RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

First and only fully deleted 2020

20K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  RichBenn 
#1 ·
Well fellas I can now say I have the only 2020 eco fully deleted and tuned. Just removed the primary cooler and obviously straight piped the truck, still working on how to get the secondary out but hey got time for that as I allow all the others to catch up. Funny thing is i have accomplished everything in my garage. Don’t know why these company’s swear it to be so difficult.

#3 ·
Well I’m in negative 7 right now and have been rolling around basically all year with no issues. So I don’t know what they are testing for that I have not, I have towed 7k for 4hr plus trips and in town many days and I have driven in stop and go traffic for many hours and days I have also traveled to Florida 1800 miles one way and spent 3 weeks down there no issues. So basically they only thing I have not tuned is the transmission because i feel there is no need to and with the extra 65hp this thing really feels like a monster. My truck now has 18k miles happily tuned.

#5 ·
18k on a Gen 3 and tuned the whole time? With no issues?

So did you do this yourself with HP tuners or did you get it from a third party company? Are you their test vehicle?

#7 ·
18k on a Gen 3 and tuned the whole time? With no issues?

So did you do this yourself with HP tuners or did you get it from a third party company? Are you their test vehicle?
No I did not use HP tuner nor am I a test vehicle. I have accomplished my tune by writing to the ecu. Via software on my laptop. I was also the first to remove the defuser pipe on a gen 3 and roll around like that. I have 23k mile 18k which have been tuned.

#10 ·
Main difference in the color delete for the gen 3 will be these two coolant lines, on the hard line the gen 2 has a hole for a bolt that goes to the block. On gen 3 no hole as you can see from photos and on the rubber lines gen 2 has a line that goes upward from the housing gen 3 does not.

Attachments

#13 ·
Taking parts off the vehicle and turning off the codes is not the difficult or time consuming part. Testing and validation takes more time. If amping up the power levels, best to pull fully loaded trailers up Davis Dam at 100 F in the summer and also Eisenhower pass in CO with 75 F ambient. Both these are extreme tests that will weed out so-so tuning. Have you measured turbo shaft speeds at full load stock vs. tuned? Any data on cylinder pressure with this added power? These are a couple key parameters needed to determine engine life.

Now put all the parts back on, develop a tune with added power, improved fuel economy, cleaner engine oil while still keeping it road legal and meeting EPA regulations. This is not an easy venture.

#14 ·
you are right it’s not an easy task, but while you guys are scared of your shadows and won’t even answer my questions when I have called i have had to take matters on to my own hands. If you have read my previous post I have towed max weight and have been in different temp levels have not gone through those passes you have mentioned. I have successfully added 65hp to my truck with safe readings and it’s been so for 18k miles. You guys won’t even give support for the already tuned 2 gen i have with your tune on it. But don’t worry this is not about selling a product for me or taking customers it a hobby and enjoy pushing myself. Also I hate owning a 55k truck that is un reliable my truck broke down with only 800 miles on it due to the def system. Hey maybe if you guys would answer the phone we can have a decent conversation and maybe I could help you guys speed up the process for all the guys that want your compliant tune. Let me know id love to help you guys.

#16 ·
@EcoNoob i understand your frustration with no support on the gen2 pre epa tune. However I think GDE could land in hot water if the epa knew they were still supporting their old tunes.

I reached out to GDE for help when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my engine. I presume Keith was on the other end of the email. We went back and forth several times where he provided me with direction and advice when I asked for it.

#17 ·
@EcoNoob i understand your frustration with no support on the gen2 pre epa tune. However I think GDE could land in hot water if the epa knew they were still supporting their old tunes.

I reached out to GDE for help when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my engine. I presume Keith was on the other end of the email. We went back and forth several times where he provided me with direction and advice when I asked for it.
Well you got more than I did I received an email saying put all your parts back on and take it to the dealer for repair and then buy our emission compliant tune. Lol come on. I mean really let’s think about this they are working on a tune that emissions friendly but what as the consumer are you really buying??? Reliability??? No the systems are still there and functioning if your def or egr fail you will still receive the 500 mile limit and then no start code. And let’s say their hot tune some how destroys your engine and the dealer sees the truck was tuned wether emissions are intact or not they will call it the cause of failure so then what??? $1500 for a non reliable truck and a few extra horsepower don’t see the justification even if it’s $800 rather buy a pedal Comander

#18 ·
Your curiosity and skills would be welcomed a years ago but things are much different today. The public isn't fond of anything rolling coal and diesel lovers dislike anyone giving giving diesel a bad name.

And of course few if any established US tune companies today would risk their business helping someone break the law. And it might be even crazier to assume any sophisticated person would respond to an email (think forensics) with instructions on how to break the law.

#19 ·
Your curiosity and skills would be welcomed a years ago but things are much different today. The public isn't fond of anything rolling coal and diesel lovers dislike anyone giving giving diesel a bad name.

And of course few if any established US tune companies today would risk their business helping someone break the law. And it might be even crazier to assume any sophisticated person would respond to an email (think forensics) with instructions on how to break the law.
well no one seemed to mind breaking the law including the so called establishments and sophisticated individuals until they got called out. That always seems to be the way it goes everyone is all in until they get in trouble and start talking straight like they never did anything wrong. There was no difference in the epa’s standard back then as there is now. It was always illegal oh wait sorry if it was off road purposes only then magically you where compliant. Please.

#26 ·
But everyone that bought the delete kits acknowledge that it was for off road purposes only and still tuned and deletes and drove there trucks around like it was all gravy. Everyone. Can’t blame the company’s they just covered there rear end by stating off road only. But they knew, they didn’t mind making a profit. I mean if every vehicle that was tuned for off road would actually be off road the streets would be empty.

#34 ·
I didn't want to be the guy who said that. But since you opened the lid....

99% of people don't have the ability to tune their own trucks. Probably 99.8% actually. So this thread really had no purpose from the very beginning.

If you want to do something helpful, SHOW US how to do it and what items we'll need to gather and how the process will go. Otherwise I guess I just don't see the point of this thread at all. I'm not knocking anybody. So don't think that's my intention. I just don't see what the purpose here is....

Reactions: Havanajoe
#35 ·
Am I the only one that wants one of these garage tunes? I mean if you haven't drank toilet-bowl hooch, are you really living? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

EcoNoob, it's easy to be critical of GDE for not supporting pre-ban tuning, but the old saying is unless you've walked a mile in their shoes......

#36 ·
Good work on the self tune, subscribing, I want to hear more on how you did it.

Reactions: EcoNoob
#38 ·
EcoNoob, it's easy to be critical of GDE for not supporting pre-ban tuning, but the old saying is unless you've walked a mile in their shoes......
[/QUOTE]
I don’t and will never walk in anyone’s shoes nor follow anyone’s lead. That’s for the sheep. Guess that’s y I defended the flag so people have a right to be. But I guess there are more than a few in this world. The point of the thread is and was to help those who want to mod there trucks but I guess that’s why people that accomplish things in life don’t share how, they will be meet with naysayers that can’t accomplish what others have. So I will take the hint and no longer post on this forum.

#40 ·
I don’t and will never walk in anyone’s shoes nor follow anyone’s lead. That’s for the sheep. Guess that’s y I defended the flag so people have a right to be. But I guess there are more than a few in this world. The point of the thread is and was to help those who want to mod there trucks but I guess that’s why people that accomplish things in life don’t share how, they will be meet with naysayers that can’t accomplish what others have. So I will take the hint and no longer post on this forum.
[/QUOTE]
If you feel like this was a personal attack I apologize it was not intended that way. But you didn't direct the post towards diy more towards slamming companies for not doing what you think they should. Ive grilled gde hard in the past as well im definitely not some fan boy. Either way im done here so best of luck going forward I am interested in what the 3rd gens can do even though I have no interest in owning one.

#42 ·
There have been thousands and thousands of solidly tuned trucks done by people who learned tuning themselves. The only community I am aware of that thinks tuning is some mythical, magical thing is the ecodiesel community and its because GDE has put that out there like that. Because anything to the contrary isn't good business for them.
Its a diesel engine, and GDE didn't do anything special when tuning it above what any other tuner is capable of. Anyone can do it if they try and there are hundreds if not thousands of extremely talented tuners that can tune an ecodiesel to the specs GDE has. There simply hasn't been the demand. Most people who buy an ecodiesel don't even think of tuning...

People need to understand that this engine isn't as unique as its be portrayed to be.... I guarantee any solid tuner who has worked on the Ford 6.0 could tune an ecodiesel using his knowledge and experience tuning that engine without any input from this forum or any other.

#46 ·
EcoNoob .... Gotta have thick skin to deal/ post on the internet ... Mostly mob mentality with a lack mechanical knowledge..

Please stick around, Enjoying your work and testing.. Curious where you able to access tuning through security on OBD port ? Or did you remove ECU and remove the cover?

Good Luck 🍀
I removed the ecu didn’t have have luck via obd port

#48 ·
Hey so how about your mpg ,did that improve by like 20% or around?I had a previous gen ram diesel and sold it and looking into buying the new one(gen 3)and would like to do a full delete right away.where I reside there is no emissions testing so anything goes.Kudos to you for what you achieved and keep exploring that way life it's never boring.

#58 ·
Same here, I like to eventually like to try it myself once my warranty is up.

#61 ·
Hi I just started doing research on delete kits for 2020 Ecodiesels and really haven't found anything until coming across you on a google search. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind talking to me about that? I'm really not a mechanic but after what I've learned just by doing a little research tonight I'm pretty upset that I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Learning about the EGR system and how it dumps soot into my cylinders I'm thoroughly sickened by the whole damn thing. Anyways I'm just learning what I can and really only started tonight. So far I'm seeing that I need to Delete my EGR, DPF, SCR and tune my ECU.

I feel like going out and ripping my truck apart right now just cannot believe how much we get shafted by everything.

Anyway I'm looking for a solution and your the first person out on the web who's had anything positive to add to this whole thing. Seems like all the stuff out there stopped at 2019 and anything produced beyond that we're on our own.

#62 ·
Hi I just started doing research on delete kits for 2020 Ecodiesels and really haven't found anything until coming across you on a google search. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind talking to me about that? I'm really not a mechanic but after what I've learned just by doing a little research tonight I'm pretty upset that I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Learning about the EGR system and how it dumps soot into my cylinders I'm thoroughly sickened by the whole damn thing. Anyways I'm just learning what I can and really only started tonight. So far I'm seeing that I need to Delete my EGR, DPF, SCR and tune my ECU.
Welcome to the forum - first post.

Back about when this thread started the EPA did a major crackdown on tuners and deletes. Most all of those marketing delete equipment were either fined out of business or chose to get out before being caught and fined. In response near all, maybe all forums started to either ban or discourage discussion on deleting diesel vehicles. That's why you are not reading near anything about deletes today.

I have no clue to offer you a way to currently find the ECU and other equipment to do a delete on a 2020 Ecodiesel or newer. Even the Canadian products seem to have been taken off the market or now are hidden from public promotion. Surely there must be some way and your request to individuals is probably a good way to get that information. Try some PM's on the forum to them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.