RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck is making this extremely annoying squeal almost constantly. It's not the regular beautiful sound of the turbo spooling, this is harsh & irritating, it sounds like squealing tires. The truck has been making this noise for a couple years, but it used to be extremely rare, I used to be able to hear it in really really cold weather going up a mountain on the highway if i rolled on the throttle heavy. Then I started hearing it now and then towing my Travel Trailer, and every time I've towed the trailer it's gotten worse. This past weekend it became pretty much constant, accelerating, engine braking, cruising on level ground, it just screams.

I thought it had to do with the Mopar OEM air filter i bought, the glue that keeps the pleats in line didn't go all the way to the edges so a few pleats were free to move around, I thought maybe i was getting a Kazoo effect, but i tried a different filter today with the same results. I can even hear the noise now driving normally with no trailer, it's not as loud but it's still there and still very irritating. My wife and i have our annual trip with the toy hauler to West Virginia next friday, and i'm hoping to have this solved before then, or my wife may lose her mind on the 10 hour drive. Any help would be appreciated, i'll try to post a video of the sound as soon as i can.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I don't have a video of my truck, but this video is exactly what my truck sounds like:

I also noticed it'll make this noise while engine braking.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
How many miles are on your truck?

Is it still under warranty?

Take it to the dealer for a noise like that if its still under warranty.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles are on your truck?

Is it still under warranty?

Take it to the dealer for a noise like that if its still under warranty.
Yea it's still under warranty, it's only got 64,000 on it. Gonna reach out to the dealer as soon as i get out of work.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, truck runs fine, hits boost fine, but when the turbo generates any sort of boost it sounds like a siren. My buddys father had a Turbo fail on his 2012 Powerchoke and he said it ran fine but sounded awful until all the sudden one day it just catastrophically failed and the truck was taken to a shop on a flatbed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if the bearings are toast it will continue to make boost until it implodes
Yea, it looks like the wife and I are going to have to cancel out trip to WV. Called 3 different dealers, the soonest anyone can give us an appointment is Monday the 9th, and I highly doubt they'd be able to go through the process of getting the repair approved by mopar, getting the turbo shipped in, and pull the cab and install the new turbo before friday the 13th.

·
Administrator
8,950 Posts
Yea, it looks like the wife and I are going to have to cancel out trip to WV. Called 3 different dealers, the soonest anyone can give us an appointment is Monday the 9th, and I highly doubt they'd be able to go through the process of getting the repair approved by mopar, getting the turbo shipped in, and pull the cab and install the new turbo before friday the 13th.
Maybe you can get a loaner? It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Maybe you can get a loaner? It never hurts to ask.
Might be able to get a loaner, but IIRC the company they use has a strict no towing with their vehicles policy, and I don't know if I'd be comfortable trying to tow our toy hauler with a rental.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i found another post by forum member Davef where he has the exact same noise, no explanation or solution was posted:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Wonder what happened to DaveF and if he ever changed his fuel filter?

I would take it in and raise a stink to get a loaner.... I would also run the rental like a borrowed mule.

·
Registered
265 Posts
check the flange between the dpf and scr, one of the bolts will break and the flange will separate. I had this problem last year and they replaced the turbo, while reinstalling the cab they found the broken bolt on the floor and then found the loose flange.

Mine broke on the inboard side of the flange so it directed the exhaust right at the side of the trans and it left a black mark on the trans. If yours is the same, it may be a quick way to diagnose the issue

Reactions: UHBrandt

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check the flange between the dpf and scr, one of the bolts will break and the flange will separate. I had this problem last year and they replaced the turbo, while reinstalling the cab they found the broken bolt on the floor and then found the loose flange.

Mine broke on the inboard side of the flange so it directed the exhaust right at the side of the trans and it left a black mark on the trans. If yours is the same, it may be a quick way to diagnose the issue
So you had the same noise and the dealer misdiagnosed it as a bad turbo, then discovered the broken exhaust bolt while finishing up the turbo swap?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I thought our turbos have sleeve bearings and if that is correct, I highly doubt the sound you are getting is a bearing failure of the turbo. In my experience sleeve bearings don't make that kind of noise. bticbw.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So you had the same noise and the dealer misdiagnosed it as a bad turbo, then discovered the broken exhaust bolt while finishing up the turbo swap?
YEP. I was a little disappointed after all that work to find out that it wasn't necessary, but it was all under warranty so it didn't hurt the pocket-book. I can't guarantee that yours will be the same bolt, or even the same problem, but it's where I would look first. You may even have evidence like I had in the picture below which would be a dead give-away.

busted flange.png

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks ajb, crawled under the truck on lunch today and guess what i found:

Dropping it off at the dealer tonight and they should be covering this under the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dang, what a find!

That right there is the value of forums like this one - potentially saving hundreds of dollars for those with the same problem that isn't under warranty.

Bob

Reactions: JD915 and g00fy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Glad it worked out for you! Enjoy the sounds of silence once it's back together

Reactions: JD915 and g00fy
1 - 20 of 35 Posts