RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a camper shell for my 2015 Ram 1500 with long box (8').
Would appreciate any input or help locating one.

·
Super Moderator
4,145 Posts
Some people have been lucky to find cap on Craigslist, eBay, etc.
Find a local shop that sell truck caps, they will usually sell used ones if your not in the market for a new one. Depending on the model cap and where your located, I've heard of new going for anywhere from $1500 to $3000.
If you mention where about you live(local major city), there are forum members located just about everywhere who can give you local places to look. Unless your located in SE Michigan, it probably does you no good if it told you about Joe's Auto Glass or Quality Caps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i was thinking about putting a camper shell on my 2020 ecodiesel but was wondering if it would hurt my fuel mileage?

·
Super Moderator
4,145 Posts
@kk4iz any wind load is what really cost you fuel efficiency. Most of your typical bed caps that are cab height or may raise up slightly near the rear of the cap will have very little impact of fuel efficiency. If I had to put a # on it, I would say it maybe a tenth or two. If you tow a trailer behind, the cap may help reduce the loss.
Something like a slide in bed campers, that's a different story.
To give you a an idea of how much wind resistance plays, I tow a 24' enclosed V nose car hauler when empty is 3k lbs, I get about 16 mpg with it tow. When I tow my 17' boat which is also 3 K lbs, I up around 20 mpg.
If you have time you need a cap but don't really want full time there is also: Softopper

·
Registered
63 Posts
Was not sure it would go in garage and too old to climb up in the back to get something up front.So I went with a Ultra Flex bed cover. I am 6'5" and have no problem reaching cover the sides unless it is in the middle to get somethings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I keep a boat hook in the back of my truck. I can easily pull or push anything in the back of my truck with or without camper shell. Works Great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts