RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would update for those interested...my 305/55/20E on LH gold insert OEM wheels just passed 50k and remain 12/32 (18/32 new). They are 10 ply and warrantied to 55k however at this pace they will hit 100k running 58 cold psi in summer and 62 cold psi in winter; 65max cold psi.

The OEM size does have an 8 ply that I saw on another 1500 last month and looked great. I lost 2mpg overall (3 on hwy over 75) and may go with the OEM size if the tires outlast the bearings :cool:.

Have had many ATs over the years...G2s on my X now and AT3W are FAR superior to any other tire I have run. Defenders only lasted 64k and DT gave me warranty $$$ for the AT3Ws.

Best mud, clay, swamp tire I have owned and has the 'snowflake' on the sidewall...doubt will need it here in goofy FL...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks, Doc. Always good to have some real world experience and numbers to put up against manufacturer's claims. I'll consider these treads in OEM size when its time to re-shoe the baby.

·
Registered
714 Posts
While my SRA's still look good at 34,000 miles, I'm looking for something better. And the snowflake, yup, could use here. It's snowing again today! 6" yesterday. SRA's give great mpgs, pretty weak in all of our Global Warming that we seem to get from October to May. Curious how big a hit on mpg's you took with the Falkens?

·
Registered
853 Posts
While my SRA's still look good at 34,000 miles, I'm looking for something better. And the snowflake, yup, could use here. It's snowing again today! 6" yesterday. SRA's give great mpgs, pretty weak in all of our Global Warming that we seem to get from October to May. Curious how big a hit on mpg's you took with the Falkens?
I had the Wildpeak AT3W s on for about 15 months and had to replace them a couple months ago because they were too worn for our winters. Great tire, moderate road noise and didn't hurt mileage too bad. Not in stock when I was buying so I switched to Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. Great tire too and a little quieter, smoother but great traction. A little cheaper than the Wildpeaks too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also have Falken ATW3 35" X 12.5 X 20 10 ply 60K warranty with 10k on them. 18/32 (20/32 New). I have seen only 2 mpg hit. These tires are amazing in the snow, slush, rain. I run 42 psi on the front and 38 psi in the rear.

These are the only tires my truck will ever have on..

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
305/55/20 = 33/12.5/20. Lost 2mpg overall...still have lifetime MPG of 26.2 after 182,000 miles so I can live with it. Overall range average went from 650 to 580.

The fella who had the OEM sized AT3Ws on his 1500 said he did not lose any MPG...not sure I would expect the AT tread to = SRA or Defenders.

Most fascinating MPG argument of all being my ED averages $0.092 per mile to run..my previous 2014 300s v-6 was $0.093 per mile also on fuelly.

·
Registered
714 Posts
shawclan5, just factoring the 33" vs 35" diameter, mpg should be about 94% if no speedo correction. 94% of 30 mpg= 28 . Even 2 less mpg, uncorrected speedo/odo would be awesome!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Getting ready to order 4 new tires, as my rears are getting scary. I let a buddy try out my Ram and he wanted to see if it would do a burn out, oh yea, it would. So, looking hard at the regular Falken WP A/T 3's , not LT'S. Stumbled on these Falken (H/T) all season LT's for $139.31 . Heavy as hell, though, but look like good rain tires. These were on Amazon, btw.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts