RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
Just wondering where I can get the info regarding the new oil specs that came from FCA? I thought I saw a link on here with the revised service manual but cant seem to find it - or I could be wrong. However I asked my service department about switching to the ROTELLA T6 and they said they still use the PRENZOIL EURO L - they have not had any direction from FCA to use anything else for oil spec as of yet.
Question - Will our truck give a message on our EVIC regarding fuel filter damage or degradation? The reason I ask is I was going back through my maintenance records and cannot seem to find a record of it being switched - My error cause I don't recall asking for it to be changed. When I asked the service desk about it they said it would have had to have been changed by now or I would have got a message on the EVIC, or some sort of mechanical issue Anyone know anything about this? Also they explained to me that there are 2 filters - one upper and one lower. I have only seen a reference to one filter.
Any info would be great!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello folks,
Just wondering where I can get the info regarding the new oil specs that came from FCA? I thought I saw a link on here with the revised service manual but cant seem to find it - or I could be wrong. However I asked my service department about switching to the ROTELLA T6 and they said they still use the PRENZOIL EURO L - they have not had any direction from FCA to use anything else for oil spec as of yet.
Question - Will our truck give a message on our EVIC regarding fuel filter damage or degradation? The reason I ask is I was going back through my maintenance records and cannot seem to find a record of it being switched - My error cause I don't recall asking for it to be changed. When I asked the service desk about it they said it would have had to have been changed by now or I would have got a message on the EVIC, or some sort of mechanical issue Anyone know anything about this? Also they explained to me that there are 2 filters - one upper and one lower. I have only seen a reference to one filter.
Any info would be great!
The oil spec has changed for all model years; but the TSB only exists for 2016s with a specific build date. Speculated reason being was they wanted to address all the most recent vehicles (and production vehicles) quickly before addressing older vehicles.

There is only one Fuel Filter on the truck; your tech is probably thinking of the CTD motor in the 2500/3500 Rams. That's pretty good evidence of a tech that isn't taking the time to know what he's doing.

·
Administrator
8,413 Posts
Hello folks,
Any info would be great!
Ask your service department to take a look at their Mopar Tech Authority Application for the 2014.

Here's a screenshot showing the 2014

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/13009-revised-oil-specification.html

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was what I was looking for 97HMCS - I'll let him know were to look and I will provide the oil myself as usual. Layhne - I hear ya, I was sitting there thinking "two filters!?... Man I thought it was just one!' - I'll watch to see if I get charged for two lol

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hello folks,
Any info would be great!

Same story from other dealers as well - basically they have stock and will use it up.
I changed my oil last night and used Kendall 5w 30 truck at 49000 km now since April oil filter still OEM - not changing yet.

I personally am a little skeptical about this whole oil viscosity change - for southern hotter climates -yes might be better.

I got 226,000 kms between 2 ecod and no problems.

Do as you choose--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts