RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Empty cars on flat terrain equals very little rolling resistance. It only takes half a degree maybe less for them to roll on there own. Hump yards use gravity to move them and retarders to slow them.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
Whats next? Ram pulling moon from the universe??
When Cummins does an electric power train I'll expect to see this...lol

The question with electric trucks isn't how much they can pull but how long can you keep pulling the load? If the truck has nominal range of 300 miles and your down to about half on the DTE, what's going to happen if you have to climb a grade? Then since the battery pack and cooling system is going to be warm, how long is it going to take to recharge?

I think the next evolutionary leap for trucks will be gas, diesel or hydrogen over electric, just like a train.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Empty cars on flat terrain equals very little rolling resistance. It only takes half a degree maybe less for them to roll on there own. Hump yards use gravity to move them and retarders to slow them.
I worked 26 years in yard service before going to road service ,
even a windy day will move those trideck cars , so it looks impressive but it is not.
bulkhead cars can reach 10 mph with wind in yards ==> hand brake time .( we called them sail boats )
Why wind socks at switch yards? that's one reason , in addition to possible chemical leak , and direction used to move away.
.... .Why wind socks at switch yards? - Trains Magazine - Trains News Wire, Railroad News, Railroad Industry News, Web Cams, and Forms

Attachments

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Did not seem to m=be much stretch in that little strap used to get things started. In fact, that strap actually looked to get slack during the initial pull.

OK, like the Toyota pulling the Space Shuttle, it is going. Now, how do you stop it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Capt only a wise man think about stopping. Most of them just see pulling power in truck market nowdays.. Reason why we see alot of these BS adds.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

The question with electric trucks isn't how much they can pull but how long can you keep pulling the load? If the truck has nominal range of 300 miles and your down to about half on the DTE, what's going to happen if you have to climb a grade? Then since the battery pack and cooling system is going to be warm, how long is it going to take to recharge?

I think the next evolutionary leap for trucks will be gas, diesel or hydrogen over electric, just like a train.
For trains the big reason for diesel electric is the torque it takes for a long time to get the load moving. Clutches or torque converters are either not viable or too darn inefficient to do this. Diesel electric eliminates the transmission and capitalizes on the near infinite torque that an electric motor produces at locked rotor/low speed while the diesel engine can be at maximum rpm and hp production so it is all available to get the load going. On a truck it seems to me the lost efficiency of making the conversion from internal combustion to electric is not needed and internal combustion and a manual or modern auto transmission is more efficient. If the vehicle is a hybrid the equation can change, especially if the vast majority of the driving is done on battery power and the IC engine is just emergency get home power.

bticbw.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats next? Ram pulling moon from the universe??

For me electric is not the way to go in trucks.. Maybe hybrid diesels will be better option and very effecient. If we can get a 30mpg in ecodiesel equipped truck.. I am sure getting to 40mpgs is not a big deal with a hybrid. And you dont risk running out of charge with a hybrid in middle of no where.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts