RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pretty sure the Canadian emissions warranty was 3yr 60,000km. I was out of this warranty at 14 months after purchase new when my egr cooler cracked at 70,000kms. FCA said tough titty.
Just going by what my diesel mech told me. Said FCA extended the warranty .... maybe just for the SCR?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So because I didn't like the attitude from the service lady on the phone I called another dealer who gave me the number for Customer Care. Customer care says they almost never have any good information to share but in this particular case luckily they had access to a file that was a long list of things covered under what is known as the x 78 diesel warranty. I have 195.5k miles and they informed me that I still have 35 months or 39000 miles of warranty remaining. And everything from the dpf, EGR, def system, catalytics, fuel system, sensors, intake, ecm, TCM, cylinder heads, turbo systems, throttle, any diagnostic and any repair are free of charge under this warranty. Specifically the dpf is listed as d p f and assembly so that spells it out that it should be covered. As the DPf studs are built into the DPF and there are no separate part numbers for those bolts. My next question is will they replace on warranty the intake manifold which is completely plugged with heavy greasy Coke from exhaust regurgitation. I believe that is what's causing my poor MPG. Currently my MPGs are between 19 MPG in winter and as high as 32 MPG on a very long distance Highway run to Florida from Minnesota. Otherwise City I would say I'm 21 summer and the highest I've seen for Highway in town is 27 very briefly. If I had to summarize I would say between 21 and 24 MPG average and this is with the diesel lawsuit tune.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 270,000 KM.
2,147 Posts
So because I didn't like the attitude from the service lady on the phone I called another dealer who gave me the number for Customer Care. Customer care says they almost never have any good information to share but in this particular case luckily they had access to a file that was a long list of things covered under what is known as the x 78 diesel warranty. I have 195.5k miles and they informed me that I still have 35 months or 39000 miles of warranty remaining. And everything from the dpf, EGR, def system, catalytics, fuel system, sensors, intake, ecm, TCM, cylinder heads, turbo systems, throttle, any diagnostic and any repair are free of charge under this warranty. Specifically the dpf is listed as d p f and assembly so that spells it out that it should be covered. As the DPf studs are built into the DPF and there are no separate part numbers for those bolts. My next question is will they replace on warranty the intake manifold which is completely plugged with heavy greasy Coke from exhaust regurgitation. I believe that is what's causing my poor MPG. Currently my MPGs are between 19 MPG in winter and as high as 32 MPG on a very long distance Highway run to Florida from Minnesota. Otherwise City I would say I'm 21 summer and the highest I've seen for Highway in town is 27 very briefly. If I had to summarize I would say between 21 and 24 MPG average and this is with the diesel lawsuit tune.
Your mpg limitations may be directly connected to your AEM tune. The improved driveability of a good tune would shock you. The increase in mileage would just be an added bonus.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Been going through twice as much def as normal. Went under truck to clean def injector but before i could do that i see a small gap on top of flange. I start truck and feel exhaust leak. Now im under truck with my tools. I feel for the top bolt and nut and it breaks with just me touching it. Ok then i put socket on bottom one and it breaks before i turn socket. Ok at this point this is crazy. The 3rd bolt is not corroded and wont come out. Take to dealer to drill out and want to charge 330$. Thought this was covered by aem. My truck 2016 with 65k gde tuned since 25k

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Been going through twice as much def as normal. Went under truck to clean def injector but before i could do that i see a small gap on top of flange. I start truck and feel exhaust leak. Now im under truck with my tools. I feel for the top bolt and nut and it breaks with just me touching it. Ok then i put socket on bottom one and it breaks before i turn socket. Ok at this point this is crazy. The 3rd bolt is not corroded and wont come out. Take to dealer to drill out and want to charge 330$. Thought this was covered by aem. My truck 2016 with 65k gde tuned since 25k
Won't come out because it's a pressed in stud, not a bolt.

Confirm that you're still covered under the AEM warranty. Then insist on a new DPF as that is the proper fix for the broken flange studs. The studs are not a serviceable part as they're part of the DPF assembly. A new DPF is the proper fix and what they did to my '16.

If you're covered under the AEM warranty and they won't replace the DPF, find a better dealer. Might also be covered under an emissions warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The bill came out to 300$ to drill all 3 out and install new exhaust bolts. They said aem would not cover. Oh well i tried, by at least i caught it bofore it melted injector wire. Just cleaned def injector using steam. Truck had 66k miles and gde tuned since 28k. Got all def at pump. Will be buying peak platinum to minimize deposits.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
The bill came out to 300$ to drill all 3 out and install new exhaust bolts. They said aem would not cover. Oh well i tried, by at least i caught it bofore it melted injector wire. Just cleaned def injector using steam. Truck had 66k miles and gde tuned since 28k. Got all def at pump. Will be buying peak platinum to minimize deposits.
Platinum is a marketing scam, but it's your money.

So you're still under the AEM warranty but they said it's not covered? My dealer covered it under AEM warranty.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
794 Posts
You seen any difference in using platinum vs out of pump. Looking for for real world advice. Gonna give it a try and see the difference.
one person here has been using platinum religiously and had some photos of his injector after several thousand miles. I think in this thread:

·
Registered
120 Posts
The bill came out to 300$ to drill all 3 out and install new exhaust bolts
Get in touch with the law firm that handled the ecodieselsettlement, they'll get you a check from FCA. This is what my dealer did to me and Customer Care insisted it wasn't covered under AEM. Didn't have another dealer nearby I wanted to work with so paid the bill, sent a few emails and PDFs.

Reactions: ajb3015

·
Registered
794 Posts
it's good to know there is an alternative if the dealer and FCA try to screw you, but it sucks that it requires a lawyer and extra work on your part

·
Registered
120 Posts
it's good to know there is an alternative if the dealer and FCA try to screw you, but it sucks that it requires a lawyer and extra work on your part
Agreed. Talking with Customer Care and having them lookup the AEM warranty they still insisted the flange studs were not covered, didn't even think of the fact that being studs they're a part of the DPF.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman
10 Posts
With 195,000 miles, it would surprise me. It's about 1 hour to replace the bolts. To remove the bolts, try heating them very hot, spray just the bolt with water and knock out with a hammer and punch. I used WD 40 to spray the bolts and it worked. By cooling the bolt while flange is red hot, bolt shrinks and easily comes out. Otherwise you'll have to drill em out. I ran a 3/8" drill thru then used 3 grade 8 bolts to replace.
What size bolts did you use? Could you possibly send me a link to the ones you used?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I used grade 8 3/8" fine thread. Probably got em at Home Depot or a local hardware store. Not sure what the metric equivalent would be. I know some have also used stainless. Grade 8 may be overkill, but they are very strong.

Reactions: UHBrandt

·
Registered
794 Posts
The metric equivalent to a grade 8 3/8 fine thread would be a class 10.9 M10-1.25. Though fine thread is likely not required so you could use an M10-1.5 which is probably more readily available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

So after a lot (more than normal) mechanical repairs to my 2016 Laramie EcoDiesel (96K miles) such as blown engine at 50k, leaking EGR, Blown courtesy light bulb assy, jammed elect steering rack, if figured it made sense to buy the "bumper to Bumper' extended warranty.

A month back, I received to dash msg "DEF issue, Your Truck will not start after XX miles, see Dealer .."
dropped it off at my favorite dealer who has always done right by me. A month later after waiting 2 plus weeks for the Extended Warrantee adjuster to inspect parts and another 2 weeks for his answer that "No, its due to corrosion ... not covered ...", Please pay $4500+ to fix the melted DEF feed line, melted DEF injector and replace the $300+ DEF tank. I finally took my truck back t fix it myself.

Once on the lift I see the 3 broken SS flange studs, and the melted feed pipe and injector, not sure why I need a new DEF tank.

My problem with the adjusters diagnosis is that the Studs weren't corroded as he stated, they are snapped/broken. How is 3 broken flange bolt qualified as "corrosion" to justify denying my $4500 claim???

So, for now I am replacing 3 SS flange bolts, the Injector & nozzle as well as the DEF feed line, not the Tank.

Does anyone know if the Feed line which is sold separately can be replaced onto the Tank without replacing the tank?

Is anyone else seeing snapped flange studs?

Part #s are:

68161471-AG Feed Line
68232842-AD Injector
6104384-AA Bolts
52029737-AI Tank (not replacing)

View attachment 84200

View attachment 84201

View attachment 84202
Does anyone know the part number for the gasket that goes between the flanges? I drilled out and put in new stainless bolt, but still have a small leak. Thanks

·
Registered
4,779 Posts

Attachments

41 - 59 of 59 Posts