RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
^ like the local 19.99 oil change place using car grade oil. I wouldn't be surprised if a measurable number of failed engines were from the wrong oil. Would/did FCA oil lab test every failed engine?

My used ram purchase came with fluid changes and new tires. From the delivery I noticed the oil was low and coal black. I sent off a sample and it came back as 15w40. The rear limited slip would chatter on full turns. I changed out the rear end with Royal Purple and the chatter went away. So if a Ram dealership cuts corners, who knows what the 19.99$ oil change place does or doesn't do. A more robust design maybe could function on wrong oil. But the 2nd Gen EcoD may be right on the cusp of design limits and need the correct oil to stay in the green zone. Maybe just one dirty dealership or lazy oil tech could be enough to set the engine up for later failure. Even though I changed the oil out, who knows if the few weeks of driving on 15w40 oil did any damage to the bearings/journal. So far two oil lab test were good.
According to the folks at GDE the ecodiesel was designed for use with 15w40, the 5w30 and 5w40 options from ram are almost all for fuel mileage and possibly some for cold start.

I think there was an ecodiesel owner that reported sending in the factory fill that came back as a 15w40 from the analyzer too. Wish I could remember where I read that.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I went back and checked the oil test results from my first oilchange and the factory fill had a 212 deg F viscosity consistent with a 30 weight oil.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I went back and checked the oil test results from my first oilchange and the factory fill had a 212 deg F viscosity consistent with a 30 weight oil.
Lord knows could have and will again mis read and mis remember lol, but if my memory serves me, which sometimes it does not, this was from a later production, I believe an '18.

All that aside users have ran 15w40 with analysis and had no complaints and one in fact got better numbers on the 15w40 than the spec oil.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Folks like to compare these Ecodiesels to the Cummins. It
makes sense to compare typical owners as well. Typically a Cummins owner is well informed and has either history of diesels or at least does their homework because of the large price of admission in to the world of diesel. Plus it’s for a specific application such as towing. With an Ecodiesel it seems at times it’s more of a casual decision. Almost an after thought. Less time spent on research of what they’re signing up for, therefore treating their diesel like a gas engine.

·
Registered
680 Posts
With an Ecodiesel it seems at times it’s more of a casual decision. Almost an after thought. Less time spent on research of what they’re signing up for, therefore treating their diesel like a gas engine.
I know what you are saying and I don't disagree. However, I think it should be taken into account that at no time has FCA advertised the Ecod as anything different from any other passenger truck/vehicle. They have not stressed the differences between gas and diesel the way they do with the 3/4 and Cummins.

I hate to lay blame, I'd rather look for solutions, but in this case I can't lay the blame for treating the Ecod's like a gasser at anyone's feet other than FCA.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have a sense all of these new half ton and jeep diesel owneres will be over time disappointed. Most are not in the zone like us. Time will tell,but the stories will come out. I think we all know what they will report, but upfront putting gas into the tank is very much the first big let down. Next up will be a tow and manual regeneration.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
"drive their diesel like a gasser"

There are a big time plenty of people who buy a cummins/powerstroke/Duramax that don't own a trailer don't tow or haul and "drive them like a gasser"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Social media is great for spreading propaganda. I'd guesstimate over 75% of EcoD owners do not participate on these websites. No doubt that EcoD's (and every other car/truck/etc) have failures from fire, thrown rods, broken camshafts, EGR, etc, but the sky is not falling and baby polar bears are not dying from your SUV. Life will go on. (y)
Totally agree

·
Registered
617 Posts
I

That is very interesting. I wonder if they made any changes in the engine to accommodate the lighter oil or not. The 0w vs 5w makes no difference except that the 0w has better cold weather lubrication as well as easier starting but the change from 30 to 20 for the hot viscosity is interesting. Both my engines have the 2 stage oil pumps. At low loads and rpms the oil pressure runs about 30 psi and at RPMs above something like 2800 or so it jumps up to 65-70 psi. Do you know if your Avenger does that?
Unfortunately my Venge doesn't have an oil pressure gage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I read all of these threads of those with blown engines for unknown reasons, the struggles of the EGR cooler, the struggles with FCA to warranty work, and lastly the AEM update horrors some seem to be having, it's hard not to think the future is very grim for the eco.

I understand that the forums are a small sample size of all eco owners and in general, most will go through the effort to write about a negative experience versus a positive being we just expect things to go right and things to work. However with all the threads of people having issues, I will say for myself that I am starting to be swayed to dump my eco and get either the 2020 3.0 duramax in the chevy or go for a cummins 2500. This is assuming a dealer will take my vehicle on trade even (looking at that route due to incentives for a trade-in make it comparable in net value with a private sale) as some have experienced dealers unwilling to do so. I bought my '18 as a late stock arrival in November of 18 from a dealer who was wanting to get that late arrival inventory gone as the 19's were flooding the lot so the deal was pretty solid. Got the 8/120 warranty as well being that dealership chain gives it to military for the employee cost of $1000 so it seemed like a no-brainer as I wish to keep my truck for over 100k.

The rub now is with me deciding if my fears of failure and not actually getting a warranty fix for it should steer me towards jumping ship on my eco. I am really liking the truck and bought it for the mileage with 50 miles round trip of driving to work five days a week and then for hunting, firewood cutting, dump hauling, etc.. on the weekend. With the mileage in mind, that is why I am looking at the Chevy 1500 duramax as that so far has been reported to be doing very well. I might go test drive one today if the small-ish dealer near me has one on the lot. The 2500 cummins is only a consideration as I previously had a 3rd gen 5.9 and 6.7 2500 and have some loyalty there.

Anyone else in the same boat here? I'm only at 20k on my truck and just did my second oil change and have a fuel filter staring at me on my work bench to get that in shortly as well, but fears of the future are getting to me and even my wife is saying maybe it's time to move on if it's not going to last. Have only 10k left on the loan as well so that's a bit of a factor leaning towards wanting to keep it and hope it works.

Thanks.

I have my 2016 Big Horn EcoDiesel w/ 54K. I've have a lot of highway miles, some towing. I have consistently gotten 27-29 on the highway and usually around 22-23 around town. My wife and I spent a extended amount of time on the road looking for a new place to live. Comfortable traveling no issues. Knock on wood the only issue (outside of recalls) was a clock spring that was under warrantee. The truck has been paid for and I'll keep until it dies, no thought of replacing it.
M

41 - 52 of 52 Posts