RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Experiences with new EPA Compliant GDE Tune?

24K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Barney556180 
#1 ·
Has anyone had experience with the new GDE EPA compliant tune? I’m just curious. Knowing GDE, it’ll be great.

#4 ·
My truck is finally out of warranty with 125k on her. I am anxiously awaiting actual users experience with this tune/tuner. I do like the idea of not having to swap out the PCM. What I am most looking for is the performance my truck lost when it was updated during the EPA settlement. Please post your results. An independent before and after same day dyno review would tell us all what we need to know before laying down $1,100+

#5 ·
There has been a couple of people with their initial reactions near the end of this thread:

#7 ·
I just installed the GDE tune on my '19 Classic ED cc 2wd. The install went ok, no problems. I did not get any codes after the install, just a trailer brake warning when I first started it that has not come back on. My initial test drive is pretty positive, has much better throttle response and shifts quicker. It shifts into 8th gear on cruise when before it would not unless you were going over 60 mph. If you got up to speed and let it shift into 8th then set cruise it would, but after stopping then using resume it would stay in 7th. Glad that's fixed. The way it shifts now should help with the mpg's. Kicks down quickly when you step on it and just feels more responsive, which is what I was hoping for. Lag when taking off from a stop is much better. I will update after I get to put some miles on it. Overall, very pleased so far. Thanks to GDE!

#8 ·
So I got to drive down to the beach this afternoon and thought it might be a good mpg test for the GDE tune. This is what I would consider mixed driving, lots of back roads with stop and go driving, almost no sitting in traffic. Note the avg. mph. Not sure if it is better than without the tune being it still has less than 1k miles. But whatever I still am pleased in that my old '07 Silverado CC 1500 4.8l 2wd got about 18-19 mpg on this same loop that I have driven many times. I expect I may see a small mpg improvement as it gets broken in and the tune learns a bit more, if they do that. I will be towing my boat with it for the first time this weekend, I will post my impressions of that soon. Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Car Auto part

#9 ·
Towed the boat to our favorite ramp today and to say I'm impressed might be understated. Very smooth, never needed more than about half throttle to get up to speed, major difference between the ED and my old Silverado. My sister in law in the back seat said it didn't even feel like we were pulling a trailer. About a 50 mile loop there and back on back country roads, never going over 55 and the dash said 16.8 mpg, in tow mode. I did not order the trailer brake function but it downshifts on braking like it has it....maybe it is the tow mode. But it works well and very smooth. This truck is going to make towing a pleasure and the back up camera is aimed perfect for hooking up the trailer. BTW, my rig weighs in at very near 4000 lbs. Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Bumper Pickup truck

#11 ·
Your first have to install a bypass harness to allow the tool access to the ECU. Very simple. Included with purchase, I believe it is needed on 2018 models and newer. Then download your stock tune to the tool. Then connect with GDE and send it to them. A short time later they will send you the tune to download to the tool. Then you go back to the truck and install the tune. Complete instructions are on their website. The tool retains the stock tune if you ever want to put it back, and the new tune. They say eight minutes to re-install the stock tune. Sounds about right. The engine and trans tune are one tune together. Also reads codes. I will be keeping the tool in my truck should I have a roadside issue.

#13 ·
I love the ability to flash back to stock tune when going to the dealer. Will the dealer be able to detect that flashing is occuring? So is there a detectable event or activity log that the ECM is storing that will be a red flag?

#16 ·
You can flash back and forth all you want. What it means is FCA if they want to can see the number of flashes. Can/will they use this information against the customer is anyone’s guess.

Reactions: 97hmcs
#20 ·
Just installed the new compliant tune. I did a short drive (~40 miles or so) and can say that I am incredibly pleased. There is noticeably more torque at low RPMs, and the transmission logic now does its darndest to keep the engine RPMs low in the torque band. My only regret is that I didn't get the tune installed 6 years ago when I bought the truck.

I'll try to post an update after some more mileage has been put on the truck.

#23 ·
Good morning All,

Having loaded the EPA Compliant GDE tune on my truck a week or two ago, I thought I’d give my initial impressions of the new tune. I did have the original “GDE Hot Tune” on my truck prior to this, including the transmission tune as well. I tuned my truck initially around the 25,000 mark. And then after the AEM flash, I added the transmission tune, simply because the AEM flash neutered the transmission as well as the engine. Fast forward until a month or two ago, around 139,000 miles on the truck. I came home one night to the smell of coolant. I popped the hood to find the coolant reservoir empty. I looked under the truck to find coolant all along the underside of the truck, mostly between the frame rails. I do have a 90 mile round-trip commute to work every day. Because of this, and knowing of the issues with the EGR Cooler, I religiously check my fluids in my truck, and had checked them that very day before leaving for work. All that to say, my truck lost all coolant on the way home that night. Fortunately, all temps were good upon arriving home, therefore, I must’ve lost my coolant just prior to arriving home that night. So I had my EGR Cooler replaced, thereby losing my tunes. Although I did flash the transmission back to stock to preserve the tool.

I love the new tune, to me, it is identical to the old one, but better. Better in that one can easily flash between stock and tuned. I can’t brag on GDE enough on their exceptional customer service. I even had the pleasure of talking to Keith himself over the phone for 10 minutes or so. Not just about Ecodiesels, but just chit-chat in general. He’s a solid dude, with a solid, well deserved reputation. For anyone on the fence, with regards to using the new GDE EPA compliant tune, you will not be disappointed! I highly recommend the new tune, its parent company that has outstanding customer support, and the owner himself. Great job, GDE!!!

#25 · (Edited)
I drove down to GDE to get my 2014 (133k miles) HT with regen message in November.

The guys provided great personal customer service and infinite patience answering my questions, during the install, and after.

I could feel the improvements immediately. From leaving their driveway it felt like a new truck. The turbo lag and dead go-pedal feel was gone. Shifting was crisp without hunting and hesitation.

Prior, my truck had the demeanor of a grumpy old man waking up. I had the Authorized Emissions Modification (AEM) and driving, especially when cold, required a lot of compensation.

It now drives like a peppy gasser right from a cold start. It’s responsive and fun (yes, I still enjoy driving for its own sake).

IMO the new ECM/TCM tune is good value and rewards more ‘bang-for-the-buck’ than any other performance mod I can think of. [emoji1303]

#28 ·
Can someone tell me how your oil looks after driving a while? I am wondering how much different the soot is in the oi versus stock and pre-compliant GDE. I have a related post over on the tuning section where I would like to see an oil analysis. Thanks
John
Just did my first oil change with the compliant tune sent for analysis. Will post when I get it back. The oil was definitely black. Haven’t seen it that black since before the the original tune. Still love the tune though. Trucks drives so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
FYI, received this from GDE today on the W58 recall:

Just a customer notification that FCA released new software on 2014-2018 ecodiesel vehicles 1 day ago. Wait one month before getting this recall completed if you can. The flash tool does not support the new software at this time and it will take the supplier a few weeks to have the tool functioning with it. Make sure to always flash back to stock before any dealer service or your tool will be trash. If you do get the recall completed now, the vehicle will be stock for some time and we want to avoid that nuisance in your life.

Thanks for the support

GDE

#29 ·
How many miles on your oil? Mine is starting to look pretty dark, after about 4k miles with my GDE compliant tune which was installed new at about 800 miles. Changed the oil at 2k miles, now have about 6k. But mine was a leftover 2019 so when I changed the oil it was a year old build date 10/19. And the factory oil was pretty dark when I drained it. Probably will run another 2k or so and change again when the weather gets better. No one ever had an issue that they changed oil too often. I am using T-6 and factory filter. I am lucky that I have a reliable and economic supply of Rotella oil at my disposal.

#41 ·
I have the GDE EPA Compliant tune as well. What exactly are the steps to swap back to the factory tune? I haven't tried yet, but I assume you plug in the tool, put vehicle into run mode, then what?

#42 · (Edited)
I have the GDE EPA Compliant tune as well. What exactly are the steps to swap back to the factory tune? I haven't tried yet, but I assume you plug in the tool, put vehicle into run mode, then what?
When you go into the device it should have both the original and GDE tunes. Select the OEM and re-flash. It will do the ECM, then the TCM.

Here are the GDE instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.