RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 F-250 diesel. Ford got lazy and installed a tank designed for gas. This is an issue because the tank's vent was designed for fuel that doesn't foam like diesel does. So when I fill my tank I only get 24gal of diesel and 4gal of foam in my >28gal tank.

Work-arounds. 1) Stand there at the gas station and with the patience of a saint spend 20min dribbling in the last several gallons. Or 2) Put some diesel into a fuel jug and after the truck sits for some hours so the foam goes away, use the jug to top off the tank. Or 3) For the F-250 there is a mod where you drop the tank, reach inside of it and cut off most of the vent pipe that sticks down.

If Ram has done this cleverly, the diesel tank has a different vent design then the gas version of the same tank. It has a 26gal tank? So if the vent is cleverly done, expect 24gal of real capacity unless you dribble or top off. If the vent is not cleverly done, expect 22gal of capacity.

Once/month I go on a long tow with a 24' enclosed and get 13mpg. The day before the trip I'll go to my favorite low cost diesel station and with 50gal fill up the primary tank and the aux tank in the bed. But the next morning, to my irritation, with foam gone and aux tank draining into primary tank I'll be already 1/3rd a tank down because I had 8gal of foam. If the next morning I use a couple fuel jugs to fill the aux tank, I end up with ~58gal at the start of the roadtrip and even @13mpg that's a lot of range.

I'm going to get an aux tank for the 1500 when it shows up, but it will be a small one. The CC shortbed is pretty short, and it's payload limited so maybe 10-15 gal.

The current aux tank is a pretty primitive affair. I checked out what the laws were, then bought a fuel tank on CL from a guy that was parting out a Ford SUV, and fastened it and it's big plastic shield to the bed. Since the tank came from a Ford the sender was compatible with the gauge on my dash so I put in a switch that connected the dash gauge to either primary tank or sender tank. Finally I plumbed a cheap inline fuel pump in between aux tank and primary tank filler tube and put in another switch.

The aux tank for the 1500 will be a bit classier affair.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a 2000 F-250 diesel. Ford got lazy and installed a tank designed for gas. This is an issue deal because the tank's vent was designed for fuel that doesn't foam like diesel does. So when I fill my tank I only get 24gal of diesel and 4gal of foam in my >28gal tank.

Work-arounds. 1) Stand there at the gas station and with the patience of a saint spend 20min dribbling in the last several gallons. Or 2) Put some diesel into a fuel jug and after the truck sits for some hours so the foam goes away, use the jug to top off the tank. Or 3) For the F-250 there is a mod where you drop the tank, reach inside of it and cut off most of the vent pipe that sticks down.

If Ram has done this cleverly, the diesel tank has a different vent design then the gas version of the same tank. It has a 26gal tank? So if the vent is cleverly done, expect 24gal of real capacity unless you dribble or top off. If the vent is not cleverly done, expect 22gal of capacity.

Once/month I go on a long tow with a 24' enclosed and get 13mpg. The day before the trip I'll go to my favorite low cost diesel station and with 50gal fill up the primary tank and the aux tank in the bed. But the next morning, to my irritation, with foam gone and aux tank draining into primary tank I'll be already 1/3rd a tank down because I had 8gal of foam. If the next morning I use a couple fuel jugs to fill the aux tank, I end up with ~58gal at the start of the roadtrip and even @13mpg that's a lot of range.

I'm going to get an aux tank for the 1500 when it shows up, but it will be a small one. The CC shortbed is pretty short, and it's payload limited so maybe 10-15 gal.

The current aux tank is a pretty primitive affair. I checked out what the laws were, then bought a fuel tank on CL from a guy that was parting out a Ford SUV, and fastened it and it's big plastic shield to the bed. Since the tank came from a Ford the sender was compatible with the gauge on my dash so I put in a switch that connected the dash gauge to either primary tank or sender tank. Finally I plumbed a cheap inline fuel pump in between aux tank and primary tank filler tube and put in another switch.

The aux tank for the 1500 will be a bit classier affair.
Good question, that's definitely something I'll add to my list of things to check out when mine shows up. I'm also looking forward to weighing my truck with the cap on and the dog in the back so I can decide on an aux tank(but I may forego it). I have concerns with the dog messin with the tank/equipment.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I’m curious as well; my 2500 uses a gasser tank. Guys will vent the top of it to the filler next so they can add 4-5 more gallons of fuel. I did it and am wondering If this will need done on a 1500 as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I couldn't believe the rinky dink green fuel cap they put on this thing the first time I filled. I know now it is the shipping cap and there is supposed to be no cap. I am going to keep the green cap until it gets old or lost and then get the 1 1/2 inch Femco from plumbing store. Anyway, anytime I tried to top off too much I ended up with fuel spilling all over from some invisible overflow behind fender and all over the pavement. It looks like it will take practice to know when to stop topping off without spilling. I also can't see down the filler to see if I have liquid or foam at the top...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I couldn't believe the rinky dink green fuel cap they put on this thing the first time I filled. I know now it is the shipping cap and there is supposed to be no cap. I am going to keep the green cap until it gets old or lost and then get the 1 1/2 inch Femco from plumbing store. Anyway, anytime I tried to top off too much I ended up with fuel spilling all over from some invisible overflow behind fender and all over the pavement. It looks like it will take practice to know when to stop topping off without spilling. I also can't see down the filler to see if I have liquid or foam at the top...
My first fill up after I washed my truck had water in that cheesy green cap so I would not go without it!!! Fair warning for all, there's only one place for that water to go without a shop vac and I don't normally haul one around with me.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Talk to westondan about getting a billet aluminum cap a whole bunch of us on here bought them a ways back. They form a tight seal and are really well made!

·
Registered
360 Posts
My first fill up after I washed my truck had water in that cheesy green cap so I would not go without it!!! Fair warning for all, there's only one place for that water to go without a shop vac and I don't normally haul one around with me.
I have washed my truck about once per week since mid April without any water behind the fuel fill door. No water behind the door after driving in rain either.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Interesting never knew a fill up could be a challenge. Only 1/2 way through my first tank.
Home depot plumbing section for a 1 1/2" rubber ABS pipe end. I think it was $3. They had splashed DEF fluid around inside the filler door, it dries to a white powder and is not easy to wipe out. Covering the inlet and washing inside was the only way I could get it clean.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Still trying to find that point where I can cram the most fuel into the tank, and not have it puke out on the ground. Very annyoing to think I'd filled it to the brim, only to see that fuel had been running out onto the ground. I've only "filled up" once, more like I put more in, due to the dealer being a cheap SOB and filling it jussst to touch the F line, rental car style. Found it odd that I was at 3/4 within 150 miles of driving.

Anyone made note of how much extra they can get in after the nozzle clicks off, without it making a mess?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Talk to westondan about getting a billet aluminum cap a whole bunch of us on here bought them a ways back. They form a tight seal and are really well made!
I'll second this, get the aluminum cap. They look great and with the rubber o-ring form a tight seal. Find the threads for 'new gas cap' or an older thread - keeping bugs and stuff out of your fuel filler.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I totally agree with Chris. The cap has a o ring and seals very well. It makes me feel much better than the shipping cap or no cap. I don't buy the original design concept of not needing a cap.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
The second flapper in the fuel tank holds fuel in my filler. If you leave the top flapper uncovered, get water on it or something else, it will leak down past that top and stick on the second flapper until it's depressed. Then it simply falls into the tank.

There has to be a vent. It must be between the valve that fills from my extra tank and that second flapper. My extra tank will fill to that valve and stop an overflow. Above that is where it must be.

Ranger...I recommend that RDS 20 gallon I have. You have seen pictures. After installation and usage for a couple months, I find no glitches. Did toss the original fuel cap with that key and put an old, unvented cap on without key. I am sick of keys and the issues they create.

Also had to open the tank vent to get flow. Got bitched at by RDs for leaving the cap on. Ended up with a short hose and cheap filter hanging from it to keep the vent clean. All is fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is there any risk of an aftermarket cap causing a problem with pressure or vacuum in the tank ? I know in my other diesels, fuel cap vents could actually get plugged. If they don't vent, and you get a vacuum as fuel is consumed, it causes your lift pump to work harder, and could even stress the injector pump or common rail pump leading to premature failure. If you ever hear air pressure rush past the cap when you remove it, its probably not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Gas Cap for our trucks

This is currently on eBay. I don't know if its the same seller we all worked with two months back, but its not cheap... ;)

And this is the thread where we bought ours. Check with Dan (westondan) to see if his supplier is still making units, and feel free to try to organize another group buy. I can honestly say this... having one, and having put one on a friend's 2500, I'd buy one again even at the much higher price of the one on eBay. The quality is simply at 100%.

And does foam really take that long to settle down? Doesn't seem to be an issue in my VWs, and they use tanks designed for gas. Seconds is all it ever takes for me to be able to top off. Granted, those seconds feel like forever to me...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Both tanks were full. Used a $3.00 1 1/2" rubber ABS cap from Home Depot to cover the spout. Comes in black:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gas Cap for our trucks

This is currently on eBay. I don't know if its the same seller we all worked with two months back, but its not cheap... ;)

And this is the thread where we bought ours. Check with Dan (westondan) to see if his supplier is still making units, and feel free to try to organize another group buy. I can honestly say this... having one, and having put one on a friend's 2500, I'd buy one again even at the much higher price of the one on eBay. The quality is simply at 100%.

And does foam really take that long to settle down? Doesn't seem to be an issue in my VWs, and they use tanks designed for gas. Seconds is all it ever takes for me to be able to top off. Granted, those seconds feel like forever to me...
I bought one thru the "WestonDan" connection last week. $40 which includes shipping, (a little more for our friends from the North.) Contacted them on a Tuesday and had it in hand on Friday. Great price and service.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Still trying to find that point where I can cram the most fuel into the tank, and not have it puke out on the ground. Very annyoing to think I'd filled it to the brim, only to see that fuel had been running out onto the ground. I've only "filled up" once, more like I put more in, due to the dealer being a cheap SOB and filling it jussst to touch the F line, rental car style. Found it odd that I was at 3/4 within 150 miles of driving.

Anyone made note of how much extra they can get in after the nozzle clicks off, without it making a mess?
These guys got over 28 gallons in their tank.

Hypermiling a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel to 38.1 mpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts