RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have NO CONCERN with my engine however seems to now be burning 1/2qt oil every 8-9,000 miles. I have zero leaks or oil on the garage floor. Has any other 'higher' mileage ED owner noticed this?

Seems to have started around 150k...and I am impressed a diesel engine actually went this long w/o beginning to burn oil however my baseline is my 7.3 and completely different animal.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
So I have NO CONCERN with my engine however seems to now be burning 1/2qt oil every 8-9,000 miles. I have zero leaks or oil on the garage floor. Has any other 'higher' mileage ED owner noticed this?

Seems to have started around 150k...and I am impressed a diesel engine actually went this long w/o beginning to burn oil however my baseline is my 7.3 and completely different animal.
1/2 qt @ 8k - 9k is not bad.

I encourage you though to check the outlet pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and see how wet it is. If your oil seal(s) on the turbo are failing, you run the risk of a runaway if it gets excessive. Probably not something to be terribly concerned about, but next time you do service, perhaps just take a peek.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
When I last changed my oil it was at near exactly 10,000 miles. The level was down but less than a pint. It was not on the full mark but not quite half way to the add mark.

To me that meant nothing.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

I know you have been switching between oils lately and not sure how those switches correspond to the oil burn. The amount of oil that vaporizes away, especially at our relatively high engine oil temps, can vary between various engine oils of the same grade. I am not sure if that info is readily available for all the oils you use or not. Here is AMSOIL'S blurb about their signature oil that is suitable for our Ecodiesels.

Minimizes Oil Consumption
AMSOIL Signature Series Max-Duty has a low rate of volatility (burn-off), reducing oil consumption during operation and passing less oil vapor into the combustion chamber. It provides up to 76 percent less oil consumption than required by the API CK-4 standard in the Caterpillar-1N oil consumption test.

Additionally, theiur specs say the 5w40 oil for our trucks losses 9.2% by weight in the NOACK VOlatility test (ASTM D5880)and the 0W40 that I think you are using/have used 10.1% by weight. I don't know the details of that test nor do I know the specs for other oils.

Anyhow, you might want to have a look at that possibility.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have 136k miles on my '14. My OCI is currently 20k miles but I'm about a quart down at the 10k mile mark. I just add a quart and list that on the form for Blackstone Labs when I send my sample in.

Dave

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Howie the 10% on 0w40 seems right for my loss...no oil anywhere around turbo housing and DavidG seems you're loss slightly higher than mine. thank you all for the input.

Hit 186,000 2 days ago and seems like typical oil loss for a diesel...my engine remains very impressive to me...knock on wood...

I am on my second run of Amsoil 0w40...used remained from original order...went 18,500 on first run attached:

View attachment 176,000 UOA.pdf

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Shocked that the Blackstone report came back so positive after all that mileage. Their recommendation of going maybe 20,000 miles on each oil change flat out "floors" me.

Very pleased to see that report both for you and for your Amsoil oil choice. As an aside I must add you sure have "big ones" to even try to go that far. I think Vern has gone upwards of 15K on his oil but you are over that.

Respectfully yours.....

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Howie the 10% on 0w40 seems right for my loss...no oil anywhere around turbo housing and DavidG seems you're loss slightly higher than mine. thank you all for the input.

Hit 186,000 2 days ago and seems like typical oil loss for a diesel...my engine remains very impressive to me...knock on wood...

I am on my second run of Amsoil 0w40...used remained from original order...went 18,500 on first run attached:

View attachment 80102
perhaps the correct title is something like long oil change intervals in warm temps show the oil vaporization loss the oil specs suggest you should see......................? Seems likely you really are not burning it. Will be interesting to hear how apparent consumption changes over the hotter summer season.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I ran a hemi almost to 400,000 miles, mostly with 20,000 changes, used about 1/2 qt in the 20k interval, but I think mostly it was collected in the catch can. Convinced me to run a catch can on my Ecodiesel. I see about half as much collected with the diesel, but 3L vs 5.7L. I even run a catch can on my Diesel ATV.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Shocked that the Blackstone report came back so positive after all that mileage. Their recommendation of going maybe 20,000 miles on each oil change flat out "floors" me.

Very pleased to see that report both for you and for your Amsoil oil choice. As an aside I must add you sure have "big ones" to even try to go that far. I think Vern has gone upwards of 15K on his oil but you are over that.

Respectfully yours.....
No need for big cojones Captainmal; I'll keep pushing my OCI as long as Blackstone says my oil is still protecting my engine.

Dave

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
perhaps the correct title is something like long oil change intervals in warm temps show the oil vaporization loss the oil specs suggest you should see......................? Seems likely you really are not burning it. Will be interesting to hear how apparent consumption changes over the hotter summer season.
Oil vaporization is new to me and the NOACK Test...thank you for this info and yes...not burning just didn't underdstand how else to describe with no apparent leak and a good UOA.

It is interesting was not noticeable until 150k though. Although last summer was the lower base stock (yet excellent) Delo 5w40. Have 9k on this current change (0w40) and will swap filter soon.

Don't plan to go 20 rather 17-18. Just because 'I can' does not always mean 'I should'...

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I ran a hemi almost to 400,000 miles, mostly with 20,000 changes, used about 1/2 qt in the 20k interval, but I think mostly it was collected in the catch can. Convinced me to run a catch can on my Ecodiesel. I see about half as much collected with the diesel, but 3L vs 5.7L. I even run a catch can on my Diesel ATV.
I'd be curious if you ever took the contents of your catch can and heated it above 212 deg F to see if it spits and how much actually is water and is driven off. I believe you are experienced enough to recall the amount of water that came out the exhaust of engines of yore before the days of catalytic converters until the exhaust was hot enough upon exit of the tailpipe to carry it out as vapor and then you could see a steam cloud on very cold days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts