RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Guys,

Week old truck with 1200 Mils getting about 25MPG mixed driving. Issue I am experiencing some type of "bump" and/or "clunk" at slow speeds. Truck feels like I have load on back it up shift smooth but hunts trough gear’s going downhill. Also at stop and go traffic I hear clunk in cab kinda making me drive nuts. Down shift are little harsh and feels little slow. Also notice transmission temp little higher then middle mark even its 50’s outside thinking about taking it back to dealer to see what’s going on wanted to see if someone else having same issue or is this normal for this truck.

Thanks
Ravi

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is it clunky going back into 1st gear on the downshift? If so that is supposed to be normal for first 1000KM or so. The 8 speed is a learning transmission, and is adapting ot your driving style. Best way to get rid of it faster is to make sure you come to full stops - no drifting/stop and go. It is supposed to get better the more you drive it.

But if you are seeing it all over the map, that may not be normal. The people that have been posting (other forum) mention the issue - 2nd gear to 1st on the downshift - no issues shifting up. You are also right around the KM's its supposed to stop doing that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx all call the dealer today see if they can look at it i don;t like tacking new car to dealer as tech might miss something else up since it;s new.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This trans locks up the converter, and acts like a "Manual" most of the time. So... when it down shifts... especially from 2 to 1... there is a noticeable surge. Some have reported it as feeling like they are bumped from behind. BUT... the trans CAN shift all the way from 8th to 1st. When it skips gears... it's VERY noticeable. Also... the shift logic of this trans is more aggressive than most. So... the shifting, and hunting is normal. It will down-shift quick, and going down hill, the engine will rev to save the brakes.

Obviously, I'm not sitting in your truck... but I think a lot of the complaints on this trans are just the way it operates. (it's not "Slushy" like most of the USA made transmissions)

IF... there is a physical "Clunk" that can be heard... then there could be something wrong.

The perceived transmission "High temp" is also normal. Don't look at the position of the gauge (it doesn't have any real markings).... Look at the actual temp in the EVIC. Unlike a lot of transmissions... this one does not have a standard oil cooler. It has a heat exchanger, and the trans fluid will come up to (or close to) the same temp of the coolant. Since the coolant is at +200 Deg F... the trans runs right around the 190 F mark. (the engine oil cooler is the same way)

Reactions: LCR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I notice mine feels like someone is gently putting on the brakes when it down shifts into first.
I feel that to but also hear a clunk sometimes in stop and go traffic. going to dealer on Friday just to make sure they sad might be a update needed for the Transmission we'll see what happens
thanks
ravi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so now I'm starting to think i just got bad truck. yesterday i notice i'm getting some water thru grab handle on passenger side just my luck. lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
This trans locks up the converter, and acts like a "Manual" most of the time. So... when it down shifts... especially from 2 to 1... there is a noticeable surge. Some have reported it as feeling like they are bumped from behind. BUT... the trans CAN shift all the way from 8th to 1st. When it skips gears... it's VERY noticeable. Also... the shift logic of this trans is more aggressive than most. So... the shifting, and hunting is normal. It will down-shift quick, and going down hill, the engine will rev to save the brakes.

Obviously, I'm not sitting in your truck... but I think a lot of the complaints on this trans are just the way it operates. (it's not "Slushy" like most of the USA made transmissions)

IF... there is a physical "Clunk" that can be heard... then there could be something wrong.

The perceived transmission "High temp" is also normal. Don't look at the position of the gauge (it doesn't have any real markings).... Look at the actual temp in the EVIC. Unlike a lot of transmissions... this one does not have a standard oil cooler. It has a heat exchanger, and the trans fluid will come up to (or close to) the same temp of the coolant. Since the coolant is at +200 Deg F... the trans runs right around the 190 F mark. (the engine oil cooler is the same way)
The Promaster diesel is coming through with some type of manual/automatic transmission. It should be interesting....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here my update went to dealer they have no clue I was able to show them what I talking about after 4hrs later nothing now expt they did some sort PCM update ask the Tech if he check Tans fluid he said yes Because someone had hood open I told it doesn’t have dipshit he goes I didn’t know that @ this point I’m thinking these guys have no clue what’s going on with truck. I’m going to try going to different dealer to see if they figure something out. Oh and they can’t fix the water issue b/c it’s different guy that comes in to check for these and I have to get appointment to look @ that issue so until then I have no choice. I didn’t not see this coming from dealer they just not going to get my business again ever.
Thanks
Ravi

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
So you did a PCM (whatever that is) update and the clunk is gone.

I'm getting a rattle from somewhere under 40 mph. Stopped the truck today and adjusted a cooler in the bed. Nothing. Wife thinks I'm nuts as she hears and feels nothing. I say it's loud. We argue about who needs the "Miracle Ear".

Gonna listen more. Assume your noise is gone.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Some people have complained of the bump and some dealers have flashed the trans module with a "fast learn" program which takes care of the down shifting bump. It is the way these transmissions learn and as said earlier will go away with mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i feel still have issue but after PCM update it;s little better not sure its just me the way this truck shifts. planing on going to different dealer to have them looked at it but so far been busy with house and work.

thanks
ravi

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Ok. That's probably different than the deep tattling sound I hear at slower speeds. The transmission shifting is not a factor on my rattle.

Thanks for the clarity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts