RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10,000K on 2014 Dodge Ram Ecodiesel. Warning came on that exhaust filter 90% full. Safely drive at highway speeds to remedy. Took truck on highway & warning changed to exhaust system regeneration in process. Exhaust filter 90% full.
All warnings went away after 20 miles. What is this all about? Been getting a strange smell from engine compartment pass couple of weeks. Is this related?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I have 10,000K on 2014 Dodge Ram Ecodiesel. Warning came on that exhaust filter 90% full. Safely drive at highway speeds to remedy. Took truck on highway & warning changed to exhaust system regeneration in process. Exhaust filter 90% full.
All warnings went away after 20 miles. What is this all about? Been getting a strange smell from engine compartment pass couple of weeks. Is this related?

Welcome to the forum!
This is normal and explained in the owner's manual and about 50 times on this forum. Try searching for "regeneration".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Let me google that for you

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
That strange smell was while your truck was attempting to regenerate. The regen will begin at 65% without any notification on the EVIC. If the regen does not complete, the soot will continue to build-up and once you get to the 90% range, you will get the notification on the EVIC.

Here's some information on DPF regeneration

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.

The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Based on my observations, you will not see EGT’s hot enough for passive regeneration at unloaded highway speeds. The EGT’s are actually quite low when cruising on the highway unless you are towing a heavy load or are carrying a full payload.

My typical driving habits are 70% highway and 30% suburban roads. Very rarely will I see any city stop & go type driving with my truck. My truck will regen, on average, every 150 miles during cold weather. Warmer temperatures results in less frequent regens.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My typical driving habits are 70% highway and 30% suburban roads. Very rarely will I see any city stop & go type driving with my truck. My truck will regen, on average, every 150 miles during cold weather. Warmer temperatures results in less frequent regens.
If the EVIC doesn't tell you when it's doing a regen when the filter is under 90%, how do you know it's happening every 150 miles?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Women have a strange perspective.

Her: Why is the truck losing power and the EVIC showing poor mileage?
Me: He's been constipated and now he's taking a dump.
Her: What the hell you talking about?
Me: I explain regeneration to her.
Her: Well, you are so crude Mr. Man. I would prefer to say that she is tinkling...
Her: Everything seems to be fine now, but what's that putrid eye watering smell.
Me: That's RAM farts.
Her: That's ridiculous! When was the last time that you changed your underpants?
Me: Now that is getting personal.
Her: Well, from what you have explained to me, it smells like you are about 90% full and due for a regeneration.
Me: Pull in at the next rest stop.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Some of these threads bring a big smile to my face < Anomaly > :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Regen's

My rig just turned 5000 miles and it has not shown and sign's about a regen so I guess I have driven it hard and fast so it stays clean. The DEF is still just under 1/2 tank. ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
My rig just turned 5000 miles and it has not shown and sign's about a regen so I guess I have driven it hard and fast so it stays clean. The DEF is still just under 1/2 tank. ;)
I have over 17k miles, (28k+ km) and I've not seen a regen message. That's good. Means we're doing things right :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Drive it like you stole-it a few times a week and you'll never see the 'Regen'.

(insert evil laugh here)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts