RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a diesel, dont know anything about them, maintenance, up keep etc... can we start a thread from experienced guys for us newbies?? Im scared im going to forget I have a diesel and put reg gas in it!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Shop a little more tenaciously for good diesel prices than you do gas. It's not unusual in my area for diesel prices to vary by 40cents/gal when gas prices vary only 10cents/gal.

Every month I tow to race tracks, mostly 4-8hrs away, but once or twice/yr I'll go to a really distant track. Before I go I hit websites that track fuel prices and then plan my fuel stop. With my current truck I can carry 58gal of diesel so we're talking >$200 to fill. With my ordered Ecodiesel I'll have a smaller aux tank so only 46gal. Getting an extra 10cents off per gallon by trying a little harder really doesn't save me a helova lot of money I suppose, but somehow the hobby is kinda addictive.

Do some reading on cetane additives. Not the marketing crap, go to a site with good info like bobistheoilguy (bitog). They make a pretty good case for adding cetane to your fuel. I prob do it only about 1/3rd of the time tho. I've been too lazy to come up with a container that both easily pours into the filler port and also won't leak the smelly stuff around the truck's bed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Buy fuel at a station that gets a lot of diesel vehicle traffic.

·
Registered
693 Posts
There's nothing to know about idling it.

Diesels can be cranky to start when it's really cold. Pun intended. Folks that live in the snowbelt have block heaters in their engine and plug them in (extension cord to AC power) or switch them on when it's particularly cold out. This would be something you'd do 15-120min prior to starting the truck. Where I live it rarely gets below freezing so I wouldn't bother. If it gets down really cold where you live, then it might be an issue.

The diesel supplement to the owner's manual is available for download here. My Ram Trucks: Ram Owners Service Manuals - Ram Cars, Minivans, SUVs

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Here's your tip. Put diesel in it. Then go run the snot out of the pickup. Diesel engines like to run hard and long.

Buy the time you get 20K on it you will have it feel normal Then change the fuel filter, oil and do it again.

After a hard run, like stopping at a rest stop on the interstate, let it idle for a little bit before shutting it off. I just let it idle and lock the doors. You want to keep your turbo happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Uh don't run the piss out of it until it's up to operating temp. Prolonged idle time will clog the DPF filters. After you've run the truck hard make sure to let it idle for a few minutes to cool the turbo. Regardless I always let mine idle for 30 seconds before shutting the truck off. Keeping filters changed is critical for the life of a diesel motor, throw some Diesel Kleen in every other tank to keep your injectors lubricated. Enjoy your truck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts