RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,063 Posts
Liked the compromise. Smart thinking.

Glad warranty was honored and you are back operating without a debilitating expense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my 2017 ED replaced under WTY in April. I took it back to the dealer today as it has a tapping noise when coasting at no load. Less than 5K miles added since replaced. Still under warranty so hoping they can find the problem and repair it under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
On my replacement motor I went EGR off aftermarket tune from day one. When 100k warranty expired I did EGR cooler delete kit. Ran it hard towing TTs for 423,000 before cracked head heat issues ended her run. T6 with 10k rated filters & mopar fuel filter / water deperator every 30k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't believe I can get GDE or such changes in CA.... unless this has changed.

Still waiting for the dealer to diagnose. Been with them since Monday and not seen yet :-(

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
On my replacement motor I went EGR off aftermarket tune from day one. When 100k warranty expired I did EGR cooler delete kit. Ran it hard towing TTs for 423,000 before cracked head heat issues ended her run. T6 with 10k rated filters & mopar fuel filter / water deperator every 30k.
I would l ove an EGR off tune, but I need the warranty as this truck is primarily my work vehicle. I’m hoping the new GDE tune minimizes the EGR enough to increase longevity substantially.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I’m hoping the new GDE tune minimizes the EGR enough to increase longevity substantially.
There are bone stock trucks with 300,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
No tune automatically voids warranty. Any tune theoretically can void warranty if RAM can prove it caused said warranty issue. Research the forum & elsewhere and see if you can find a warranty claim denied because of a tune. Bet you cannot.

With a good use scenario or duty cycles ie longer run time where it’s run at full operating temp for a while & frequently plus an appropriate oil & change interval. Bio is right the motor can last a very long time. Tunes are about less problems better longevity better running or improved operation, better power, mileage, a brake etc. Not a requirement, for just investing in your truck to make it better & improve longevity minimize repairs.

What you don’t find is people who invested in a tune and are unhappy with it and say it wasn’t worth the money. Quite the opposite in fact.

Reactions: kronus

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
What you don’t find is people who invested in a tune and are unhappy with it and say it wasn’t worth the money. Quite the opposite in fact.
I went 90,000 miles on the stock tune and was mostly happy with it. I've had the GDE EPA tune for 7,000 miles. Night and day difference in throttle response and overall towing performance. I wouldn't want to go back to stock.

Reactions: kronus

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I went 90,000 miles on the stock tune and was mostly happy with it. I've had the GDE EPA tune for 7,000 miles. Night and day difference in throttle response and overall towing performance. I wouldn't want to go back to stock.
Just curious, what does your oil look like on the EPA tune? And I know “looks” are hardly an objective metric. I get all of my oil analyzed anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Just curious, what does your oil look like on the EPA tune? And I know “looks” are hardly an objective metric. I get all of my oil analyzed anyway.
To be honest, I really don't know. I change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals (due to towing and short commutes). I've heard others say that their oil was visually cleaner with the GDE EPA Compliant Tune. GDE has said that the factory tuning is extremely dirty, so that's where most of the blackened oil comes from. The EGR itself is more of a long-term reliability issue, not so much a shorted engine life issue. There's a lot of things that will kill the EcoDiesel and EGR isn't one of them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts