RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mashed on it a little to pass a slower vehicle. Heard a "pop" that sounded like I had a tire blow out on me. But the ride continued to feel fine. CEL came on and message telling me to get my exhaust system checked and also the dreaded throttle position sensor message. Although the truck maintained speed, it soon became apparent that the system had gone into limp mode.

I couldn't see anything wrong and I brought the truck to an independent shop. They're a couple of days backed up but I should have an idea what's going on soon.

Any guesses as to the problem and what it'll cost me?

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
734 Posts
Intercooler piping would be my guess as well. That would make the popping sound as well as throw an underboost code, and make the truck feel like it's in limp mode. It really isn't in limp mode, but because of the leak from the piping the engine is acting like it's naturally aspirated instead of turbocharged, so it feels gutless.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep us posted. If you are near an auto parts store, they may be able to read the codes for you. Good luck.
I brought the truck to an independent shop.
Blew a intercooler piping boot off
Intercooler piping would be my guess as well. That would make the popping sound as well as throw an underboost code, and make the truck feel like it's in limp mode. It really isn't in limp mode, but because of the leak from the piping the engine is acting like it's naturally aspirated instead of turbocharged, so it feels gutless.
We have winners! The shop just called me to let me know that they were able to check it out. They found a "broken" intercooler pipe. It will run me over $800 for the repair--over $500 just for the part. Also, they went through the codes and only found an old code relating to the cruise control.

So, yeah, it might not be in limp mode. HOWEVER it is hesitant to upshift when I'm on the throttle and I have to let off of the throttle to let it shift. Also, when I get it up into 8th if I mash on it it appears to downshift but the gear indicator stays on "8" so I'm guessing that whatever is going on is not allowing the torque converter to lock up when under load.

I wasn't expecting to have an answer this quickly and it looks like the part should be in tomorrow.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We have winners! The shop just called me to let me know that they were able to check it out. They found a "broken" intercooler pipe. It will run me over $800 for the repair--over $500 just for the part. Also, they went through the codes and only found an old code relating to the cruise control.

So, yeah, it might not be in limp mode. HOWEVER it is hesitant to upshift when I'm on the throttle and I have to let off of the throttle to let it shift. Also, when I get it up into 8th if I mash on it it appears to downshift but the gear indicator stays on "8" so I'm guessing that whatever is going on is not allowing the torque converter to lock up when under load.

I wasn't expecting to have an answer this quickly and it looks like the part should be in tomorrow.
Glad you got an official diagnosis in a timely manner. Not glad you have to pay over $800 for the repair😐 Hopefully back at cruising speed soon😎

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just spoke to the shop again. Turns out they close at noon on Fridays, so there's no way I'm getting the truck back before late Monday. It's a dealer only part so they ordered from the dealer. In my experience the dealer won't get the part until after my shop closes on Friday. Even if they get the part Friday it's highly unlikely they'll be able to get the truck done on Friday before they close at noon.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
734 Posts
$500 for one plastic pipe is insane. yeah I get that it's a dealer only part but that's still outrageous. you can get a complete kit with all new aluminum piping (both hot and cold sides), for $555

or about $300 for either the hot or cold side.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Glad it wasn't anything major.

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must commend the shop. Robert's Auto Repair in Lafayette, Louisiana. I had first brought my truck to my "usual" mechanic. You know, the one who did my tone wheel/sensor for half the price of a dealer repair. He was backed up a good 3 months. So I asked him to recommend somebody and he recommended Robert's.

I got to Robert's on Wednesday afternoon and they informed me that they should be able to check it out on the following Monday--today. However, things were moving more quickly through the shop than they thought and they were able to diagnose my truck on Thursday and order the part. At this point, I fully expected the part to come in after closing time (1:30) Friday, so actually Monday. But the part came in early and they had the truck fixed Friday!

The truck is fixed and runs just fine now. I guess the previous post about the lack of power being because of the lack of boost was correct because they didn't have to clear any codes or anything.

If I had to complain, it would be due to the 3% charge for using a card to pay. That brought the total up to $875. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the shop and its work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts