RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Your first have to install a bypass harness to allow the tool access to the ECU. Very simple. Included with purchase, I believe it is needed on 2018 models and newer. Then download your stock tune to the tool. Then connect with GDE and send it to them. A short time later they will send you the tune to download to the tool. Then you go back to the truck and install the tune. Complete instructions are on their website. The tool retains the stock tune if you ever want to put it back, and the new tune. They say eight minutes to re-install the stock tune. Sounds about right. The engine and trans tune are one tune together. Also reads codes. I will be keeping the tool in my truck should I have a roadside issue.
You only have one thing wrong and that is sending the stock tune and receiving the updated tune from GDE. You will need to save the stock tune to a folder on your windows computer and name it the way GDE shows in their instructions which is your order number followed by your first name followed by your last name then the extension and send it as an attachment by email to GDE. They will do their magic and email you the new tune back to you as an attachment with a new file name so you know it is the Hot Tune & Trans Tune, just copy that attachment to the same folder you copied the stock tune in and you then download it onto the scan tool, once it is on the scan tool you are ready to hook up to your truck. The scan tool will have the stock tune and the new modified tune on it so once you are hooked back up to the truck open the icon to tune and select the new tune from GDE. They will have different names, the stock tune on mine was the top of the list and the GDE tune was under it. There will only be the two tunes on the scan tool at this time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Only difference i can tell from old to new tune is when you set cruise control when truck is not at full temp it feels a little jerky when going up and down hills. Its hard to feel but goes away when truck gets to operating temp.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 2wd with 3.92 gears and tow package, Tradesman
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good morning All,

Having loaded the EPA Compliant GDE tune on my truck a week or two ago, I thought I’d give my initial impressions of the new tune. I did have the original “GDE Hot Tune” on my truck prior to this, including the transmission tune as well. I tuned my truck initially around the 25,000 mark. And then after the AEM flash, I added the transmission tune, simply because the AEM flash neutered the transmission as well as the engine. Fast forward until a month or two ago, around 139,000 miles on the truck. I came home one night to the smell of coolant. I popped the hood to find the coolant reservoir empty. I looked under the truck to find coolant all along the underside of the truck, mostly between the frame rails. I do have a 90 mile round-trip commute to work every day. Because of this, and knowing of the issues with the EGR Cooler, I religiously check my fluids in my truck, and had checked them that very day before leaving for work. All that to say, my truck lost all coolant on the way home that night. Fortunately, all temps were good upon arriving home, therefore, I must’ve lost my coolant just prior to arriving home that night. So I had my EGR Cooler replaced, thereby losing my tunes. Although I did flash the transmission back to stock to preserve the tool.

I love the new tune, to me, it is identical to the old one, but better. Better in that one can easily flash between stock and tuned. I can’t brag on GDE enough on their exceptional customer service. I even had the pleasure of talking to Keith himself over the phone for 10 minutes or so. Not just about Ecodiesels, but just chit-chat in general. He’s a solid dude, with a solid, well deserved reputation. For anyone on the fence, with regards to using the new GDE EPA compliant tune, you will not be disappointed! I highly recommend the new tune, its parent company that has outstanding customer support, and the owner himself. Great job, GDE!!!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts