RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a couple of minor problems with my EcoDiesel (~6,000 miles on it), and one major one. They are:

1. 3rd brake light had to be resealed due to water leaking inside of the cab.

It was an easy fix performed by the dealership.

2. I was filling up one day and noticed that a good amount of diesel was leaking from underneath the bed of the truck.

The fix was to replace the filler neck of the fuel and DEF tank.

3. I noticed an exhaust smell inside of the cab of the truck, and it got worse.

I first thought it was because I was behind an 18-wheeler, but the problem persisted. I reported it when I first took it in with the 3rd brake light problem but they said everything was fine. I reported it again when I took it in for the filler necks to be replaced, and they said it was related to the filler necks and would be replaced after waiting a week for the parts to come in. That wasn't the problem. The smell got really bad, like horrible when my brother and I were going to lunch for his birthday. It got to the point where it made us dizzy, and gave us headaches. We had to turn off the A/C, and roll down the windows as I promptly made my way to the dealership. I'm a paramedic and I am pretty sure we had elevated CO levels, and the dealership confirmed the presence of CO when they test drove the vehicle. They told me to keep it at the shop and they would get it fixed. The same day, the service coordinator called and advised that they were having problems finding the part (Part# 6826373AB - Catalytic converter). They said the problem was the tube that goes from the turbo to the catalytic converter, and that they couldn't find it anywhere. They finally contacted me a couple of days later and said the part had an estimated arrival time of October 15th, greater than one month away. They put me into a Dodge Avenger and grew kind of quiet from there. I escalated the problem to Ram and they assigned me a case number and manager of the Parts Specialty Team. They stated that he/she would contact me in 3-5 business days after an investigation was completed. The next day, the service coordinator called me and apologized for the lack of communication. Her daughter had a baby and she had been out of the office for a few days. She told me that RAM was engineering a new part for my problem and that it was currently in testing, and that is why it was taking so long.

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced anything similar, but that is what I am going through. I bought the truck in late June, and I started having problems pretty much from day 1, but in and out of the shop since July. It's been in the shop for this latest incident since September 4th and won't come out until October 15th (hopefully). It sucks being out of the truck for so long, making vehicle and insurance payments for it, especially since I can't even drive it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to proceed from here? Any demands I should make for being out of the vehicle for so long, especially with so many problems?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Honestly, I think your situations is the exact reason why many states have adopted lemon laws. You should look into the laws in your state. Of course Ram would prefer to keep the truck until the problem is resolved, but on your side you are out a lot of cash for an asset that you cannot utilize. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had same issue with exhaust smell. It was the exhaust pipe coming off turbo. Apparently the nuts were started on the bolts but they were never tightened. As far as how to proceed... Tell them what you feel you are owed and see what happens. Maybe you can get some reimbursement for payments or some free services for down the road. Extended warranty maybe?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea man same exhaust issue here. Haven't taken it to a dealer yet mainly bec I don't want to lose the truck for a month or more. I wrote down that part number and a few other notes to give my dealer when I go to hopefully help assist them. Kind of a pain in the ass, but also expected when owning a first year diesel with all these emission laws. As much as I want to remove all of it, it's nice standing behind this truck and not dying from the diesel fumes. I wouldn't be discouraged at this point from a power train perspective but the leaking cab issue that people are starting to inherit has me worried. I've had a silverado that leaked before, basically impossible to fix. Hopefully this third brake light issue is not that serious. On my Tacoma I used rtv to seal around the light after it was installed on the cab. Worked pretty well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My truck has exactly the same exhaust leak. The pipe between to catlytic converter and turbo has a crack where it mounts to turbo. They found the problem very quickly but have had the truck 2 weeks trying to find the part. They told me the same thing that the part had been revised and was not available yet and the old part was out of stock and could not be re-ordered. They told me last week that the new part was scheduled to be in on Oct. 24. However, they called today and said that one had been located and should arrive early next week. That has been the only problem so otherwise I'm satisfied with the truck. It looks like this leak is a chronic problem since I've seen several posts with the same problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would ask them to put some exhaust tape on it and return the truck until the part is in, that way you have the truck, no fumes and they don't have to worry about pissing a customer off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was able to pick my truck up today. It took 2 weeks to get the part which was quicker than I expected. I was happy with the response from the dealership. The problem was that these parts are not available yet. They only needed the short elbow that connects to the turbo but had to order the entire Catalytic converter assy (#68155790-AC). The picture shows the expansion joint where the converter assy attaches to the turbo was partially broken.
exhaust leak.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting break in the exhaust...I don't think a dealer would put exhaust tape on it until the new parts arrive...that's a law suit if something happen to someone. It wouldn't surprise me to see a recall for that original part.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Exhaust Leak

I am having the same problem but also accompanied by lots of white smoke from under the hood when I stop.
Mine had white smoke from under the hood also. It was coming from between the rear of the engine and firewall. I posted the picture of the broken expansion joint above which was the cause of the leak on my truck.

There continues to be more people posting this problem so you would think that a recall would be in order. Also, the corrugated pipe used to make that section appeared to be very thin so I expect more failures on other trucks using this part/design. My dealer told me the part has been redesigned and the new part is not available yet so they had to use a part with the old design to make the repair. I was happy to get the truck back but I would rather have the re-designed part.

As for how to get the repair done quickly, I think the Chrysler customer service line is not terribly helpful. You should call that number and have them establish a case. But after that they are very slow and the case manager that was assigned to me never answered the phone and never had up to date info. The dealership parts manager seemed to have more accurate delivery info. After that, get a rental car from the dealership and then try to work with the dealership parts dept manager while he locates the part. There were very few of these parts becoming available and I don't know how orders from each dealer are priortized.

I reccommend taking a very harsh tone with the customer service reps at Chrysler so they will quickly understand how dissatified you are with the RAM brand. But I would treat the dealership employees with respect and simply ask for their help. They are the ones that will repair the truck in the end so a good relationship with them will help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was able to pick my truck up today. It took 2 weeks to get the part which was quicker than I expected. I was happy with the response from the dealership. The problem was that these parts are not available yet. They only needed the short elbow that connects to the turbo but had to order the entire Catalytic converter assy (#68155790-AC). The picture shows the expansion joint where the converter assy attaches to the turbo was partially broken.
View attachment 2984
That looks like metal fatigue taking place in the picture. Not good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue - exhasut in cab. One dealer told me that is was from the regen cycle, but my truck was not in regen. Took to another dealer, and they wont let me have the truck back due to the exhaust leak. still waiting to hear what is broken - maybe the cat conv assy like stated in this thread. Once I find out I will post what was the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well as suspected Catalytic Converter Assy bellows is blown out and entire assy has to be replaced. $2179 for assy - covered under warranty. Lead time is several weeks as the part is back ordered. Customer service states Chrylser/Fiat is working on replacement of bellows of the assembly. No time was given for the updated repaired part. Not sure if I am getting another Cat Conv Assy with the same bellows that will have the same issue in 3K miles.??

IMPALADAVE64 -did the dealer give you an upgraded part or the same style as the part that was bad?? What if the same issue occurs again??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well as suspected Catalytic Converter Assy bellows is blown out and entire assy has to be replaced. $2179 for assy - covered under warranty. Lead time is several weeks as the part is back ordered. Customer service states Chrylser/Fiat is working on replacement of bellows of the assembly. No time was given for the updated repaired part. Not sure if I am getting another Cat Conv Assy with the same bellows that will have the same issue in 3K miles.??

IMPALADAVE64 -did the dealer give you an upgraded part or the same style as the part that was bad?? What if the same issue occurs again??
They replaced the broken part with a new part made by the old design. That was the only choice. I hoping that not all the parts made with the old design will fail or by the time it does fail the re-designed part will be available. I wish we had more details like what design is being used on engines that are currently in production and what is the failure rate of the old design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well is seems that the part I need is a Tube - Pressure Front P/N 68263757AA. It is being drop-shipped from the supplier. ETA Tuesday. Trying to find a picture of it to post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with my truck. I have had it in twice. The first time the mechanics did not smell the exhaust odor. They told me that I am noticing it because I am not familiar diesels. I informed them that they couldn't be any more mistaken. I have other diesel trucks, and they are all older and roll coal and do not smell in the cab. This afternoon I got it back from the second visit of 3 days. This time they told me that the mechanic contacted Chrysler engineering (what a waste). I was then told this is "normal". They went further to tell me that I should run the AC on max or recirculate so that it does not bring in fresh air. Total insult to a persons intelligence (especially the alleged response from engineering).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Even when you select recirculate on the AC you still receive about 10% fresh air from out side. This is so if you do have an exhaust leak coming in the cab someplace you don't end up asphyxiated. Sounds like they didn't contact anyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was very close to buying one of these but not after reading these posts. Too bad. Overall the concept of a diesel truck getting 25-27 mpg sounds good but not if you're going to get sick (or worse - death) from carbon monoxide poisoning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Exhaust Leak Repair

Same issue with my truck. I have had it in twice. The first time the mechanics did not smell the exhaust odor. They told me that I am noticing it because I am not familiar diesels. I informed them that they couldn't be any more mistaken. I have other diesel trucks, and they are all older and roll coal and do not smell in the cab. This afternoon I got it back from the second visit of 3 days. This time they told me that the mechanic contacted Chrysler engineering (what a waste). I was then told this is "normal". They went further to tell me that I should run the AC on max or recirculate so that it does not bring in fresh air. Total insult to a persons intelligence (especially the alleged response from engineering).
It's unfortunate how different the customer experience is from dealer to dealer. I called my dealer the second time I saw white smoke coming from the AC vents and the service manager told me to bring the truck in immediately. They diagnosed the problem pretty quickly so I suspect the problem is well known by RAM, especially at this point. You should call RAM customer service and complain about your dealer's lack of response. Also. I would request to speak to the dealer's owner or general manager. There are other threads on this site with pictures of the failed exhaust parts. A service tech also posted that with these trucks you should never smell the traditional diesel exhaust smell because of the the way the exhaust is treated unless there is a leak before the catalytic converter.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.