RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So after a lot (more than normal) mechanical repairs to my 2016 Laramie EcoDiesel (96K miles) such as blown engine at 50k, leaking EGR, Blown courtesy light bulb assy, jammed elect steering rack, if figured it made sense to buy the "bumper to Bumper' extended warranty.

A month back, I received to dash msg "DEF issue, Your Truck will not start after XX miles, see Dealer .."
dropped it off at my favorite dealer who has always done right by me. A month later after waiting 2 plus weeks for the Extended Warrantee adjuster to inspect parts and another 2 weeks for his answer that "No, its due to corrosion ... not covered ...", Please pay $4500+ to fix the melted DEF feed line, melted DEF injector and replace the $300+ DEF tank. I finally took my truck back t fix it myself.

Once on the lift I see the 3 broken SS flange studs, and the melted feed pipe and injector, not sure why I need a new DEF tank.

My problem with the adjusters diagnosis is that the Studs weren't corroded as he stated, they are snapped/broken. How is 3 broken flange bolt qualified as "corrosion" to justify denying my $4500 claim???

So, for now I am replacing 3 SS flange bolts, the Injector & nozzle as well as the DEF feed line, not the Tank.

Does anyone know if the Feed line which is sold separately can be replaced onto the Tank without replacing the tank?

Is anyone else seeing snapped flange studs?

Part #s are:

68161471-AG Feed Line
68232842-AD Injector
6104384-AA Bolts
52029737-AI Tank (not replacing)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct .... Maxicare denied the DEF Plastics meltdown due to exhaust heat after the studs snapped!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've heard of a couple other owners with this problem. I think it's some sort of flaw with the bolts or some undue stress being put on the flange causing the bolts to snap (not corrosion). I'm going to start inspecting mine at every oil change. It looks like the exhaust leak melted the DEF line. If those bolts hadn't snapped, there wouldn't have been the DEF issues. Good luck with the repair. I was thinking of buying the Maxcare warranty, but your experience gives me pause.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think the count is up to 6 now including you, that have had the flange bolts break. Mine was just over a year ago, and covered by warranty. But mine broke on the trans side of the flange, so no damage to DEF components, just a black soot stain on the side of the trans. All of us prior to you have discovered this problem because the escaping exhaust causes a high pitched whistle at high rpms (~2500+). If you have the AEM, the bolts are covered by the AEM warranty, and I think the DEF components should be too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the count is up to 6 now including you, that have had the flange bolts break. Mine was just over a year ago, and covered by warranty. But mine broke on the trans side of the flange, so no damage to DEF components, just a black soot stain on the side of the trans. All of us prior to you have discovered this problem because the escaping exhaust causes a high pitched whistle at high rpms (~2500+). If you have the AEM, the bolts are covered by the AEM warranty, and I think the DEF components should be too.
So I have had the wheezing now for 15,000 miles, getting worse. Just found two of the three bolts snapped when I changed brakes, yesterday. Happily, no malfunction lights, so nothing got melted too badly so far. Problem is I can't figure out how to get the snapped bolts out of there. It doesn't seem like they should be threaded through bot sides of the flange, but when I try to pound out the bolts with a hammer and punch they won't budge.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Grinder / cutting wheel to remove the head of the bolt , then drill bit ""with precision"" ....
if they are not threaded into the flange just drill a hole and use a longer "bolt / nut "
combo , use good stong grade bolts , exhaust is rough on bolts and nuts .
Is there a donut in there ?? or is it just 2 flanges bolted together ??

·
Registered
280 Posts
This link is from a different forum, but it is the same problem you have & one mans fix for it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Grinder / cutting wheel to remove the head of the bolt , then drill bit ""with precision"" ....
if they are not threaded into the flange just drill a hole and use a longer "bolt / nut "
combo , use good stong grade bolts , exhaust is rough on bolts and nuts .
Is there a donut in there ?? or is it just 2 flanges bolted together ??
The tech told me there is a gasket, but didn't specify any further. I'm guessing metallic since nothing else would survive the heat

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue. Bolt on flange snapped and was causing a whining noise. Took it to a muffler shop, they cut off the flange and welded in a small section of pipe for $50.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just took my truck to the local dealer for this issue..... They would not cover the bolts under the AEM warranty. I needed the truck back so I paid for them to do it (1 hour of labor only and the bolts and gasket ~$140, so not a large bill) but this is concerning to me since even the service manager would not budge. Any recourse through FCA Customer Care or should I chalk this up to lesson learned and go to a different dealer?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All,

So after a lot (more than normal) mechanical repairs to my 2016 Laramie EcoDiesel (96K miles) such as blown engine at 50k, leaking EGR, Blown courtesy light bulb assy, jammed elect steering rack, if figured it made sense to buy the "bumper to Bumper' extended warranty.

A month back, I received to dash msg "DEF issue, Your Truck will not start after XX miles, see Dealer .."
dropped it off at my favorite dealer who has always done right by me. A month later after waiting 2 plus weeks for the Extended Warrantee adjuster to inspect parts and another 2 weeks for his answer that "No, its due to corrosion ... not covered ...", Please pay $4500+ to fix the melted DEF feed line, melted DEF injector and replace the $300+ DEF tank. I finally took my truck back t fix it myself.

Once on the lift I see the 3 broken SS flange studs, and the melted feed pipe and injector, not sure why I need a new DEF tank.

My problem with the adjusters diagnosis is that the Studs weren't corroded as he stated, they are snapped/broken. How is 3 broken flange bolt qualified as "corrosion" to justify denying my $4500 claim???

So, for now I am replacing 3 SS flange bolts, the Injector & nozzle as well as the DEF feed line, not the Tank.

Does anyone know if the Feed line which is sold separately can be replaced onto the Tank without replacing the tank?

Part #s are:

68161471-AG Feed Line
68232842-AD Injector
6104384-AA Bolts

View attachment 84200

View attachment 84201

View attachment 84202
Looks like too much stress on the bolts. The one in the lower left of the pic does not look corroded. It would be fun to have a metallurgist look at them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just took my truck to the local dealer for this issue..... They would not cover the bolts under the AEM warranty. I needed the truck back so I paid for them to do it (1 hour of labor only and the bolts and gasket ~$140, so not a large bill) but this is concerning to me since even the service manager would not budge. Any recourse through FCA Customer Care or should I chalk this up to lesson learned and go to a different dealer?
Refer this to FCA for a review, AND find a new dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

Part #s are:

68161471-AG Feed Line
68232842-AD Injector
6104384-AA Bolts

View attachment 84200

View attachment 84201

View attachment 84202
Just had the same thing happen to my 2016 Bighorn ECD with 99k miles. Exactly as shown in your photos. Started to hear louder exhaust noise and then the "DEF Requires Service see dealer" or something to that effect, light came on as well as the engine light. Crawled underneath and all three bolts were broken, rusted or missing and the flanges were offset about half way and the DEF injector connector was disconnected and there was some DEF leakage. I reconnected the flanges with baling wire and a hose clamp so I could get it to the dealer. I had a long discussion with the service person about warranty coverage. As per the AEM Ecodiesel settlement extended warranty on DEF system coverage. He took the stand that the flange bolt breakage disconnect damaged the DEF injector, connector and feeder line and it qualifies as an "accident" as stated in the first paragraph of the warranty. When I reconnected the flanges there was not enough play for either of the flanges to have actually hit or physically damaged the DEF components. The estimate for repairs is over $1000, so far, and I am waiting for a call from another person from the dealer to discuss the cost and warranty. I have never seen anything like the bolts breaking on a 4 year old truck. Maybe on my 1956 Ford back in 1963. There is obviously a design flaw and I will be following up after I speak with the dealership and maybe customer service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened to truck as well.
2016. 85,000 miles. CNA Bumper to bumper warranty. not covered. Mechanic at dealership is going to try and replace the broken studs with bolts. $1,100 to fix the melted parts. 3,500 if he can't.

I'm pretty sure these parts are between the bumpers. So, hypothetically speaking then, if the engine mount bolts break, and the engine drops out of the truck, its not covered because the bolts aren't and that caused the damage?

Hmm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And another case ...
While towing my TT home from its inspection started hearing wheezy / middle pitch humming sound from EcoD as exiting interstate in T/H mode.
Drove for another 2 weeks hearing every day and so when I took my EcoD in for the Updated AEM s/w (VA7) and EGR cooler replacement, I asked dealer to see if they could diagnose the problem. But they didn’t hear the noise after flashing s/w and doing EGR cooler. Over next couple days the hum/wheeze was quieter but still there.
Found this thread and pics and got under my EcoD, found the flange pointing toward the trans was the one that had failed so my DEF injection was spared.

Took pics, got another appointment, showed dealer techs the pics and let them have at it. Got my truck back Wednesday and b/c the bolts for all 3 flanges on the union between DPF and SCR were rusted on both units solid, they replaced BOTH the DPF and the SCR units, under the AEM extended warrantee.

I think I got lucky! Decent dealer, and excellent info from this board that made finding the problem easy!!

Thank you to you all for sharing your experiences and especially the pics that and details that made it easy to assess whether I had the problem!! Greatly appreciated!
IMG_0013.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
just had this happen to my 2016 limited, 100,000 miles , dealer would not cover it FCA said it wasn't covered, but first paragraph of AEM extended warranty says it is, so I'm submitting a claim, I found a shop in SLC Utah to fix this for about 300.00 . great deal compared to what the dealer wanted, they took great care and pressed the old bolts out, no heat or pounding or drilling, Harris Auto thank you, I have loved this truck but getting really tired of the endless recalls,

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me too, just got the truck back on Friday! I started hearing that wheezing sound and a few hours later got a check engine light, the next day I got the engine won't restart in 200 miles warning. Bolts were broken so something must have jumped up and hit it. Nope, I would have known if something hit it hard enough to break it like that. Was not covered under warranty it was determined to be an accident. Strange all of us are having the exact same issue. Wouldn't the odds on that be pretty astronomical? And not to mention how many people this has happened to that aren't chiming in on forums? How do you get a class action suit going? Too much happening for this to just be coincidence. I have a 2017 RAM with 65K miles, bought new and will have had it for 4 years come October.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts