RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think the merger would be good for FCA. It's too bad that Renault didn't work out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rumormill is getting stronger. Peugeot make good diesels-including for Ford!

Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot owner in merger talks https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50228611
Reading the article it points out the reason for needing a merger is the world competition in the automotive industry as it shifts to electric and/or autonomous vehicles. Not wanting to be a Debbie downer here, but the EV's are the future and our diesel pick-up's are going to be relict's of the past in a few short years. Enjoy them while we can!! The same can be said for the current muscle cars we have now, if you want a hellcat, mustang, camaro etc. Now is the time to get one.

·
Registered
781 Posts
When Sergio was CEO, he always talked about shared technology. He said that shared technology not only advances the cause, but it would also allow many FCA platforms to use the same parts/technology. Shared technology ultimately drives down cost and yields to higher profits.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Agreed. FCA has knowing been going down a dead end for a while at the same time hoping for a suitor with direction. Hooking up with Peugeot might show how desperate FCA is and has been. Sergio was begging for a GM buy-out but GM knew better.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The French can't build sh... Peugeot is pathetic.

This is a step back for fiat and Chrysler.
Anyone who has driven a Peugeot or sister vehicle including Citroen (and Opel now) will disagree with your comment.

I've driven several of both on recent trips to the UK. They produce solid vehicles. The designs are clever and effective.

Peugeot has also been looking at the US market. Their autos would be a far better match than the 500.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Reading the article it points out the reason for needing a merger is the world competition in the automotive industry as it shifts to electric and/or autonomous vehicles. Not wanting to be a Debbie downer here, but the EV's are the future and our diesel pick-up's are going to be relict's of the past in a few short years. Enjoy them while we can!! The same can be said for the current muscle cars we have now, if you want a hellcat, mustang, camaro etc. Now is the time to get one.
Only if we roll over and let them. I fully understand they know what is good/best for us. It not just your/mine diesel, but its my three 1937 Plymouths also. I;m not a Lemming. They will not be happy until your car and mine look alike, if we have one. And we both wear some variation of a Mao suit..

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Back when Chrysler owned Lamborghini, the Viper motor was born. Merging with Peugeot who knows what may come of it

·
Registered
421 Posts
What I am curious about is does this give PSA-FCAU access to Renault technology into Electrification and better mileage and power?

The reason I say this is most countries now consider any corporation within their borders "game" to cooperate. And since this will give the French controlling interest, I assume the electrification strategy every country needs for the long term is possibly in reach for this new "Group" whatever they call it.

Renault (also French) is a leader in electrification of vehicles, and is a top pick within China to really scale electric vehicles at the $25,000 price point or so.

I drove in a DS 6 while in Germany last year, this is their high end mostly cross over line.

Check out this ride?
DS C3 Wild Rubis

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Weill... in a blast from the past, Peugeot Citroen sell several vehicles built by Mitsubishi...

I forget what it's called but dodge sold a Mitsubishi pick up once
I remember those!

And let's not forget the Plymouth Arrow. I actually owned one while stationed in Okinawa, but it was the Mitsubishi Celeste there.

Seems like I remember Peugot selling cars here in Murica in the 80s, maybe 90s. About the same time that Alfa Romeo was here. And now Alfa Romeo is back so...……..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good maybe dodge will get a chance to R&D some new engines. Been going on the hemi coattail way too long without updating or remedying any problems. Lifters manifold bolts etc should have been fixed long ago 2019 and it's the same engine as 2015 same as 2010 pretty sad if you ask me. This coming from a guy who is doing lifters right now!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
There now Chrysler will have a large selection of refined 4 cylinders to chose from. Maybe they will have a french replacement for the "tigershark" 2.4 four cylinder. What an engine that is LOL. I'd better what my comments people on the forum might love that motor too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Only if we roll over and let them. I fully understand they know what is good/best for us. It not just your/mine diesel, but its my three 1937 Plymouths also. I;m not a Lemming. They will not be happy until your car and mine look alike, if we have one. And we both wear some variation of a Mao suit..
Nice rant! I hope you feel better, but just exactly how are you planning on stopping the electrification of the automobile power train? I don't much like it either, but I know it's coming and in the end there's nothing I can do to stop it. In the mean time I'm planning on enjoying my new Ram when it gets here while I can.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts