RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I know I said a long time ago, I was going to pull out the boat and give the new ED a proper test. Well... today was finally the day. The wife took the kids to her mom's... the weather was nice... and I had a free day. Also, I like to take the boat out for a shake down by myself, to make sure it's working right after sitting all winter.

The boat is a seadoo Islandia. It's 22', and has 3 gal of oil, 55 gal of fuel, and 25 gal of fresh water. The trailer is a heavy, 2 axle style. Fully loaded, we are looking at 5500 Lbs. But, the fuel was down, and I didn't have all the gear on board... so we can call it 5200 Lbs. Also, I took the surge brake off, and put on electric brakes.

OK... the first thing I have to say is... THE BACK UP CAMERA IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD !!!!!!!!! I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the extra $$$ on the camera, since I had to also get the parking alarm. But, today... I was able to back the truck up to the hitch, by myself, and without getting out of the truck 10 times to make sure I was OK. Any one on the fence with it, and you tow a heavy trailer... just do it.

The trip between my house and the lake is about 18 miles. It starts with VERY hilly, and twisty, back roads. (about 7mi) Then, it opens into a hilly section of highway (about 9 mi)... and then ends in a 2 lane that twists though the hills, and down to the ramp. (about 2 mi) So... as you can see... this wasn't a nice, flat, highway run.

With my old truck... I would have to adjust the brake control in each section. But the built in brake controller is very nice. I set it for about 6.5 on the gain, and it just worked everywhere. I only turned it off when backing down the boat ramp.

When leaving the house... I wasn't sure how it was going to go... but once I got out on the main street... and I put the throttle down to about 1/3rd... that little diesel pulled harder than I was expecting. And, to be honest... it accelerated noticeably better than my 2010 with the 4.7L V8.

Once on the highway... I set the cruse control at 55... and it held it perfectly. There are a few long climbs, and the truck just got a little louder, and went up. It didn't even down shift. (My old truck would have) Also... on the longer climb... the oil only got up to 230 degrees, and the coolant got up to 210. Once I crested... it quickly came back down.

When I got home... I was very happy to see that I was registering 16 mpg. On this same run... my 2010 would only be showing 10~10.5 mpg. I'll take that 6 mpg improvement all day long. I'm sure, if I was out on the highway longer... or in a flatter part of the world... I would have seen a lot better MPG's.

I am now happy with my new ED.

Reactions: TC's 1500

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is a wind sock behind your truck and you still got 16mpg. Thats great. I look forward to pulling my 21ft toyhauler in July and getting something better than the 10.5mpg I was getting with my Duramax.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Good report. Thanks. I'm hoping to have similar results.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
You use Tow-Haul mode?

Interesting about the brake controller. Mine worked perfect at a setting of 2.5 when towing the toy hauler. Much more and it would lock-up the trailer tires.

Agree on the back-up camera. One of the few technology things I like. Don't know what a "parking sensor" is. Doubt I have it or if I do, know nothing of it. Where I park makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... I used tow mode. I always use it when I put something behind me. Even if I have an empty utility trailer. It makes a noticeable difference in how it drives. If you leave it off... the truck feels like its bogging down, and shifts too much. With it on... it targets 2000 rpm while crushing, and holds gears longer.

As far as the lock-up on the tires... I've learned all trailers are different. And, I'm sure I could use an adjustment on the brake shoes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks Dr.!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just an FYI for everyone......

1) Looks like I will be pulling my boat up to Raystown Lake on Thursday. Its +100 mi each direction, with some UGLY hills along the way. (18% grades) I'll be back late Sat night. I'll make a new post on Sunday or Monday with the results.

2) The auto 4wd is a nice feature to have. Both the pull out area, and the exit to the park can get a little ugly (steep, with a turn at the top, and a little gravel) I've seen a few 2wd trucks spin, and get stuck. But with the 4wd auto... it would lock in the front axle, and let me pull, but would disconnect, and allow me to turn the steering while getting on the asphalt.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice setup. I'm familiar with Raystown lake(roughly an hrs drive from me) and the hills ya got to cross to get to it. It will be a good test, but should do just fine.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Raystown is not a place I ever fished. Heard it was poor fishing during the day and decent at night in the deeper parts. Not sure what people were catching as I don't think walleye or stripers are there. Maybe just bass, pike and an occasional musky.

Has it changed?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Are you all talking about Raystown in PA? I would like to get over there this summer. Friends say it is very nice lake.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep..

It's a nice lake. Has a bunch of restricted zones (no-wake or no-ski)... but not a big deal.

Just got home. New tow post to follow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

I know I said a long time ago, I was going to pull out the boat and give the new ED a proper test. Well... today was finally the day. The wife took the kids to her mom's... the weather was nice... and I had a free day. Also, I like to take the boat out for a shake down by myself, to make sure it's working right after sitting all winter.

The boat is a seadoo Islandia. It's 22', and has 3 gal of oil, 55 gal of fuel, and 25 gal of fresh water. The trailer is a heavy, 2 axle style. Fully loaded, we are looking at 5500 Lbs. But, the fuel was down, and I didn't have all the gear on board... so we can call it 5200 Lbs. Also, I took the surge brake off, and put on electric brakes.

OK... the first thing I have to say is... THE BACK UP CAMERA IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD !!!!!!!!! I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the extra $$$ on the camera, since I had to also get the parking alarm. But, today... I was able to back the truck up to the hitch, by myself, and without getting out of the truck 10 times to make sure I was OK. Any one on the fence with it, and you tow a heavy trailer... just do it.

The trip between my house and the lake is about 18 miles. It starts with VERY hilly, and twisty, back roads. (about 7mi) Then, it opens into a hilly section of highway (about 9 mi)... and then ends in a 2 lane that twists though the hills, and down to the ramp. (about 2 mi) So... as you can see... this wasn't a nice, flat, highway run.

With my old truck... I would have to adjust the brake control in each section. But the built in brake controller is very nice. I set it for about 6.5 on the gain, and it just worked everywhere. I only turned it off when backing down the boat ramp.

When leaving the house... I wasn't sure how it was going to go... but once I got out on the main street... and I put the throttle down to about 1/3rd... that little diesel pulled harder than I was expecting. And, to be honest... it accelerated noticeably better than my 2010 with the 4.7L V8.

Once on the highway... I set the cruse control at 55... and it held it perfectly. There are a few long climbs, and the truck just got a little louder, and went up. It didn't even down shift. (My old truck would have) Also... on the longer climb... the oil only got up to 230 degrees, and the coolant got up to 210. Once I crested... it quickly came back down.

When I got home... I was very happy to see that I was registering 16 mpg. On this same run... my 2010 would only be showing 10~10.5 mpg. I'll take that 6 mpg improvement all day long. I'm sure, if I was out on the highway longer... or in a flatter part of the world... I would have seen a lot better MPG's.

I am now happy with my new ED.

I am planning on buying a boat and trailer combo that will be 8000lbs wet. I am concerned about pulling it up out of the water on a steep ramp. Do you use 4 low to get your boat out and up the ramp?

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Laramie; New Compliant GDE
31 Posts
I am planning on buying a boat and trailer combo that will be 8000lbs wet. I am concerned about pulling it up out of the water on a steep ramp. Do you use 4 low to get your boat out and up the ramp?
I just did two recent lake trips with a 5500lb Supra, I had zero issue pulling the boat out in 2wd. Both ramps are pretty steep one is was short (25yards) other one is pretty long (100yards) and I also had 3 adults in the boat and myself in the truck so might have been around 6k in the boat. I just make sure I get the truck as warmed up as I can before I pull the boat out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts