and make the ECM an encrypted or un-tunable ECM?... at which point I can’t get GDE back on it? At that point GDE loses their business model and closes the doors… thus back to (1).

Obviously, these concerns haven’t kept me from purchasing their tune, I’m just mulling-over whether to keep my ECM or return it for the refund.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I tuned my '16 at 457 mi and did not keep the stock ecm. Now close to 80k and no regrets. I've had warranty work completed and was able to ensure the ecm was not overwritten.

My newest tuned ecm arrives tomorrow to go in Wed after the dealer overwrites my current tune.

If GDE were to close tomorrow, I'd never risk having the ecm overwritten.

Run the hot tune for a while, then consider the transmission tune. It's amazing, really wakes up the truck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I kept my original.

It allows me to swap it before taking it to the dealer and ensure I am not overwritten.
It allows me to sell my tuned ECM if I ever choose to sell the truck without it.
In my case, because I have an international border and currency exchange between me and GDE, it makes it more costly to send it back to GDE or do an exchange.

I understand both views. So you need to choose what works for you. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you
Both of you confirm what I gather over the whole forum... it seems rather balanced... those keeping and those just doing the return shuffle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I kept my original also. I just switched and had the AEM done this morning. Spoke to GDE and they said they would not be surprised if the current AEM flash would need to be done again because of so much bad reports. Another reason i am glad i kept mine, FCA could in the future start asking dealers to download the ecm when major warranty work is needed. Probably not with either one, but who knows? With me it is just piece of mine what i am comfortable with.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I tuned my '16 at 457 mi and did not keep the stock ecm. Now close to 80k and no regrets. I've had warranty work completed and was able to ensure the ecm was not overwritten.

My newest tuned ecm arrives tomorrow to go in Wed after the dealer overwrites my current tune.

If GDE were to close tomorrow, I'd never risk having the ecm overwritten.

Run the hot tune for a while, then consider the transmission tune. It's amazing, really wakes up the truck.
How do you ensure that the ecm isn’t touched? Do you simply tell the dealer that your happy with your truck and to not update it? Just curious. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
Returned my original ECM years ago. After this recent AEM junk I came home and switched to a brand new GDE that I ordered from them the week before. In less than a week I had my refund from GDE again. It has been simple and easy.

Now you have nothing to do with this AEM stuff since you have a 2017. An upgrade could happen but you should not do that since you have GDE. Never allow a dealer to flash your ECM. Back when I had a warranty I both wrote a note and taped it on the dash to NOT flash through the OBDII port. Also covered that post with tape and another note to never flash my ECM. Just use for diagnostics. Dealer cooperated and there was never an issue.

Now, long out of warranty except for that extra thing added after the AEM, only a major failure would have me at a dealer. Independent garages can do all the work, maybe better and certainly cheaper than a dealer. Nothing I might suggest should stop you from giving GDE an additional $700 for their service. Keep your old one. Then you can have that $700 paper weight on your shelf.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did keep my ECM. and has been useful for mandatory updates. The dealer I use tells me its the law and they must flash for rrts.
I am normally up to date of any rrts available for my truck.
however on my last dealer visit for a wheel fare coming loose. they found a RRT and flashed over my tune.
with shipping and insurance both ways is close to $100 to get it back.
So never again will my tune be in truck going to dealer.

I did request for them not to flash, but dealer gets paid and is probably easy money for techs,
Your dealer experience may very.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would keep it ,, if it were me... ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
i'm signed up for the FCA update, I have the GDE hot tune, per GDE the new update following the ECM flash is no different than my current hot tune, so in the process of considering the purchase of a used ECM to install prior to ECM update, I've been told by 2 part suppliers that the Used ECM is VIN dependent which according to them, it needs to be flashed by the dealer before the truck will even start.

Does anyone have knowledge about this?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
i'm signed up for the FCA update, I have the GDE hot tune, per GDE the new update following the ECM flash is no different than my current hot tune, so in the process of considering the purchase of a used ECM to install prior to ECM update, I've been told by 2 part suppliers that the Used ECM is VIN dependent which according to them, it needs to be flashed by the dealer before the truck will even start.

Does anyone have knowledge about this?

only part being right in your post is about the ECM being VIN dependant , a used ECM in your truck will never work ,
it must be matched to your truck , so purchasing a used ECM to drive to the dealer for AEM will never work .
best scenario for you since you are already Hot tuned , is , contact GDE , time your actions to :
- order new GDE updated tune to arrive a few days before your appointment for AEM at dealer.
-dealer applies AEM , you drive the truck back home with crappy tune in it
-arrive home , swap ECM , send back ECM containing AEM to GDE for refund of the $500 core charge like
Captain did , as he wrote it took a week for money to be refunded .

If you wish to have a stock ECM at home , call GDE for possibility to send them a used ECM , they will flash it with
new Hot Tune , and then you actual ECM will become your stock ECM .
[email protected]
Office phone: (248) 977-9531

1 - 13 of 13 Posts