RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From other posts, it seems that you should get a minimum of 33% off MSRP of Max Care Warranty. I have created a cheat sheet for the prices reflecting the adjusted prices. (Hope the MSWord document will attach.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Stupid me. Have no clue what your chart means.

How much does the warranty cost? Is that cost negotiable? After the basic warranty expires and this thing takes over, for how long? You show mileage numbers at the top but they are not much higher than the factory warranty numbers that are included.

Got me curious about what that all means. I did not get an additional warranty but heard there is one you can get after the first three years are up.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The standard warranty is a limited warranty. Max care covers more. Sometimes you can get a better deal on the same extended warranty (Max care) from a more aggressive online sales person at a Ram dealership.

I had one for my dmax. On the downside. Most consumer advocates say these warranties aren't worth the money. Expect that they will balk, argue, delay, push back, and claim they can't duplicate issues. There's always a chance the insurance is worthless upon bankruptcy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I understand, the Max Care warranty covers many of the same items as your basic 3/36000 warranty. It extends it to the time/mileage listed in the chart. This is unrelated to the powertrain warranty and provides no additional coverage, unless you pick the 120k mile option (possibly).

Yes, you are right. Most consumer advice is against extended warranties. It is really up to you as to how much risk you feel you need to mitigate. I was told on another thread that you only have until 12/12k to purchase the Max Care warranty from FCA, not 3/36k. I don't really know if that is true.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Got my paper work on my Maxcare 5/100000 mi. Warranty briefly read through it. It said it included 4 oil changes, if that includes the diesel that's worth near 500 dollars. I never bought a warranty in all the trucks I've bought and never needed it. When the finance guy started telling me about price I listened almost told him to forget it then he said something about it must be truck month because he said it cost 1191. Then he tells me if I get the warranty it lowers my interest rate enough to save me 350. So all in all the warranty cost me close to close to 350 dollars can't beat that I would have been stupid not to be open to that. So I have a Ram, a diesel, and warranty now. Something last year I was saying I'd never do.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We have a 2012 BigHorn on which we bought the extended warranty up to 120,000 miles. I forgot how much, but more than a couple grand. Has a $100 deductible.

We have had to use it a couple of times:

1. Idler pulley went bad. After $100 deductible, warranty paid about $40.

2. Speaker went bad. After $100 deductible, warranty paid about $20.

So, for us it was a bad deal. But only because the truck is so good! Since it's my wife's truck, I wanted to be sure it would be dependable and that it would get fixed correctly whenever it broke.

Of course, any vehicle can have problems at any time. But ours didn't, and we did get quite a bit of peace of mind by buying the extended warranty.

Would I do it again? Probably not since we now have an impeccable track record with our Ram.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep, insurance companies wouldn't offer extended warranties if they weren't profitable. The more numerous nickel and dime problems more than make up for the rare catastrophic problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts