RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing major just a PITA. I went to remote start my truck this morning before voting and it wouldn't start. I got in the truck and started it and almost immediately got a door open message...hmm, that's why it wouldn't remote start. So I get out and go to the passenger's side which is where the icon was indicating and both doors are closed. I go to open the rear door and the handle is loose like it had disconnected from the internal door linkage. I fear that even if nothing's broken they will have to pull the door panel which always worries me and often results in rattles.

What's weird is that I used that door on Sunday and didn't notice anything wrong so it must have happened when I closed it. I'm also pretty sure that this isn't just a 2020 issue as I don't think the door latches have changed.

I go in Thursday for the initial evaluation.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sounds like she just wants a bit of attention from you. Other than that how you liking your new rig, looks like a nice ride you got there.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel stupid. So I went to my dealer to have my broken door fixed under warranty and while I was in the waiting room the SA came over and asked me of the door broke before or after the truck was hit! My jaw dropped, I had no idea. She brought me to the truck and it looked like something hit the rear passenger door. The tech was just reinstalling the handle when I walked out there and he told me that the module inside the door was broken. I apologized and went back to the service desk and asked what I owed them and the tech, the same guy who has worked on my ecod's since 2015 said "nothin".

In my defense the truck was covered right up to the window with road salt and my attention was focused on the broken door and I never noticed the dent.

So yesterday I brought my truck to the detailer who is going to do my Kenzo this weekend and he had called his dent guy who was going to try to fix it. I was worried, and so was he, that there would not be any way to access the dent with the tools. Luckily he was able to roll down the window, slip in about a 1'x1' metal plate between the window and the frame and get his tools behind the brace which was right behind the dent. Took him 1.5 hours and he charged me 75 bucks. I was happy with the results. Now I'm awaiting a call from the dealer with an estimate on the lock repair.

Pics actually don't show how bad the dent was, It went through the body line and had two points in the "crease" where there was deeper indents from the ragged end of the broken branch.

And fixed. Again, 75 bucks, cant tell you how happy I am with the results.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They did a great job!!
Yea, very happy with it. I was really worried that I was going to have to live with it because the body shop wanted to paint the whole door and the cab around the the back which would cause them to remove the bed. Way too invasive IMO. This is the second dent I've had removed on this truck. These paint-less Dent guys are amazing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's amazing what those dent guys can do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks like a good job. Be thankful that the paint didn't crack during the repair. I had a similar dent on the leading edge of my hood that a paintless dent repair guy removed. While he was working on it, the paint in the dent cracked. The repair is invisible except for a small paint crack where the dent was. I'm not too concerned because it's on the leading edge of the hood which will get plenty of rock chips over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts