RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more BC-specific, however Garcha Law in Burnaby, BC has started a class action against FCA for knowingly selling 2nd gen ecodiesels with a flawed and dangerous EGR system. This will be extending to Ontario and Quebec as well. I’ve been added. They wanted my recall notice, sales agreement and any contact with the dealer concerning the recall. I’m not sure if it will speak to the inability to remedy the issue currently (no parts). The firms email address is [email protected]

I don’t know what to expect (if anything) but it doesn’t hurt to be added. I’m happy with my ‘19 Classic but sure as shit FCA sold me that truck in August ‘19 knowing very well it had a flawed EGR that could cause a fire. And now, they can’t fulfill the recall making it hard to sell if I wanted to.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your 2019 is part of the EGR Cooler Recall, I own a 2019 ecodiesel and the Recall was done by the dealer before I bought the truck from them. If this attorney is just now starting a lawsuit than he/she is way behind the curve as the recall has already been issued for the EGR.

The issue with the EGR is in time the EGR cooler could develop stress cracks from heat and cause it to leak vapors that could ignite and cause an engine fire. A new EGR cooler was designed and the recall will replace it free of charge to you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know that I am part of the recall, that isn’t the issue. The issue is that FCA knew the cooler’s were defective and continued to sell the trucks to consumers regardless. And secondly, they issued the recall but don’t have the parts to fix it. I got my recall a year ago and the dealer still doesn’t have the parts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can you show where you have suffered harm?

The EGR was never an issue to sell these trucks, the emissions software was and that has been resolved, the EGR is not different than any other recall issued by automakers, stop and use a little common sense, do you want every manufacture to stop selling vehicles every time there is a recall and to get the government to put a stop driving order out until the vehicle is fixed?

Do you understand how many millions of vehicles would be affected by such a standard?

It is very unlikely the EGR would fail in the limited time you will have it on your truck, it takes many heat cycles to develop the stress cracks.

Too many people think the manufacture can sit down and crap out all the recall parts at once, common sense people common sense.

Just because a problem has been identified and a recall issued does not mean the parts are ready or a cure has been developed but there is still a recall to alert the owners that there is a problem so they can be aware of it and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One more thing, I think some dealers just do not try very hard to get the parts, My 2019 I bought in August of 2020, it was a left over so I got a very good deal on it, the dealer did the EGR recall back in October of 2019 while it was on the dealers lot for sale, then in April of 2020 the recall came out on the windshield wiper arm nuts not being torqued to the right spec and they completed that recall again while the truck was on the dealers lot for sale.

Maybe you should start looking for a new dealer or pushing your dealer to get off their dead rear ends.

I found this on another site so maybe your dealer is not ordering the part correctly and that is why they can't seem to get one, as according to this post a dealer should be able to order one every seven days.

#2 9 mo ago

From what I am seeing with Chrysler- This is what they say regarding your part number- " Managed allocation level 1- Allowed Special handling order only. Dealer is limited to order 1 in 7 days. "

There is a lot of demand on this part number, you may want to speak to your local dealer on the logistics into why as I do not have that information. Hopefully that helps a bit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
OK one more one more, it is not as simple as ordering the part by FCA, you are talking about 108,000 to 150,000 ecodiesel trucks depending on the site reporting this recall, there is not a manufacture sitting there waiting for an order with a revised part ready to go. First FCA had to revise the part, do testing of the part, once that is done now they have to find a vendor who can start to produce the redesigned EGR part. Who ever that vendor is will not have a production line set aside solely for that recall part, they will be made so many at a time. That is all part of todays on time parts delivery, there are no warehouses stocked full of parts waiting for orders to come in so they can ship them, today orders are made and parts are produced on the orders and time period those parts will be needed for.

It is not like when you run out of beer and you can just run down to the local supermarket and pick up another case of beer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off, the class action is summarized here: Dodge Ram 1500 Class Action Lawsuit Alleges EGR Cooler Defect | Top Class Actions Canada

Second, I didn’t post this information to start a debate on whether or not this is a legitimate claim. If it was a waste of time, the law firm wouldn’t have taken this on. It’s not the same as the US here; we don’t sue everyone for everything.

Third, this information applies to Canadian owners so I’m not sure why someone who lives in the US feels so inclined to comment on it.

Fourth, FCA knew the EGR was an issue for years but chose not to investigate until 2019. In other words, they ignored a blatant safety issue to continue making profits. They then found, in their own investigation, that the EGR failure could lead to a fire. They continued to sell the trucks following this until issuing a recall.

Fifth, I understand producing a part isn’t a simple process. However, it has been a year with the dealer saying they have no timeline as to when they can perform the recall. This isn’t reasonable.

Sixth, I also understand this likely won’t become an issue on my truck for another year or two (or more) but it’s not a great feeling knowing my wife and kids are driving around in a vehicle that is more susceptible to catching fire than it should be.

Seventh, as there’s an open recall, I can’t trade the truck in with most dealers. Not that I intend to, but I should be able to should I chose. The truck is heavily de-valued until the recall is done...and I have no idea when that will be.

A US class action for the same issue is summarized here:

In my mind, the EGR is a bigger issue than the emissions cheating as it poses a major safety issue.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is nothing preventing you from trading in the truck if you are that scared of it, just because there is an open recall does not mean the truck is on a black list and it can't be traded. All the dealer will do is complete the recall themselves and will likely even put the truck on the used car lot for sale so if someone else buys it they will need to bring it in for the recall when the part becomes available.

The only ones making any real money off these lawsuits are the attorneys just like always, they file class action law suits all the time against all kinds of different products and companies and the attorneys normally make millions of dollars while the the consumer 99.9% of the time get a coupon for a few dollars off a product or they get a small check normally in the $10 to $60 dollar range.

I have not researched the class action but from what I have seen I believe the monetary pay out was because of the emissions software issue not the EGR recall as they are separate recalls. So if you are looking for a pay day on the EGR recall good luck with that because you will likely get a coupon in the mail for a MOPAR part or something.

What I see here is another blood sucking attorney sees an opportunity for himself to make millions of dollars while you get a coupon and the part will still not be manufactured any faster.

My advice if you see smoke and check engine/warning lights start lighting up on the dash pull over and get out don't open the hood just move away from the vehicle and let it burn, that is why you have insurance. If you keep driving and see smoke and warning lights coming on and you end up getting hurt that is on you for not using common sense.

·
Registered
238 Posts
"Fourth, FCA knew the EGR was an issue for years but chose not to investigate until 2019. In other words, they ignored a blatant safety issue to continue making profits. They then found, in their own investigation, that the EGR failure could lead to a fire. They continued to sell the trucks following this until issuing a recall."

I just have to respond to this one, if a vehicle catches fire and burns to the ground it is not as simple as you think to determine the cause of the fire, was it an oil leak? Was it a fuel leak? If the vehicle becomes engulfed in flames and burns everything up it becomes harder to determine what the cause of the fire was because of the extensive fire damage.

In this case you have hairline heat stress cracks that form and when the engine heats up the metal expands causing the cracks to open up allowing heated coolant vapors to inter the intake and it can ignite resulting in the fire. I highly doubt that FCA was able to determine the cause of the fires for sometime due to the fire damage and the fact that car manufactures normally do not have access to the totaled vehicle as once the insurance company pays off the claim the vehicle becomes the property of the insurance company who then either sells the car for parts to someone or they have it scraped.

Why is it I think you are from the millennial generation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the EGR failure last month and my truck did not burn. It lost power and I coasted to the side of the road. The truck had a low rough idle, but when I pressed on the GO peddle nothing happened. I called the dealer and the service rep told me to check the fluid level to see if it had leaked out. I did and it was full. So I restarted the truck and the third time it regained power. I was driving home from hunting season, so I made it home and took it to the dealer the next morning and the truck did the same thing. I had to restart it maybe 5 times and then I made it. Of course it was a weekend, so I left it at the service dept and they had the EGR part Monday.

I had the GDE tune until August this year. I took it in and decided to get my cash and trade it in on a new model after hunting season. Didn't happen and I still have the truck. I'm going to stick it out for now and wait for the 2021 model (they are currently selling 2020s rebadged as 2021s). Good luck whatever you do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts