RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took our first long trip with the ED, about 2000 miles total, towing a 5200 lb loaded Airstream travel trailer, with a light 200 lb load in the bed. Also have a Hensley-Arrow non-sway hitch, which adds about 90 lbs of tongue weight.

Notably, this was also the first tow after swapping the GY SRAs for BFG A/T KO2s. They came in very handy for a lot of dirt and gravel roads, low stream crossings, and climbing over a few berms. I figured towing mileage would be down with the heavier, higher-resistance tires, but surprisingly, it was only down about 1 MPG. We got 16-17 MPG consistently, over varied terrain including a couple of middling mountain passes (4000 ft or so). All indicated fluid and trans temps stayed within normal-high ranges, even when the Arizona desert hit 105F a few times.

My biggest surprise was under PERFECT conditions, for about 120 miles, I got an indicated 19+ MPG. Never saw that towing with my old German diesel SUV! Combined with a 26 gallon tank, I swear we could have driven all the way across west Texas without a fill-up!
These are the perfect conditions: 1) Measure only one way, slow, long downhill coming off the plateau toward the desert flats, on Interstate highway. 2) Using very light throttle, tow/haul mode OFF, and keeping around 62 mph/100 km/h. 3) Empty water and holding tanks in the trailer. 4) Favorable westerly tailwind of about 15 knots.

Still, getting 16-17 MPG under normal, varying towing conditions is great.

So, after 6 months and 11,000 miles, I am still really loving this truck.

MPG.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Great report. Got a pick of your setup? Did you do any set up work with the hitch at the scale?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts