RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust System Regeneration EVIC Screen

8K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  97hmcs 
#1 ·
Is this screen common when the exhaust system regenerates? I have over 3,000 miles on my ED and have never seen this screen. I took this screenshot from a video another member posted after installing a GDE tune.

Kkaldor

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I've got 60,000 miles on my "15" and have only gotten that message once.
As I understand it when you get that message you need to get your truck up to temperature and take it for a nice drive,
mine only took a few minutes at 55 mph to start counting down the % to about 30%.
If you don't do so supposedly if it gets more plugged up you will go into the limp mode and have to go to your dealer and have a parked regen
done to it, so it would be cheaper to take it out on the open road and drive it.
Also on mine I buttoned it down to hold into 6th gear to get a few more rpm on the engine at 55 mph.

#7 ·
You want to run it down past 10% until it tells you the regeneration is complete.

You generally won't see this message with the stock tune if the 65% regens complete as they should.

Reactions: 97hmcs
#6 ·
Short answer is no , if you drive your truck long enough distances you will never see that message. If you only take short trips , it may come up often.

#10 ·
Run it hard and as stated above, you never see it. It is going on often without an appropriate tune. That's normal and not anything you can tell unless you have a monitor gauge to ready your CAT temperatures to know when it happens.

#12 ·
Kkaldor , you have 3000 miles , and stock tune , you had at least 15 regens ,
you must have smelled the " burnt paint smell " associatewith a regen , if you stop your truck in the middle of a regen
it will just start again when you reach 66% soot in the Diesel Particule Filter .
if it completes , you are at 9% , and it will take longer to reach 66% . Even when you reach 66% the regen will only start once
the truck has reached the needed minimum températures , this is why MANY consecutive short trips will never get warm
enough to even start the regen , that is when you see the warning message about 80% soot .
you mention the 90% message when swapping ECM with GDE tune module ,
since the new module does not have any data to tell it at what level the DPF is full ,
it starts a regen to first establish the basic low soot level of 9% , and go on from there
if you were to put the stock ECM back in , the soot % level the stock module " last registered before removal " would go on from where it was then.

#13 ·
The GDE tune owner purchased optional feature to have Regen message posted each time DPF regen occurs. Stock tune or GDE without that option only shows regen message when at or above 85% (?) full and message also instructs owner to drive truck at highway speeds to remedy full state of DPF. Your regents have been happening starting at a lower %full so no warning message is posted.

#14 ·
Quick question, I'm not savvy or active like many of you folks here, and I haven't done any mods to my truck. 56K miles on it and haven't had any issues (knock on wood). I have NEVER seen a regen screen, is this normal? Thanks in advance for the input!

#20 ·
I am not understanding this discussion of never seeing that message. We take a vacation towing a 5000 lb trailer between 3000 and 5000 miles and I get the 80% regen notice at least twice each trip. I had an engine replaced at 30K miles and now have 54K and the new engine has had GDE tune on from the beginning. I know the GDE tune extended the time between the 80% regens.

#23 ·
2016 68k KMS never have seen this message. Now that I say that.......wait for it...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#24 ·
everyone should have a monitor on the truck like the banks, or the edge which I see on Amazon for 380 bucks from time to time. It takes all the guesswork out of what's going on with your truck. The last thing you want to do is shut your truck down while it's in regeneration and the turbo is 1000 degrees.

#31 ·
It certainly won't hurt to complete a regen, but it's not a problem if you shutdown before it completes. The truck is designed to pickup where it left off if necessary.

I just noticed during a regen today that the DPF temp. was 1,245 degrees and the turbo was just over 500 degrees. This was while driving and if you stop and idle for less than one minute the turbo will be even cooler.

#26 ·
It's all coming back to me. I seem to remember Keith telling me that the truck with stock tune is doing regens quite often. Not 100% sure, but I believe the way GDE slows down the regens is by not letting it regen until it hits the 80% mark. Others may have said the same thing, but that is what I recall

#27 ·
true Bruce , also the fact that FCA added an extra cycle of injection , just to make the engine quieter
adds to the production of soot , getting the soot % to climb much faster too .
those with GDE don't mind the Diesel noise because it only means giving up silence benefits , in exchange for
better engine longevity .
we will have the proof of all this 5 years from now .......
lots of short runs , stock tune regen every 100 miles +/-
same habits , Hot Tuned , over 600 miles .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.