RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So who wants to place bets on whether the dealer fixes the problem under warranty without any BS, or if they're going to try to tell me the nuts and bolts aren't covered and attempt to charge me. I expect to be hearing back on the truck by late morning tomorrow.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dont know if you have the AEM, but if you do it should be covered by the AEM warranty

·
Registered
610 Posts
So who wants to place bets on whether the dealer fixes the problem under warranty without any BS, or if they're going to try to tell me the nuts and bolts aren't covered and attempt to charge me. I expect to be hearing back on the truck by late morning tomorrow.
Well hopefully its covered.. If not just cut the old bolts off and drill for new ones. Use high quality nuts and bolts and new gasket.. Problem fixed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dont know if you have the AEM, but if you do it should be covered by the AEM warranty
Yes I have the Aem, so in theory it should most certainly be covered, but you know how some dealers can be, they'll make you fight for everything.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, they did the repair under warranty, it looks like they just picked up some stainless hardware from home depot. Truck is nice and quiet again, but on the downside it's now easier to hear the phantom clunk / rattle from my 4wd system.

·
Registered
265 Posts
glad to hear it worked out. now as for the clunk ... turn up the radio :)

Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, my 2016 ram crew cab limited Ecodiesel has been at the dealer for repair for 3 weeks!

load turbo spool up noise as illustrated in videos in this blog. Symptoms were initially intermittent. Vehicle performed fine, but noise/whistling/ turbo spoolup under load, loudest around 2700 rpm.

Left truck with one dealership for a full day; told nothing wrong!

second dealership close to home told me turbo needs to be replaced.

I purchased Mopar maximum care plan from dealer with original new car purchase.

I was told by dealer that repairs would be covered by my extended Ecodiesel warranty from Ecodiesel settlement and by my max car Mopar warranty. Not to worry about cost.

Then told “ additional repairs including replacement of exhaust flange ( same as pictures included above), and additional hardware, oil change and filters needed for repair would however be billed to me for about $670. !!!!! Not covered by warranty or service plan?
How is it the above repairs and flange replacements were warranty issues for the repairs listed above but I am goining to be charged?

My max car Mopar service plan has a $100.00 deductible.

Am I at the wrong dealer?
What dealerships replaced the flange under warranty?

still waiting for my truck, dealer says all parts are now in, but needs final warranty/Star approval before starting repair!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Photos of my 2016 Ecodiesel flange that my dealer says is not warranty covered?

Looks familiar to the pictures of covered repairs above doesn’t it

·
Registered
16 Laramie ecodiesel
46 Posts
Mine does it too. No warranty on mine and couldn't recreate it for dealer. Has anyone else found anything else out on this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
YEP. I was a little disappointed after all that work to find out that it wasn't necessary, but it was all under warranty so it didn't hurt the pocket-book. I can't guarantee that yours will be the same bolt, or even the same problem, but it's where I would look first. You may even have evidence like I had in the picture below which would be a dead give-away.

View attachment 82306
Very common problem. Happened to me as well.

It is also a relatively easy fix for a DIY project if the warranty is expired. Just a lot of drill bits to drill out the studs and a few bucks for high grade through bolts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heard this same noise recently on my 2016 ram ecodiesel crew and shortly after started getting a engine light and warning to bring to dealer and engine wouldnt restart after a few hundred kilometers. On my own inspection I discovered the def line for the exhaust system injector was disconnected so I reconnected it and was good for a bit. Though it kept disconnecting but I also noticed the same whine sound described here when under load and this is the problem that brought me here to this forum. Then I realized the injector is 2 inches away from this flange and things now made sense. When checking all bolts appeared to be present at least until tapped on it and it fell off. Sure enough it was the bolt on the side facing the injector and hose. So this issue can also result in DEF system problems. Thanks to everyone here in helping me locate my issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I
Heard this same noise recently on my 2016 ram ecodiesel crew and shortly after started getting a engine light and warning to bring to dealer and engine wouldnt restart after a few hundred kilometers. On my own inspection I discovered the def line for the exhaust system injector was disconnected so I reconnected it and was good for a bit. Though it kept disconnecting but I also noticed the same whine sound described here when under load and this is the problem that brought me here to this forum. Then I realized the injector is 2 inches away from this flange and things now made sense. When checking all bolts appeared to be present at least until tapped on it and it fell off. Sure enough it was the bolt on the side facing the injector and hose. So this issue can also result in DEF system problems. Thanks to everyone here in helping me locate my issue.
I certainly know what you are talking about. I spent 14 months thinking I had a turbo issue or a boost leak. In the end the flange gap opened up enough and the DEF injector finally melted because of the exhast gases escaping from the flange - the penny dropped and the problem was solved. I drilled out the studs, installed high quality through bolts and added a new flange gasket. The titanium spring form gasket acts like a reed in a wind instrument - hence that annoying squeal at certain speeds, loads and rpms.

·
Registered
16 Laramie ecodiesel
46 Posts
Wow felt like I was reading my own comment. I just had a flange go bad and couldn't figure it out till it was too late. Melted the def sensor and or injector. They wanted a grand to replace it all. I just deleted it all saturday. No more cel or exhaust noise. Wish I saw your response sooner.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts