RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are plastic fenders available for the Outdoorsman and Laramie. Anyone have a feel for how necessary these are to keep road grime off the sheetmetal?

I'm not sure what the real name for these things are, but it's the plastic trim around the outside of the wheelwell.

I don't drive off road. Looking closely at the tires and sheetmetal, it looks to me like the 20" tires are likely to throw all sorts of crap on to the sheetmetal. It's not just about grime, it's also about the sandblasting that sheetmetal can take when wheels protrude a little bit outboard of the wheelwells even when all driving is on streets and highways. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
438 Posts
An option is Paint Protection Film. It's clear urethane, usally professionally installed. Industry standard is usally 6 mils but if you can find 8 mil material it offers a lot more protection.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer got back to me on the issue. The fender flares are some crazy price like $1200 + painting and install. They're available pretty inexpensively on ebay so if I get the truck I'll go that route. Probably won't bother to paint them. Black goes with everything.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dealer got back to me on the issue. The fender flares are some crazy price like $1200 + painting and install. They're available pretty inexpensively on ebay so if I get the truck I'll go that route. Probably won't bother to paint them. Black goes with everything.
You can go to Bushwhacker for a real durable but aggressive-looking options. The downside to adding flares is they damage the paint so you better like them because removal is more than it sounds like unless you're adding more flares

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can go to Bushwhacker for a real durable but aggressive-looking options. The downside to adding flares is they damage the paint so you better like them because removal is more than it sounds like unless you're adding more flares
Yup they are bad ass and look really aggressive when installed. Great choice :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do the fender flairs come standard on the outdoorsman? If so would I be able to delete them from an order? Reason being I would like to put aftermarket fender flairs like pocket style bushwackers. If not would it be easy to swap the factory flairs for aftermarket flairs? This would be ideal because I wouldn't be able to afford them right away and would be nice to have the factory flairs in place for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do you know if its easy to swap these out for Bushwackers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts