RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned the exhaust brake drops out at 1,100 rpm. It can be programmed down to 800 rpm but that would be part of a tune to do that. Sure explains my experience with it doing little to nothing. When I had GDE I think it would only work above 1,600 rpm.

Now the exhaust brake is supposed to slow you down. If you apply a second bottom press to the "automatic" setting it is supposed to maintain the speed you set it at without slowing you down below that speed. All that needs to go on above the 1,100 rpm threshold. Also read it does not work at all if the 48RE is in first gear. Seems this operation is different than in the past and different than the older 3500's.

This exhaust brake feature is exhausting. Had to say that.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It’s all about Torque Convertor lockup’s... T/H has different shifting and TQ strategy programming , Knowing when it’s locked should help you understand the exhaust brake functionality much better...

BTW on my 2016 the torque converter unlocks at 1400 Rpms, 1100 Rpms unlocks MUCH BETTER !!!!!!! But Ram will not reprogram my truck with different the programming strategy....

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did not try it today. Bummed at the 16.8 mpg I got over 400 miles towing motorcycle in trailer. Old Cummins got 19 towing same rig. Eco did 21-23 mpg towing same. Rides way better than the 1500. We both were impressed there.

Gonna have to read. Up about these torque converters. Bring back my manual transmission.

·
Registered
299 Posts
All I can say is the exhaust brake is absolutely kick ass. I moved 76,000 pounds of hay into the yard yesterday. Scaled at 34k truck, trailer and hay. When being gentle, I was running 24 L/100km and when I ran her hard, it was 25. Needless to say I ran the piss out of her.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will try more times. Brakes so bad compared to Ecodiesel I can use help stopping while towing light without trailer brakes. Heard there might be a recall on the brakes if made in July. That second setting, automatic, does hold speed on downhills.

Doing 800 miles per gallon of DEF.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The whole braking dynamic is much different from the 1500 gassers, not sure of the Ecodiesel though. Requires more pedal pressure and the truck lurches. It will stop in a hurry when needed.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The whole braking dynamic is much different from the 1500 gassers, not sure of the Ecodiesel though. Requires more pedal pressure and the truck lurches. It will stop in a hurry when needed.
Hope so. Hope I don’t have to find out also.

Lot more mass to start and stop than the Ecodiesel. Always called mine “flimsy”, at least the wife coined that and I just kept on. Over five years with the Ecodiesel after twenty years in bigger pickups gave me a good comparison. Just don’t remember the braking needing so much pressure to stop. I find myself overriding turns and stops sometimes. That and fuel mileage are my biggest awakenings.

Hope It is not just an old leg.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was definitely surprised on the braking. Years of gassers, Duramax's and a few 6.5 GM's and I needed to relearn on the Ram. But it will stop in a hurry, my wife can vouch for that.

I find myself "old man" driving the thing. I idle down the town roads and let off the throttle well before stops. Its the only way to really provide a smooth ride for the passengers. Its not how I prefer to drive but its a worth while compromise.

The fuel mileage is plain garbage, comparable to the other diesel trucks, even worse as they are rolling out winter blends already. This past weekend I hauled in 76k pounds of hay into the yard in 4 trips. I used less fuel per load than hauling considerably less with my old gasser. With trailer rental and fuel, I saved approx. 1500$ by using a diesel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts