RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Extended Warranty / Settlement

18K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Funky2me2 
#1 ·
Is it my understanding that the Extended Warranty in the settlement is for the emission components only? Powertrain is unaffected? I'm about to hit 4 years / 80k miles and will probably trade it in after the flash and the $3k check if that's the case. I can't take the chance.

#7 ·
Compare the emissions components warranty offered under the settlement to the standard warranty offered by FCA. More parts are covered and for a much longer period of time. Federally mandated warranty for emissions components is 2 years/24,000 miles. FCA extends this to 3 years/36,000 miles. There is an additional standard 8 years/80,000 miles for the powertrain control module, the oxidation catalyst/particulate filter assembly - 3.0L and the selective catalytic reduction catalyst assembly - 3.0L only. So the settlement warranty extends all of these to 10 years/100,000 miles. Seems like a good deal when combined with the 10 year/100,000 drive train warranty that is standard in the US.

Like my Wall Street Lawyer always tells me, read the documents, people.

Reactions: 97hmcs
#8 ·
Here's the list over covered components. It does include some powertrain parts.

Appendix A

Subject to standard limitations that must be identified to Eligible Owners and Eligible Lessees,
which may set forth exclusions like accident, abuse, neglect, or installation of non- certified
parts, and applicable existing warranty provisions that will remain in effect, the Extended
Warranty shall cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed below.

• Catalysts
o Diesel Oxidation Catalyst/Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly
o Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Catalyst

• Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System
o DEF Injector
o DEF Injector Controller
o DEF Storage Tank
o DEF Delivery Lines
o DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand
Cherokee only)
o DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit

• Parts of the Fuel System
o Low Pressure Fuel Pump Module & Level Unit
o Fuel Injectors
o Fuel Rail
o High Pressure Fuel Line
o High Pressure Injection Pump & Regulator Unit

• Parts of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
o EGR Cooler Tubes
o EGR Cooler
o EGR Valve
o EGR Temperature Sensor
o EGR Cooler bypass actuator

• Other Sensors That Are Covered
o Oxygen Sensors
o NOx Sensors
o Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor
o Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
o Fuel/Water Separator Sensor
o Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor
o Engine Camshaft Position Sensor
o Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor
o Particulate Matter Sensor
o Mass Airflow Sensor
o Boost Pressure Sensor
o Crankcase Pressure Sensor
o Exhaust Manifold Pressure Sensor
o Throttle Valve
o Exhaust Temperature Sensor
o DPF Differential Pressure Sensor

• Engine Control Module (Computer)

• Transmission Control Module (Computer)/Valve Body & Solenoids

• Throttle Valve

• Cylinder Head Assembly, including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve
Seats, Cam Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the
assembly are not covered)

• Engine Thermostat/housing/gasket

• The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators.

Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan for
malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether the
malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty.

#10 ·
I would have liked a buyback option like VW owners got. My truck is not worth keeping. Too many problems and dealer/RAM customer care are looking for ways to not cover warranted repairs. It's a multi-week battle EVERY time I go to the shop. Four times in the last 2 months and we have to go to court to get things settled. Had the issue I continually have happened less than 2 weeks earlier, my ED would be considered a Lemon by law. We're coming up on 10 times for the same issue.

#13 ·
So I had to pick up a vehicle out of state it was a 5 hour plus drive. I was excited to haul such a heavy load that far. UNTIL the cursed truck of mine came with a error light for service def system see dealer. Well no big deal i should be ok. Then a while later another message. Service Def system motor will not turn on in so many miles. Just great. So basically the truck ran for 12 hours straight. Until i was safe home and i could mess with things. The starter relay bypass trick works great just in case anyone is wondering. I wasnt sure as the video i seen was on a 14 and mine is a 16. So i still had to do a dump run the next day so i loaded it back up and used it again the next day. Now another message shows on top of it saying motor will not restart and also motor will not go over 5mph. However it never kept me under 5mph. Dealer finally had an opening today so the recalls and this DEF problem are being looked at. So from what i see on this warranty update i should be completely covered. Right? Dealer said he found a leak so far and they did the recalls already. The dealers are really clueless on the whole ecodiesel news. they had no idea what i was talking about. This only happens because i ordered new tires and wheel bearings and thought maybe the curse is behind me and the 3rd motor was built right.

#14 ·
Overall I wonder why extending the warranty is in scope. Does including the warranty extension represent an acknowledgement or a concern that the flash will result in an engine that is harder on the emissions system than it was before the mod? That's the message is sends to me. If that's not it, maybe it's just an attempt to give tuned drivers an incentive not to change back to tuned after the mod. Lastly perhaps it's just icing on the "cash cake" to encourage owners to get the flash update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.