RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted a few weeks ago about my fan going crazy, my coolant being low and obviously having a leak. (well obvious to you guys) Made an appt to have to looked at in dealership in Monroe, WA near Seattle because I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest RAM dealer did not have level 3 techs and had seen very few EDs when I used them a year ago.

BUT, it is 99 degrees here right now so I took my chances and took it to Wenatchee - dropped it off for the warranty work and oil change. They now have multiple level 3 techs - yay.

WELL! 2 weeks later, they are still waiting for parts. It turns out that my head gaskets failed, so they have to remove the engine, tear it down, remove the gaskets, send the cylinder heads to a machine shop who will inspect them and shave them down and see if they are too pitted to reuse, and then the head gaskets need to be ordered to that exact thickness to make up the difference.

Is this a common problem? Does this happen right before your engine blows up?

They service guy told me he has seen 3-4 EDs with engine failures and issues right about at 35-40K miles, I'm at 39K.

Should I sell this thing? I have an extended warranty and I love my truck but I really don't want to start paying out of pocket for this stuff. Would anyone buy it? I have no desire to go truck shopping again.

Also replacing the bedrails AGAIN, plus all the park sensors have been replaced and they will be replacing another one this time.

I'm driving around in a Jeep Cherokee loaner car and I can't fit my kayak in it and it's HOT! How long do you think I will wait for this truck?

Thanks. Bummed. : (

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, its a 2015 Laramie Longhorn ED with 39K miles. Super pretty truck and has always performed well for me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
So I posted a few weeks ago about my fan going crazy, my coolant being low and obviously having a leak. (well obvious to you guys) Made an appt to have to looked at in dealership in Monroe, WA near Seattle because I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest RAM dealer did not have level 3 techs and had seen very few EDs when I used them a year ago.

BUT, it is 99 degrees here right now so I took my chances and took it to Wenatchee - dropped it off for the warranty work and oil change. They now have multiple level 3 techs - yay.

WELL! 2 weeks later, they are still waiting for parts. It turns out that my head gaskets failed, so they have to remove the engine, tear it down, remove the gaskets, send the cylinder heads to a machine shop who will inspect them and shave them down and see if they are too pitted to reuse, and then the head gaskets need to be ordered to that exact thickness to make up the difference.

Is this a common problem? Does this happen right before your engine blows up?

They service guy told me he has seen 3-4 EDs with engine failures and issues right about at 35-40K miles, I'm at 39K.

Should I sell this thing? I have an extended warranty and I love my truck but I really don't want to start paying out of pocket for this stuff. Would anyone buy it? I have no desire to go truck shopping again.

Also replacing the bedrails AGAIN, plus all the park sensors have been replaced and they will be replacing another one this time.

I'm driving around in a Jeep Cherokee loaner car and I can't fit my kayak in it and it's HOT! How long do you think I will wait for this truck?

Thanks. Bummed. : (
I would work with the dealer to get a new motor and possibly new exhaust dpf scr

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Head gasket failure is not common on these trucks.
True , but it is what Vern warned about in his thread about the bottle going down to a certain level
and stopping there , then the level keeps going down in the rad and engine , causing water pump failure and head gasket
failure .
it is talked about tin the first post in this thread : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html
it is what finally killed his first engine at + 370,000 milees

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
True , but it is what Vern warned about in his thread about the bottle going down to a certain level
and stopping there , then the level keeps going down in the rad and engine , causing water pump failure and head gasket
failure .
it is talked about tin the first post in this thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html
That is definitely true I’ve tested that myself but with the conditions her truck got used for during that time span I don’t believe head gasket failure. It’s more likely misdiagnosed. Hopefully they decide to replace it with a dressed engine since they come complete.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sorry about the truck, Hope they get you fixed. In the meantime , ask them to put some cross bars on the roof rails of the Cherokee , and then you can use your Kayak at least ! lol

Reactions: primaldiva

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
That is definitely true I’ve tested that myself but with the conditions her truck got used for during that time span I don’t believe head gasket failure. It’s more likely misdiagnosed. Hopefully they decide to replace it with a dressed engine since they come complete.
Diva...

Its unlikely your head gaskets are the cause of the coolant loss. You likely have a small leak someplace else that caused your heads and gaskets to overheat and fail.

I advise you to make sure that these guys understand they need to check your egr cooler, radiator, coolant reservoir and trans cooling lines. A simple pressure test wont find it. They have to test hot and cold.

Also, when you get the truck back you HAVE to watch your coolant level. Overheating will land you right back in the shop for teardown number 2. I expect the level will drop a little. You will have to top it up once or twice as air bleeds out of the system. After a few weeks mark your coolant level and check it daily or every other to confirm the issue is truly resolved.

If its losing coolant get it back to them asap and make them annotate your files.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diva...

Its unlikely your head gaskets are the cause of the coolant loss. You likely have a small leak someplace else that caused your heads and gaskets to overheat and fail.

I advise you to make sure that these guys understand they need to check your egr cooler, radiator, coolant reservoir and trans cooling lines. A simple pressure test wont find it. They have to test hot and cold.

Also, when you get the truck back you HAVE to watch your coolant level. Overheating will land you right back in the shop for teardown number 2. I expect the level will drop a little. You will have to top it up once or twice as air bleeds out of the system. After a few weeks mark your coolant level and check it daily or every other to confirm the issue is truly resolved.

If its losing coolant get it back to them asap and make them annotate your files.
OK I will call them today and speak with them. Great advice. A rancher friend of mind in Oregon has several friends that have these trucks and although there have been a few with problems most have loved them and he agrees with the thoughts here that is is likely not the head gaskets. He thinks I should push for new motor and emission system like was suggested earlier. I guess first steps are getting everything properly vetted and then keeping an eye on it to create a "paper trail" as was suggested. I did finally receive the correct coolant that I ordered, and I will travel with distilled water when I get it back. Temps are 102 here today. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
failure .
it is talked about tin the first post in this thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html
It makes no sense to me that the engine can be low on coolant if the coolant in the bottle is above the outlet when the truck is cold. Any air in the system will contract as it cools as will the coolant in the system and it will suck it out of the bottle to fill the truck. If the bottle barely has coolant in it when it is hot then it is possible because it is likely dry when it is cold. Also, I would only add the appropriate diluted coolant to the tank. Adding distilled water will reduce your anti corrosion and freezing protection. Now if it is empty when cold I would add distilled water if that is all you have. If you add a half gallon or gallon to the tank and much of that is sucked into the block to fill it up then there is a leak problem for sure.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
It makes no sense to me that the engine can be low on coolant if the coolant in the bottle is above the outlet when the truck is cold. Any air in the system will contract as it cools as will the coolant in the system and it will suck it out of the bottle to fill the truck. If the bottle barely has coolant in it when it is hot then it is possible because it is likely dry when it is cold. Also, I would only add the appropriate diluted coolant to the tank. Adding distilled water will reduce your anti corrosion and freezing protection. Now if it is empty when cold I would add distilled water if that is all you have. If you add a half gallon or gallon to the tank and much of that is sucked into the block to fill it up then there is a leak problem for sure.
The coolant reservoir is baffled internally it well hold about 1/2 inch to an inch of coolant even with the cooling system fully drained.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
The coolant reservoir is baffled internally it well hold about 1/2 inch to an inch of coolant even with the cooling system fully drained.
Can't argue with that but it has to be empty enough for the top of the fluid on the outlet side of the baffle for the level to drop below the top of the internal ID of the outlet fitting. I haven't looked closely at the tank but they should have had holes at the bottom of the baffles cast in when it was made to ensure the full amount was available. Anyhow, your point is valid and it means a glance at the level isn't enough if it is significantly below the cold fill line.

Thanks for posting, good info

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: They have now had my truck for 3 weeks and have not started the work. Service rep said they have not even started, it is sitting in the back, and there is a fire over the ridge from me 4 miles away and if the wind changes and it heads my way I cannot pull my trailer with this Jeep Cherokee loaner if we get evacuated so I am not happy.

He said they have 2 EDs in the shop right now with the same "problem" of leaking head gasket. Neither has been torn down yet, they are using the diagnostic where there is gas in the combustion chamber and if the fluid turns blue there is a leak and it was indicating "possible" head gaskets in both cases. (Don't ask me) I told him that the suggestion was made here that once the tech tore down the engine he would likely find some other cause. I have a call in to the Service Manager for tomorrow AM to find out what the hold up is and if I can switch out the jeep for a pickup. If I am going to drive a gas guzzler that cannot pull my 28 foot trailer at least I can get something that can hold a kayak and some stuff if I have to evacuate. Will keep you posted. I'm irritated. He seemed to indicate there was a possibility I might be getting a new engine, which takes weeks of back and forth, inspections, pictures, documentation, so I no idea what the outcome will be yet. Thanks all. andrea

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That test they did to confirm the head gaskets means you probably have a failed egr cooler allowing exhaust gases into the cooling system. Sounds like there tech needs more training I would strongly suggest they do something different especially since it’s been three weeks that’s ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
That test they did to confirm the head gaskets means you probably have a failed egr cooler allowing exhaust gases into the cooling system. Sounds like there tech needs more training I would strongly suggest they do something different especially since it’s been three weeks that’s ridiculous.
Correctamundo... That test could indicate either heads or egr cooler.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sigh. I live in Leavenworth, WA, well actually Plain, which is a small rural community 2 hours West of civilization (Seattle area). I stopped going to the closest RAM dealership which was an hour East in the agricultural town of about 65K in the desert (Wenatchee), because although they were nice they had zero sense of urgency and did not seem to know what they were doing (and that's coming from ME!) so I started schlepping it over the Cascades to Monroe which is a 2 hour drive back towards civilization. I got pissed when I would kill myself to drive 2 hours to get there and they would make me then go to enterprise to get a rental car instead of giving me a loaner (this is part of my warranty) plus they were constantly trying to rip me off (you guys helped with figuring that out) so when this last leak happened I ended up taking it to the closer place so as not to risk the trip over the mountains. They supposedly have level 3 techs there now but clearly, they are still pretty clueless. I will call them now, hopefully they have had their coffee this morning. Jesus! I am very worried about having to evacuate without my truck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave smith motors is one of the largest fca dealerships in the country they are east of you in kellog Idaho. Might have better luck with them instead.
I'm sure I would, but they are 4 hours and 40 minutes away and I have not had a day off all summer! I talked to Wenatchee today they only have one tech who knows EDs and he has been in school and working on 2 other trucks, I was the third, supposed to start today, blah blah blah. I'm calling them every day now.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well good luck.. Sounds like you are getting the runaround. They will take on other jobs as they come in , and work on your "Warranty" work on the side burner. They do want to get you out of their free loaner though , so I am sure if you stay on them they will get to it.

In the future , call whatever dealer you would like to go to , and explain you have a truck that needs warranty work , and that you would be willing to bring it to them if they can provide a loaner vehicle free of charge. A lot of the times , you need to make them "earn the work" before they will give you anything. If they know you drove two hours and showed up without asking first , they know you will pay for the rental as well.... They kinda have you by that point.

Just a friendly suggestion for next time.. Again good luck !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well good luck.. Sounds like you are getting the runaround. They will take on other jobs as they come in , and work on your "Warranty" work on the side burner. They do want to get you out of their free loaner though , so I am sure if you stay on them they will get to it.

In the future , call whatever dealer you would like to go to , and explain you have a truck that needs warranty work , and that you would be willing to bring it to them if they can provide a loaner vehicle free of charge. A lot of the times , you need to make them "earn the work" before they will give you anything. If they know you drove two hours and showed up without asking first , they know you will pay for the rental as well.... They kinda have you by that point.

Just a friendly suggestion for next time.. Again good luck !
I appreciate any suggetions.

Last time I took it to Monroe I had appts in Seattle and when they told me I had to go to enterprise to pick up a rental I got back on my truck and drove away and I have not been back. I told them next time they should save one of their loaners for the person who drove 2 hours and make the appt 2 weeks in advance. I miss the East Coast: just way more competition, you get better service.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts