RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment Trip West details.pdf

Not sure if my pdf spreadsheet is attached, but I just returned from my nearly 11,000 mile trip, towing my 7423 lb TT and the truck performed VERY WELL!! I could not be happier with it. No problems; no issues; great mileage in my opinion (avg. almost 16 mpg for the whole trip as calculated by hand every fill up). Glad to answer any questions, but would not be afraid to do it again, any time.

Truck: Larmie Crew Cab 3.0 2015 with 3.55 with Michelin Defender tires; 5'7" bed; 4x4; back flip bed cover; Two people plus dog in truck; weighed out at scales 13,458 lb.

Note: If the attachment doesn't work, someone let me know how best to get it into the site. Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
Someone has to ask ...

- what year is your truck?
- has the AEM been done and are you running on it on a stock ECM ?
- or ... are you "tuned"?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry. Any other question(s)?
I asked because people will want to know if you are running on a stock ECM and if so has the AEM update been done.

From your answer, it sounds like you've had the AEM update done on your stock ECM, and then you have taken out the stock ECM and swapped back in your tuned ECM. If so, then you are not running on the AEM tune.

Whose tune are you running?

·
Registered
260 Posts
View attachment 83046

Not sure if my pdf spreadsheet is attached, but I just returned from my nearly 11,000 mile trip, towing my 7423 lb TT and the truck performed VERY WELL!! I could not be happier with it. No problems; no issues; great mileage in my opinion (avg. almost 16 mpg for the whole trip as calculated by hand every fill up). Glad to answer any questions, but would not be afraid to do it again, any time.

Truck: Larmie Crew Cab 3.0 2015 with 3.55 with Michelin Defender tires; 5'7" bed; 4x4; back flip bed cover; Two people plus dog in truck; weighed out at scales 13,458 lb.

Note: If the attachment doesn't work, someone let me know how best to get it into the site. Thanks
I did a very similar trip in 2015. 4K trailer with my 2014 Outdoorsman. Was a great trip. We started near Pittsburgh PA. Hit the Badlands, black hills then Yellowstone and Tetons. Travelled out I90 then came down to Colorado and took I70 back home. We only planned our route. We found camp grounds and places to park for the night on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice work on documenting your fuel expenses. Nothing like visiting gas stations on a daily basis.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I posted about my 2 long trips and the effects of the AEM/transmission update and not sure why or if it was deleted. Basically, the AEM update (only the transmission update) did NOT negatively affect the mpg and in fact, it was better.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Lots to be learned here. Thanks for the post. I even linked it to another member asking about how they run.

Interesting how some are so enamored with the tune thing. Guessing they never did and probably most never will. To each his own. Some will not spend a cent and rely on luck to run properly. Some use the environment as their excuse. Some use the government also. I like it when people "stack the deck' in their favor to run clean and efficiently with increased reliability. There are no guarantees. I'll take the better odds of no problems any day.

Thanks again for the comprehensive information. Glad it all went well.

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
:cool: Thanks for documenting and sharing this. Many will find this helpful in knowing what they can get when towing a large TT on a long haul trip. Its also both directions which gives a better average as opposed to many who give a report on one direction ie into the wind or with it to their back which will be dramatically different than a more realistic and practical average such as yours. Also good to say average highway speed of like 65 or 55 if a person does lots of two lanes. I assume yours was mostly around 65 when on the interstate. You did note a 70 mph stretch for home.

How did you arrive at a scaled weight of 13,458 as I only see scales weigh in 20 pound increments. No doubting you only asking. To average 15.9 mpg on a long round trip towing a large box style TT is outstanding and would be unbelievable and dismissed by many TT forum posters. Same truck and trailer with a Hemi would likely struggle to average 9 or 10 under the same trip and conditions, a large tuned diesel likely 13. Only with a big diesel it would be easier to average 13 then the 10 of the Hemi or even to achieve your mileage. When I do a long trip towing the same trailers running with a 3/4 ton and big diesel this is what I see as a difference unless we run faster then the spread quickly thins. Great report thanks again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vern:
First off, sorry we couldn't get together, either time we were in Dayton. Wife mother and father in nursing home and lots of challenges.

Not sure how they came to that weight, but that's what they gave me on the ticket at Flying J just off exit 194 on I-26 north of Charleston when we started out. Maybe they thought I looked like I had some "added pounds"?

You are certainly right about a hemi mpg. My older 2003, 2500 5.7 L with over 260,000 miles on it last year did about the same trip and got an average of 9.2 overall for some 9000 miles.

The only thing that was BAD about the trip was the leg from Memphis to Dayton. We were on I-57 and got stopped for the only time on the trip, but a local "policeman" of sorts. I say of sorts because we were doing the 45 mph speed in the "construction zone", but he said he clocked us at 61 mph. He refused to show his radar and the ticket requires mandatory attendance in court in the county of Pulaski, IL. This is a long story and I'll not share it here, but if anyone is interested, do an internet search for "traffic tickets, Pulaski, Il" and you will not believe what you will read about an MANY years long speed trap in this section of I-57. Fines range between $800 and $1200 .....regardless of your speed. Seriously, if you have any reason to go to that area AVOID I-57, you WILL get a ticket.....even the local lawyers say that this is how the county makes money. Enter at your own risk.

For warned is for armed!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for campsites, we reserved mostly KOA, and while they are a bit more expensive, everyone was much better than the three non-KOA places. 15 our of 17 campgrounds were KOA.

As for fuel. I bought the least expensive I could find every time, using both Gas Buddy app and the gas finder on the RAM display. I did find that when they stated the Bio-Diesel was 10-15%, while the price would be 20-25 cents less than other non-bio stations, the resulting mileage was also less. I think I can go back and recapture which fill up were with the higher percent bio, but might take a while to dig out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We were about 250 lbs lighter on our x-country trip last spring, about 14.5k miles all said and done. The best mileage was 16.4 mpg on a perfect day, but the average was 14.5 mpg. Your mileage is pretty darned good, I'm impressed. I'm tuned too, same gears. 6th gear is used 90% of the time on the hwy. My next truck will have 3.92,s.

Towing RV,s must be good for these engines, my last oil report was amazing really. 4100 miles out of the 7400 miles on the last oil change were towing miles with a lot of mountains and passes, some of that from our spring trip. I think Vern and CaptMal know about that too them having long lasting engine life. Vern's story is pretty impressive with his Eco.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/66786-very-happy-oil-report.html

·
Registered
730 Posts
As for campsites, we reserved mostly KOA, and while they are a bit more expensive, everyone was much better than the three non-KOA places. 15 our of 17 campgrounds were KOA.

As for fuel. I bought the least expensive I could find every time, using both Gas Buddy app and the gas finder on the RAM display. I did find that when they stated the Bio-Diesel was 10-15%, while the price would be 20-25 cents less than other non-bio stations, the resulting mileage was also less. I think I can go back and recapture which fill up were with the higher percent bio, but might take a while to dig out.
We found using Google Map to find RV campgrounds to be very useful, most of the time. Sticking to the interstates made it easier to find a spot. We did have some trouble down in the Gulf oil states finding a spot for the night, lots of transient workers would fill up the parks.

I think next time were going to sign up for Good Sam, there seemed to be a lot of those about.

And sometimes there is the good old "dry camp" truck stop, or a Walmart (city ords notwithstanding), providing it isn't hot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sourdo:
It way your trip that gave me the confidence to take on the trip. I'm sure the reason for the higher mpg overall is because I did spend some times down at 60 mph and even 55 in a lot of construction zones.

As for camp sites, I am both a KOA and Good Sam member and while I stayed at both along with a few "independent" ones, the KOA ones are far and above nicer campgrounds. Yes, they do cost more, but if you figure in the KOA membership 10% discount, they are usually only a couple of dollars more in the long run per night. For me, worth it for the nicer showers, laundry and larger campsites. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Unreal fuel mileage. How can that possibly be correct? Just the wind resistance of a trailer 1/2 the weight should bring you down less than the 15 mpg or so your log shows.

Post a picture of your rig. Near everyone here would want one if it cuts through the atmosphere with such little resistance. Best mileage on a larger trailer I ever heard of. Super!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts