RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I read all of these threads of those with blown engines for unknown reasons, the struggles of the EGR cooler, the struggles with FCA to warranty work, and lastly the AEM update horrors some seem to be having, it's hard not to think the future is very grim for the eco.

I understand that the forums are a small sample size of all eco owners and in general, most will go through the effort to write about a negative experience versus a positive being we just expect things to go right and things to work. However with all the threads of people having issues, I will say for myself that I am starting to be swayed to dump my eco and get either the 2020 3.0 duramax in the chevy or go for a cummins 2500. This is assuming a dealer will take my vehicle on trade even (looking at that route due to incentives for a trade-in make it comparable in net value with a private sale) as some have experienced dealers unwilling to do so. I bought my '18 as a late stock arrival in November of 18 from a dealer who was wanting to get that late arrival inventory gone as the 19's were flooding the lot so the deal was pretty solid. Got the 8/120 warranty as well being that dealership chain gives it to military for the employee cost of $1000 so it seemed like a no-brainer as I wish to keep my truck for over 100k.

The rub now is with me deciding if my fears of failure and not actually getting a warranty fix for it should steer me towards jumping ship on my eco. I am really liking the truck and bought it for the mileage with 50 miles round trip of driving to work five days a week and then for hunting, firewood cutting, dump hauling, etc.. on the weekend. With the mileage in mind, that is why I am looking at the Chevy 1500 duramax as that so far has been reported to be doing very well. I might go test drive one today if the small-ish dealer near me has one on the lot. The 2500 cummins is only a consideration as I previously had a 3rd gen 5.9 and 6.7 2500 and have some loyalty there.

Anyone else in the same boat here? I'm only at 20k on my truck and just did my second oil change and have a fuel filter staring at me on my work bench to get that in shortly as well, but fears of the future are getting to me and even my wife is saying maybe it's time to move on if it's not going to last. Have only 10k left on the loan as well so that's a bit of a factor leaning towards wanting to keep it and hope it works.

Thanks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
We all justify our reasons for keeping or trading. Bottom line is, do you want the Chevy more than your Ram?

Any modern diesel is going to have emissions problems. Expecting and taking precautions to avoid those problems is the long term key to happy dieseling.

·
Registered
746 Posts
As I read all of these threads of those with blown engines for unknown reasons, the struggles of the EGR cooler, the struggles with FCA to warranty work, and lastly the AEM update horrors some seem to be having, it's hard not to think the future is very grim for the eco.

I understand that the forums are a small sample size of all eco owners and in general, most will go through the effort to write about a negative experience versus a positive being we just expect things to go right and things to work. However with all the threads of people having issues, I will say for myself that I am starting to be swayed to dump my eco and get either the 2020 3.0 duramax in the chevy or go for a cummins 2500. This is assuming a dealer will take my vehicle on trade even (looking at that route due to incentives for a trade-in make it comparable in net value with a private sale) as some have experienced dealers unwilling to do so. I bought my '18 as a late stock arrival in November of 18 from a dealer who was wanting to get that late arrival inventory gone as the 19's were flooding the lot so the deal was pretty solid. Got the 8/120 warranty as well being that dealership chain gives it to military for the employee cost of $1000 so it seemed like a no-brainer as I wish to keep my truck for over 100k.

The rub now is with me deciding if my fears of failure and not actually getting a warranty fix for it should steer me towards jumping ship on my eco. I am really liking the truck and bought it for the mileage with 50 miles round trip of driving to work five days a week and then for hunting, firewood cutting, dump hauling, etc.. on the weekend. With the mileage in mind, that is why I am looking at the Chevy 1500 duramax as that so far has been reported to be doing very well. I might go test drive one today if the small-ish dealer near me has one on the lot. The 2500 cummins is only a consideration as I previously had a 3rd gen 5.9 and 6.7 2500 and have some loyalty there.

Anyone else in the same boat here? I'm only at 20k on my truck and just did my second oil change and have a fuel filter staring at me on my work bench to get that in shortly as well, but fears of the future are getting to me and even my wife is saying maybe it's time to move on if it's not going to last. Have only 10k left on the loan as well so that's a bit of a factor leaning towards wanting to keep it and hope it works.

Thanks.
With the warranty and only 10k owed I'd keep it. Your long trips should keep it happy. The only time I've ever seen the 80% dpf full was when my trip to work was 3 miles each way. Saw it twice in the 5 months I worked there, never saw it before or after.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
60,000 miles on my ED. My plan is to keep it until 120,000 miles. I’ll have it paid off and it should be 4 years old by then. Hopefully it has some decent residual value. No towing, mostly hwy miles, good maintenance, hopefully sell it easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are (according to FCA's EGR callback numbers) approximately 160,000 EcoD's out there. There are approximately 16,000 members on this forum, not all of whom own Ecod's and not all of whom have had trouble. That's 10% (or less).

What are the 90% who don't read this forum doing? They are living and enjoying life with their Ecod and without all the hyped up fear that comes with reading negative things ... :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My 2016 was out of warranty within the first year of ownership due to the miles I drive and a shitty warranty for Canadians. Lost my EGR cooler shortly thereafter and deleted it myself and GDE tuned then. Now two years later and 130,000 miles and the truck has run flawless since.
With the warranty you have remaining, you are actually in a much better position to keep your truck than most.
It would be a no brainer for me.
The devil you know verses the devil you dont.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have owned a 3500 6.7 cummins and prior 5.9's.

Those trucks are dissimilar to a half ton ecodiesel. Either you have a use for it or you don't. I wouldn't buy one if I didn't need one thy do not make financial sense.

Now yes we do live in America and you free to do what you want with your money, it just seems like a stupid decision, but im sure I do enough stuff with my money people think is stupid too.

My take you have a very long warranty on a truck that has been fine, it would drive with no fear at least till the end of the warranty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have owned a 3500 6.7 cummins and prior 5.9's.

Those trucks are dissimilar to a half ton ecodiesel. Either you have a use for it or you don't. I wouldn't buy one if I didn't need one thy do not make financial sense.

Now yes we do live in America and you free to do what you want with your money, it just seems like a stupid decision, but im sure I do enough stuff with my money people think is stupid too.

My take you have a very long warranty on a truck that has been fine, it would drive with no fear at least till the end of the warranty.

I've also had a 2500 w/Cummins and agree completely with that statement - they're wonderful vehicles, but if you don't need it, it's a heck of a lot of money you didn't need to spend. Granted if I had unlimited funds I'd probably have one just because. Sadly, I don't haha

·
Registered
134 Posts
I filled up this morning on the way to work 100% commuting tank

575 miles on 20.52 gallons = 28.02 mpg. Cant touch that in a cummins.
Yup; I would get about 16.5 empty on average (don't remember for an only highway journey). Downhill from there loaded. If you need to tow or haul a huge amount of weight, it's great, but the number of times I did was so rare that it didn't make sense. 1500s for me here on out, barring a lottery win :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm thinking that it's too early to get the Duramax. That being said, it's likely that the first things you're going to hear about once there are more of them being used are the horror stories. Just like this forum. You're just more likely to hear about the bad than the good--at least at first--because people are more likely to tell you the bad. Give it a year before you seriously consider the Dmax.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
It is hard to live in your fears. Maybe stop reading forums? Many have had good luck with their Ecodiesels. I was one of them. You sure cannot beat that fuel mileage. Tune the darn things for more reliability and operating ease.

The 3.0 Duramax has a few owners reporting overheating issues, some shutting down the engines. Read where one, maybe two reporting that problem stated they thought the engine was ruined. I did not get that impression as both reports I read seemed to show the owners as a bit uneducated mechanically. That is polite talk for they were more like a dufus on the issue.

GM gave them issues just getting towed and issues figuring out how to do a repair. Seemed to be a failure in that active coolant management system. Some readers criticized the arrangement of DPF and DEF close together with the EGR systems inside the hood where heat would naturally be high. I like the in-line design of that engine, less the oil pump belt arrangement. As for the active coolant management system, sure seems complicated and may be problematic.

As for the newly re-designed Cummins hydraulic motor, no major problems repeatedly reported yet.

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
432 Posts
One thing I don't understand. If a ED owner decides to change vehicles due to all the problems why is it often that they say one of their first alternative choices is a 2500 Cummins truck? Totally different class and doesn't get near the fuel mileage as the ED. Is it brand loyalty? If the person I speak of needs a greater hauling or towing capacity I get it, but that never comes up. I can understand switching to the newer 1/2 ton diesels offered by other companies. I must be missing something.

Reactions: VernDiesel and MAS

·
Registered
146 Posts

Thanks.
I’ve also wrestled with the idea of moving on from my ED. It’s easy to get caught up in the sky is falling....
For my part, I won’t give advice but I’ll tell you what I decided. My 2016 has about 62,600 miles on it. I have 14 mos or 37,400 miles left on the power train warranty. Also have the AEM warranty until 2026 or 120,000 miles. Lastly, mine has been paid off for a while. All that considered, even though I had an EGR failure I am keeping mine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Where you're at for money owed, mileage, and extended warranty, I'd at least hang on to it until paid for. makes trading it cleaner.

As for fear of something going wrong, nothing you buy to replace the ED will be bullet proof. Look at their forums and see the posted horror stories. The only thing that would make a difference in my book is the reputation of the service garage, dealer or independent. For example, if I had one closer that was better at GMs, that might push me that direction.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all of the replies. I do want to keep my truck, just wondering of the thoughts out there as I was quite surprised when even my wife was saying I should look into alternatives. I luckily haven't had any issues with it as of yet minus getting coolant refilled for my leaking EGR, but also I would hope I don't at 20k miles on it.

It appears it is easily the fact that most of my fears are over-inflated but I guess we can see where this heads over the long term and I'll just hope the extended warranty and FCA will cover whatever occurs IF anything occurs.

I truly am enjoying my truck and would like to keep it. It looks good and rides very well, especially after the King shocks I threw on it broke in.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I don't mean to completely discount your concerns about the truck. I have my own, just not willing to take the hit to sell it now that I would. Mine is a 15 bought new in February 16 has been paid for since the second monthly payment. I absolutely love this truck, at the moment I can say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. With 80,300 miles on it I haven't had to fix or repair/replace anything, only oil and oil air and fuel filters.

If you want out of the ecodiesel I think just about any of the 1/2 ton gas engines would give you a better bang for you buck than going to a cummins. Modern emissions on diesels work best when they are ran hot and long.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't mean to completely discount your concerns about the truck. I have my own, just not willing to take the hit to sell it now that I would. Mine is a 15 bought new in February 16 has been paid for since the second monthly payment. I absolutely love this truck, at the moment I can say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. With 80,300 miles on it I haven't had to fix or repair/replace anything, only oil and oil air and fuel filters.

If you want out of the ecodiesel I think just about any of the 1/2 ton gas engines would give you a better bang for you buck than going to a cummins. Modern emissions on diesels work best when they are ran hot and long.
Your story is Typical of Most ED ownership.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
TRy to avoid the emotions and look at it methodically and objectively. It seems to me you have one of the best arrangements and lowest risks of anyone for keeping your Ecodiesel. A good long warranty to protect you from significant financial risk, a truck that you like, few miles on the truck. RIght now the market is in a place where it will take a couple years before we really understand the long term reliability and performance of the new half ton diesel options offered by GM, FCA and Ford. I see no logic in taking a flyer on a new and relatively untested truck based upon short test drives and comments from themotoring press.

You are in a great place to keep your truck for 2 or many more years and make a decision later when there will likely be more reliable information available about which new half ton diesel has the best long term reliability record. Everytime you get in your truck tell yourself how well you like it and its performance and get on with life. If you have a problem tell yourself how smart and lucky you were to get such a great warranty for such a low cost.

ANd now time for one of my favorite songs for this forum---

;)

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
997 Posts
I got the same vibes from the Silverado.com forums on my last truck, a 2011 Chevy 5.3 L 1500 ExtCab. I drove it for 7 years and 79000 and it never left me stranded. But I was, at first taken back on the overall negativity towards my Chevy! It is no different here. Not that people's complaints are not valid, but the good vs bad is highly slanted on forums. Most people come to forums because they have a problem and want to bitch or even find a solution about it, not to sing kumbaya and hold hands.

I bought my 2017 Tradesman Ecodiesel before finding this forum, lol, but I didn't worry about what I read. I did pony up for a Mopar 100,000 mile/5 year Maxcare extended warranty and other "enhancements".

Coming up on 2 years, I'm at 33,8xx miles, and it runs just hunky dory. We tow often, about 20,000 of those miles are with our RV behind us. Drove it from Alaska to Florida and back last spring, and it never missed a beat.

I too fully agree that this engine likes heat and to be worked. I've never had any issues with overheating, I just slow down a bit and don't go crazy, but most of the time, I sail right up and over the passes with ease. I do not pansy this engine, especially when it's cold. Throttle equals heat!

Last fall I changed the oil, it had about 7500 miles on the oil, 4000 of those were towing miles, here is the oil report.

I'll let you be the judge, but I think I'm Ok and the odds are, I'll get lots of use out of my Eco. And if it goes, it goes. I'll not be held emotionally hostage!

Drive on I say!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts