RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I Have recently purchased a 2020 equal diesel rebel. So far have been very happy with the truck. With the covid 19 pricing they are offering an extended warranty for 2995.00 canadian. This will give me a full bumper to bumper Ward C for an additional 2 years and also up to a 100000 km. What is everybody's thoughts in regards to purchasing the extended warranty on these vehicles Normally I get rid of my vehicles at around a 120000 km. One of the service managers at the dealer that I purchased the truck from says these vehicles coming quite frequently with a number of problems. Also he told me they can get very expensive very quickly when these things are out of warranty and come in to have things repaired on them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So I Have recently purchased a 2020 equal diesel rebel. So far have been very happy with the truck. With the covid 19 pricing they are offering an extended warranty for 2995.00 canadian. This will give me a full bumper to bumper Ward C for an additional 2 years and also up to a 100000 km. What is everybody's thoughts in regards to purchasing the extended warranty on these vehicles Normally I get rid of my vehicles at around a 120000 km. One of the service managers at the dealer that I purchased the truck from says these vehicles coming quite frequently with a number of problems. Also he told me they can get very expensive very quickly when these things are out of warranty and come in to have things repaired on them.
Sales pitch is what you described. Putting that possible break in your head... Maybe not pressure sales, but planting the doubt. Why don't they stand by the truck, w/o trying to up sell you?

Yes, Ram seems plagued with too many gremlins. For you I'd take the time to read the fine print on that warranty. In my experience, the extension provides slight peace of mind. In most cases the extension doesn't cover what you'd expect. IE: (not specific items) Cruise Control button cluster, brake calipers, wheel bearings, window switches...

The price quoted isn't any real savings... The sales pitch makes you think they are taking $900 off. They can take off more, but that means the dealership is out money.

Most extended warranty begin after the manuf expires. Any power train parts, the manufacturer might (should) cover anyway.

Buy it if makes YOU feel better. Really, our opinion does not matter. It's all about how you feel.

Though, I'd take longer that the 15mins the dealership gives you to look at warranty options. I'm suggesting like a week, read, research, ask. See what other extended warranty companies are out there.

It's been sometime, but some extended warranties will give back a portion of what you paid... As long as you never used the warranty and after a couple of years. Applying for the refund is a pain, and most people forget.

I worked for a auto loan company - I should write some does and don't. How loans are generated, how your loan request is really checked - down to the color of the car.

IMHO, the extended warranty is a suckers bet. Again I do believe if buying it makes you feel better - then go for it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I always shy away from these contracts because they're rarely used. But, with the EcoDiesel I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford to. This engine will likely make that warranty pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
IMHO, the extended warranty is a suckers bet. Again I do believe if buying it makes you feel better - then go for it.
Sounds like someone who wasn't an early adopter of the EcoD. ;)

In the US they offer a money back Maxcare where if you dont use it you get the full purchase price back at the end of term if that makes you feel better. I had oe on my 15 but sold the truck before full term so now I have to deal with cancelling it for my $369 back, which is a fair price because it amounts to about 25% of what I paid and I was 70% through my warranty period.

On my new 2020 Limited, there is twice as much electronics as my '15 Laramie that I bought an 8/100000 for $2500US

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have max care on my 2018 for i believe 6yrs? 7yrs? or 120,000 miles. get it if you can, it's worth every penny for me at least. i have air suspension and the gen 2 engine. it's worth it just for the air ride which ironically is a major reason i got the ram.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts