RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
To go along with that, let's hear some canadian prices I got quoted 3700?! For 160km coverage! The Americans get that with the truck for free!! Yet another reason America is the best country in the world!

Reactions: Mtncat

·
Registered
396 Posts
Kind of hard to have pros or cons at this point. I did over pay for mine at first paying $2850 for 7/100k miles then I found one for $1690 so I called the dealer to cancel. He ended up matching the price so I kept it. Over a thousand cheaper, boy did I get taken the first time around.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got the Mopar max care 7/70 plan for $1030.Finance guy told me this was about half price,(their cost)I jumped on it as I only run about 10k/yr.Way less then I anticipated.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
who has bought the extended warranty on the diesel truck. Pros and cons
There is already an extended warranty discussion that may help.

As for pros and cons, it is well known that the majority of extended warranty buyers never break even. On the other hand, the EcoDiesel stirs up more than the usual uncertainty because of its uniqueness and complicated systems that have a limited track record. Are the risky systems covered by an extended warranty? The ones I looked at cover the engine, electronics and air suspension but not the emissions systems. However, some emissions parts may be covered by Ram through 80,000 miles depending on the state.

·
Registered
58 Posts
last Saturday I bought my EcoDiesel with the Maxcare unlimited miles plan for $2,561.00. I drive over 40,000 a year and rack up miles fast, so I thought this was reasonable. Monday the dealer called me and let me know that the Chrysler told him that they don't offer the Maxcare Unliminted for this engine package yet and that he could reimburse me or move me to an not so attractive package. I had him give me the $$ back none of the alternate plans went past 120K.

I guess I'll learn how these powertrains hold up in a few years, I sure hope it's close to my 6.9 in reliability.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tmorgan, that is 36% off of MSRP, per my other post on other thread mentioned above. I estimate that dealer cost is about 40-50% below MSRP, so yes, you got close to cost. I will be pushing for at least 33% off of MSRP.
One detail I left out is I will have to pay a $100 deductable per issue.Less deductable drove the cost up significantly.Actually what I am concerned about as much or more then the diesel is all of the electronics,since they are covered only for 3 yrs,compared to the drive trains 5 yrs/100k.I want to keep this truck for at least 7 yrs since I don't put on too many miles,and would rather have a warranty in place.The price for these warrantys seem like a bargain compared to what I've paid in the past with former Fords I've bought.In the end,I always got at least the warranty cost back with covered repairs with the Fords.I really hope in 7 yrs it turns out I just threw $1030 out the window with this new Ram.

·
Registered
189 Posts
last Saturday I bought my EcoDiesel with the Maxcare unlimited miles plan for $2,561.00. I drive over 40,000 a year and rack up miles fast, so I thought this was reasonable. Monday the dealer called me and let me know that the Chrysler told him that they don't offer the Maxcare Unliminted for this engine package yet and that he could reimburse me or move me to an not so attractive package. I had him give me the $$ back none of the alternate plans went past 120K.

I guess I'll learn how these powertrains hold up in a few years, I sure hope it's close to my 6.9 in reliability.
Wow,thats alot of miles.You will be a good test for the reliability of this power train and I'm sure you will keep us posted.
ps.-I Like your dog.I've got one like it that has taken up residencey in the back seat area of my Ram.He's getting older and was the main reason for getting the air ride for the exit/entry mode.I may even have to use it one day to get in.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Your main concern should be the emission related parts failing (trust me they will fail). The emission warranty is only 3yr/36. You will be out of emission coverage within your first year based on your annual mileage.

I would purchase the 5yr/120k Chrysler extended warranty which will cover you for the first three years of ownership based on your annual miles.

I have experience with the VM I4 engines with the same emission set-up. One failure will pay for the warranty. Purchase the extended warranty and thank me later.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Here in canada, we get 7yrs or 160km (100K miles) from the factory automatically, I believe it's a law? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

For emission control systems (exhaust systems)

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is the US info from Rams website:

5. Emission Warranties Required By Law
5.1 Federal Emission Warranty
A. Parts Covered for 2 Years or 24,000 Miles
Federal law requires Chrysler Group LLC (ﰀChryslerﰀ) to warrant the following emissions parts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Chrysler covers all of these parts under the Basic Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Ram 1500 — Gas
• Air system controls
• distributor and its components
• electronic fuel injection system, including injector
• evaporative-emission canister and controls
• exhaust manifold
• exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system
• exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and cata- lyst)
• fuel cap and tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines • ignition coil and ignition module
• intake manifold
• on-board diagnostic-system components
• oxygen sensors
• positive crankcase-ventilation (PCV) valve or orifice • secondary ignition wires
• spark plugs
• throttle body
• transmission-control module
• vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components
• vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these compo- nents and systems
Ram 1500 — Diesel
• Charge air cooler
• crankcase ventilation system
• oxidation catalyst/particulate filter assembly
• electronic fuel injection system, including injectors
• exhaust gas recirculation valve & control system • exhaust manifold
• fuel cap & tank assembly, pump, & fuel lines
• glow plugs
• intake manifold
• mass air flow sensor
• nitrous oxide sensors
• on-board diagnostic-system components
• oxygen sensors
• particulate matter sensor
• powertrain control module
• selective catalytic reduction catalyst assembly
• throttle body
• transmission control module
• turbocharger
• urea (DEF) tank & control system
• vacuum hoses, clamps, & fittings, as well as tubing used for these components
• vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time sensitive valves, sensors, & switches used in these components

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow,thats alot of miles.You will be a good test for the reliability of this power train and I'm sure you will keep us posted.
ps.-I Like your dog.I've got one like it that has taken up residencey in the back seat area of my Ram.He's getting older and was the main reason for getting the air ride for the exit/entry mode.I may even have to use it one day to get in.
TMorgan - - thanks on the dog, she's a few years older now but this is one of my favorite pictures of her. We have 3 dogs and I put a nice ARE cap on my trucks so they can leave the dirt back there, only my wife's spoiled jack gets to ride in the front (he thinks he's human)

I will post and keep everyone up to date with any problems, I'm also thinking about what Ram964 said about the warranty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your main concern should be the emission related parts failing (trust me they will fail). The emission warranty is only 3yr/36. You will be out of emission coverage within your first year based on your annual mileage.

I would purchase the 5yr/120k Chrysler extended warranty which will cover you for the first three years of ownership based on your annual miles.

I have experience with the VM I4 engines with the same emission set-up. One failure will pay for the warranty. Purchase the extended warranty and thank me later.
Ram964 - I have to admit you have me thinking on the warranty, I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and check with them and discuss $$.

I'm curious with your experience regarding this engine, good or bad I would like to know what to look out for.

Also - - I sell industrial welding stuff for a living and ironically the largest part of my business is exhaust component manufacturing. The OEM are spending big money meeting emissions and every year things change a little, I literally spend 3/4 of my time helping my customers keep up. To meet federal standards the manufactures have the get the emissions up to heat as fast as possible so everything is crammed up into the engine compartment so it's as close to the exhaust ports as possible, plus the big push for 2014-15 is the material is getting thinner for weight savings and they are increasing the aluminizing on the base metals both items increases the difficulty of the weld.

Enough rambling, thanks for your input on the warranty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ram964 - I have to admit you have me thinking on the warranty, I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and check with them and discuss $$.

I'm curious with your experience regarding this engine, good or bad I would like to know what to look out for.
Dosing valves (due to extended idle times), DEF tank level sensors, temp sensors, & NOx sensors, etc.. I purchased the 5yr/100K warranty. I run around 20K a year so I will be covered for five years.

Most assume they are covered for more than 3yrs/36 because it is emission related equipment which is not the case. Based on your annual mileage, you will be covered for at least 3yrs. under the 120K extended warranty. If this platform is a disaster, you can bail after three years without writing a check.

My experience is limited to around 50-70k miles on my VM I4 engines which consist of highway miles. My VM I4 fleet is commercial and the factory warranty is 5yr/175k. All of the repairs have been on the manufactures dime. Time will tell but I would cover your rump just in case.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Here in canada, we get 7yrs or 160km (100K miles) from the factory automatically, I believe it's a law? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

For emission control systems (exhaust systems)
likely 100k km not miles......for what ever reason they screwed us out of 60kkm of warranty in Canada.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Has anyone dealt with 3rd party warranty packages (insurance)? Does anyone know if they are available in Canada?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts