RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I got a chance to play with the Father In Laws new rig. Laramie Longhorn with every bell and whistle except sunroof and ram box. It's a beautiful truck and fabulous machine. I drove it about 30 miles without the camper and 15 with the camper. In both cases it road better and quieter than my 2012 CTS. No Lie. Couldn't believe it. He has the 3.55 rear end and his travel trailer is 34' long and weighs approx 10,750 if it's fully loaded with water and all the gear. For this ride he figured it was at 9,200 lbs. The truck towed like a champ. More than enough power to cruise and pass. On the EVIC we were at 14 mpg at 60mph on a smooth flat 2 lane highway. The trailer brake controller and air suspension were amazing. In rolling hills hung out around 11 mpg unless climbing. Then it dropped down to 8 mpg heading up hill. We were in tow/haul mode all the time.

Just for posterity, I included a few photos of Old Butch so you can see what he's comparing his new Eco Diesel too...needless to say he's quite impressed. As you can see, the ol' 95 with the 5.9 is looking pretty tired. But, the good news is Butch's power to weight ratio keeps getting better and better as the years go buy and the rust eats him up.

I ordered my Laramie last week with the 3.92 rear end. After driving his 3.55 with this rig behind it, I could have gotten away with the 3.55 just fine. Oh well. Oh yeah, after my spirited driving while towing in the hills, the tranny temp was 204 degrees...I don't know what to compare that too, but it was a shade over half way on the "gauge" and the rear tire pressure was only 1 psi higher than the front tires.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That color really pops in the sunlight, nice looking ride. I favorably compared the ride of my Laramie with my 2009 CTS. It's good to see that you agree, this truck is plush!

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
I'm a point A to Point B driver. Color and styling mean little to me. I leave that stuff to my wife who would buy a terd if you painted it the right color. What is important is getting there reliably and towing with good fuel mileage. That Eco will do it.

Now as for that tow test, bet it's over the trucks' max towing capacity. What does that mean? Darn near nothing in my opinion if it tows it. You gave a towing report. It worked. That's good to know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanx for the report. I'm shopping for a light weight mid length tt now. Stumbled across an ed thread in the tow vehicle sub forum of rv.net trying to get some info. Man, are they beating up our poor ecodiesel over there!! 90% based on speculation, presumptions & ultra-conservative ratings from naysayers that have yet to see an ed! Good to have some first hand experience to base my decisions on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts